Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stricktly Chord voicing Jazz Blues

Thanks joe pass jr, I managed to tab some of the choruses, they're not the same as the mp3 but it pretty much nails my approach.I started teaching myself to read a month back started with strictly getting the notes down,my note and time values suck hence the ptb is in quarter notes Play with the time
    "Personaly I'd rather hear Albert King drop his guitar on the foor,than hear a jazz guitarist play streams of sixteen notes"--Scot Henderson
    Hope the the ptb helps --regards-
    Hermit
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks a lot for the ptb. IMO there is a need for educational stuff for most of us on chord voicings and comping, and your contribution is great. I see that we have a quite similar approach in the beginning, and then you really take off in a great way. Hope your and Joe's inspirational contributions will bring more members out on the scene

Thanks for the ptb hermit,, today i actually decided to put some extra time into practicing my comping techniques, you gave me some interesting ideas.. thanks..

maybe you guys might want to have a stab at the chord melody thread i got going. no doubt you will destroy me like shred did.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Thanks for the kind words guys,and you're right gersdal our approach is very similar,i figured all the altered notes of the v chord the 5,9,13 are all a semi-tone above or below the 5ths and the one of the iim of the ii v 1,in this case the [Bm] and the [Am] so i just play around with that,hope this makes some sense...........regards
    hermit
    P.s-Joe il take a crack at your thread as soon as i can

I listened to your track earlier today hermit, and I liked it. I also listened to the Pitch-Axis take, very good. Keep on recording your strictlies! There's a bunch left.

I was working on that 4 fret technique someone mentioned in the forums and came up with this little doozie. If you dont know what im talking about. Simply find all the chords and inversions you can in a 4 fret span. Its a great tool for understanding the chord shapes/inversions. Anyway.Enjoy.
    Ill post some tab later on. This one is in F too.. all chords were built between the 7th and 11th frets. I know its not that melodic, ill get into the extended chords next.. one thing at a time hey
    Last edited by Joe Pass Jr; 05-28-2006 at 01:49 PM.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Great stuff Joe. I'll have to try that...

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Study piano

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pass Jr
    I was working on that 4 fret technique someone mentioned in the forums and came up with this little doozie. If you dont know what im talking about. Simply find all the chords and inversions you can in a 4 fret span. Its a great tool for understanding the chord shapes/inversions. Anyway.Enjoy.
    Ill post some tab later on. This one is in F too.. all chords were built between the 7th and 11th frets. I know its not that melodic, ill get into the extended chords next.. one thing at a time hey
    Good idea. Lenny Breau once said during an interview with Tal Farlow that it was not until he studied piano that he understood this sort of chord movement. The same movement is possible in it's own way on guitar but it takes a different mindset.

My take:

Looks great, I'm going to try it tonight... :-) Thanks.