Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Exercise Calendar Anyone??

Bass Exercise Calendar Anyone??

Any of you bass dudes interested in starting a Bass calendar like us guitar guys did in the Guitar Technique forum? Check out the guitar calendar we started. There are several guitarists from iBreatheMusic contributing exercises.

http://www.365practicesessions.com

Are there bass technique exercises?

If you guys can contribute enough information I can start a bass subdomain or include them on the same calendar. Now that I have the calendar infrastructure built up it would be easy to start one.

A bass exercise calender would be great too, but I can't help you much there. All my bass exercises are walking bass lines along with the metronome... Probably a little boring for real bass players. Is it possible to writean exercise on Victor Wotten bass technique? Slapping?

Sounds good but i don't know if i could do this.
    I'm not really into that Victor Wooten jazz stuff much and i can't play it. I admire it for it's technical ability but that stuff just doesn't do anything for me.
    If it is a variety of styles and techniqes that would be great. I can slap but im not a big fan of it. I prefer the traditional rock bassists along the lines of JPJones, Geezer Butler, Cliff Burton etc. If you need some ideas i can think of some stuff. Scales, hand dexterity and co-ordination, arpeggioes, chords, soloing and melodic ideas over backings, different styles, playing with distortion...

Satch,

Those ideas sound great. I would not be able to contribute to the exercises for bass at all because I am not a bass player. I own a bass but thats it. With the guitar calendar I can fill in if I don't have enough exercises but on a bass one I would not and I would have to rely on others to contribute. I would probably use the bass calendar to get better...

I can do some stuff for you. Just tell me how or what i need and i can make a few lesson and stuff. It is also a great way to re-visit my theory and scale knowledge.
    I've got got good ideas.

Sadly, this seems to goin nowhere fast for those of you
    who like the idea but don't/can't participate there is a
    book,(Is'nt there always) by David Overthrow called 30
    day Bass Workout.I never actually used it, it was one of
    those books that you see and you think it could be useful
    so you buy,and wait for a rainy day.Somehow it got relegated
    to the cellar.Anyway I just had another look through it,
    and it seems to be the biz. It's got all sorts of exercises ,
    warm-up's ,strength builders ,arps,stretches, dexterity,
    synchronisation ,blah!blah! Think I'm gonna give it a shot
    over the next month... and see what kinda results it brings. Isbn 0-7390-2342-X

I am willing to set up a calendar. However, I have recieved no bass exercises. If you have some I will start collecting them. Send them to:

NewExercise@365practicesessions.com

And I can setup a bass subdomain. I will set one up as soon I as Start getting exercises.

Do you require power/guitar pro tabs or is standard ASCI tab notation fine? To tell you the truth i couldn't transcribe in guitar pro if my life depended on it. I can do audio recordings of the exercises and i can type up normal tabs and explain everything in clear , basic English. I should get to work on a few exercises.

Standard ASCII notation is fine. I can convert them to powertab easily for you. I am looking forward to your input. I will work on putting a Bass calendar header together.

Will have some exercises and a relatively easy solo up soon...
    4-string mjr rager

I have created a Bass Exercise Calendar at the following location (no exercises posted yet):

http://bass.365practicesessions.com

I have a few exercises that Torin has provided. I will be working on getting them up tomorrow. We will need a lot more exercises to fill this calendar out. You bass players get rolling on those exercises. Go to the site to see how to contribute. I will not be able to fill in with my own exercises since I do not play bass ...so I need you guys and gals to build this calendar.

ok here goes

here is 2 basic exercises. I think i am finally getting the knack of how to use guitar pro. You accept guitar pro don't you?
    One is just a basic A minor scale ascending and then descending across four strings. The other exercise is a simple octave slap riff in a basic single note rhythm of quarter beats. I can provide explanations for these basis exercises but first i would like to know if guitar pro i good. If not i can convert the sound files to MIDI and then export ASCI tab files for you. Please let me know and i will make some more lessons. Hopefully some more advanced ones.
    Just figured i cant upload .gp4 files on here. great.

Here is the midi and pdf.

"Basic octave Slap- This is a basic quarter note rhythm which is quite simple for begineers to work on. Slap the E string with your thumb and pluck the octave notes with either your index or middle finger. These type of basslines are frequently used in funk and disco music, to name a few. Although the rhythm is simple keep note to make sure you hit the strings properly and get a slap sound out of it."
    Attached Files Attached Files

"A minor scale- The minor scale is derive from the flatted 3rd, 6th and 7th notes of the major scale. It is frequently used in many styles of music ranging from heavy metal to rock to classical. This is a simple A minor scale pattern which is in simle quarter notes. Start slowly and work up your speed progressively. It is important to play the notes accurately and cleanly. Scales are excellent for right and left hand finger co-ordination and dexterity. They are also an invaluable tool for improvisation, which i may discuss in future lessons. These scale patterns are known as 3PS or 3 notes per string scale patterns. A good guideline is one finger per fret. The scale starts on the root A and ascends up to the octave and then decends back to the root. The last note is an A minor chord. You can play this chord by striking over all the strings or strumming them like on a guitar."
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Satch...I will add these in. I am not using Guitar Pro for the calendar. I am using Power Tab because it is free and very easy to use. Guitar Pro must be purchased. you can get the Power Tab program at: http://www.power-tab.net/ - it is a free download. I will convert these exercises and add them to the library. I am working on Torin's right now.

Additionally, I would suggest using the e-mail to the calendar to submit the exercises. Otherwise, we will begin having two copies of th exercises in threads and the calendar. Could get messy.

Good to see you guys contributing!! I know it is an effort but eventually we could have something pretty cool if we keep it up!! Thanks!!