Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Bass SOS

Bass SOS

hello fellow bass meisters, i was wondering if you knew any classical fingerpicking tunes for 4 string bass, ones thatll bitch both my hands and draw blood like the good old days. preferably a peice that is popular enough to have an mp3 knocking around the internet that i can download. y'see as complex and odd as some of the stuff i play in my band is, i cant help but feeling im playing to my strengths and not improving on areas where im weak. for example; im useless at finger picking. until now, always been a plecman and but dabbled in fingers.

plus, does anyone fingerpick a bass like a 6 string guitar? like thumb for E + A and fingers for D + G (as opposed to thumb for E + A and fingers for all the rest on a 6 string)? i play a bit of guitar every now and then when my friends let me borrow theirs (im skint lol), and i really like that style. ive tried it on a bass, and it felt ok, but i wondered if it was an efficient way to pick or not.

thanks a lot, if anyone can help me out at all thatd be great.

Ryan

p.s. my technical knowledge is horrible, im self taught in a rather hands-on fashion so go easy on the technical jargon

Hi, For classical finger picking bass pieces go to www.activebass.com lessons>classical.
    That site has a ton of resources for bassists.

Sometimes i finger pick on bass, like an acoustic guitar, but i find it to be inefficient. The into to "My Friend Of Misery"-Metallica is a simple arpeggio bass finger picking piece that comes to mind. It is very simple but is the basis of finger picking bass. You can also play it with a pick and other ways too.Usually i can play the same piece just by kind of sweeping one finger over the strings. Anyways, i have a kind of wierd unconventional bass playing style. Do whatever works for you.

thanks a lot satch, its good to hear you encouraging a personal touch! ill look at those sites and that metallica song as soon as ive had some sleep. thanks again, and im sure i will be back requesting more help soon lol

also, how long have you been playing mate?

bass ,over 4 years. I picked up bass before i got into guitar wanking and now i do the same thing i did on guitar, just on bass now. Check out some of my little bass ditties i recorded , they are in the bass section. I also just made a "strictly dom 7th" in the strictly threads. All on bass of course. I think i might go play some bass right now.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Hey Ryan,

Have a look at this book as well, fairly straightforward stuff, but a good clasical grounding!

'Melbay presents' series.... J.S. Bach for bass by Josquin des Pres
    ISBN 0-7866-2843-X
    MB9524BCD
    Published by Melbay (obviously!)
    Melbay publications, Inc.
    #4 Industrial Drive,
    Pacific,
    Missouri 63069-066
    Phone 1-800-863-5229

thanks alot for the info guys, ill be getting that book as soon as i have any cash and that website is great. from that site I think ill start with something like greensleeves, btw was that written by henry VIII? i forget.

thanks

<edit>

there was a slight disaster involving my bass, broken hardware and a whole lot of SPLAT! so im going into town to get it fixed tomorrow, i shall start my classical path soon!

<edit2>

bass fixed, and the fingerpicking has commenced!

thanks again

Ryan
    Last edited by AlwaysLearning; 11-27-2005 at 08:59 AM.