Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Death metal question

Dont forget to keep it educational

That's in the music theory sense rather than the brutality aspect.

Nah, We just run up and down the chromactic scales will the drummer blasts for an hour and the bassist takes a nap

Ahh, the subgenres.
    Usually there is a cross over or 2 names refer to the same bands/type of music. It's like 80s metal which can be called "hair metal", "glam rock", "glam metal", "sleaze rock", "cock rock", "party metal" even "classic rock". It is just what people decide to call it.
    Wikipedia is the master at defining the slight differences between genres and subgenres of all types of music. Give it a shot.

To help you ouwith your solos apart from the scales that you use the way you play has a big impact on the music. I am not really into death metal, i listen to a bit of Sepultura but for the most part i prefer Van Halen and Black Sabbath and 80s metal over that stuff anyday. Alot of death metal solos, including Slayer , utilise the whammy bar in almost every single solo. If you really know how to manipulate the whammy you can get a most evil sound out of it. Try really fast AP and less legato work. Tapping is another good stock standard technique aswell, also, a few sweeps chucked in every now and then for good measure. When it all comes down to you need to feel the music and if it oesn't sound right don't play it. For all the music thoery knowledge in the world if it doesn't sound good just cause it "fits the scale" doesn't mean you should play it.

God the confusion! Right im really against TOTALLY labelling in sub genres but...

Death Metal Lyrics - Tends to be heavy and br00tal. Lyrics don't HAVE to be satanic, but often just talk about the darker aspects of life or afterlife. Often political, nobody seems to have mentioned that.

Blast beats - more suited to grindcore, black metal and thrash metal. Though again, death metal crosses into these.

Death metal music - Deep tuned, often lacking in destinct melody (Hence Melodic Death Metal) More likely to have deep growling rather than high.

Black metal music - often atmospheric, more likely to tackle dark religions (I read a 101 rules of black metal thing once, and one of the rules was to say the word satan at least 30 times per song. lol) Famous for blast beats and both ends of screaming.

Key black metal bands - Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle Of Filth (Mainstream and frowned on by "tr00" BM fans, but a good example nonetheless) Limbonic Art, Old Man's Child, Hypocrisy

Melodic Death Metal Bands - In Flames, Children of Bodom

I havent listened to normal death metal for a while, so i wont bother listing any, because no doubt theyd cross to other genres.

And slayer are thrash, not death. But again they cross over.

And dont listen to darkthrone for BM. Theyre garbage.

And ive just contradicted my first statement, but snoogles to that lol.

I'm glad we've cleared that up...

Anyone for some Zeppelin?

Just to add a few more key black metal bands in case anyone is interested in checking them out.

Mayhem- Can't talk about modern black metal without mentioning this band, they were there from the beginning.

Dissection- They might cross over a bit into melodic black/death metal, but they are right up there (or maybe higher) with Emperor when it comes to musicianship and overall composing skills.

Sirius- I think they broke up, but they put out two great albums a few years ago. The first one sounded a bit too much like an improved Emperor, but they found their sound with the second one.

For those of you who are putt off by the whole dark imagery of the music, try listening to some of their stuff with an open mind, you will be surprised by how good some of that music is, and how amazing some of those musicians are.

And ignore the vocals for a few times in the symphonic stuff. It took me years to get into BM because i didnt like the vocals to start with. Its an aquired taste.

Though i must say i dont like Mayhem. Arsis and Undying are good melodic BM bands too.

Well, that is the thing, even within black metal there are a lot of very different sounding bands and styles.

I don't even bother anymore, for me I only have 2 categories for my music:

1- Like it
    2- Don't like it

Thats a good way to look at things.

Maybe another one for

3 - I like it, but am ashamed because my mum likes it :P

Sure, I think ABBA could fit into that category for me.

What kind of metal are they? haha jk

You see, thats why i hate so much sub genres.. cause i would really not fit undying into Black Metal, they are more metalcore or a melodic hardcore band. Anyway, i dont wanna start a flame war on this.

Well i was told they are hardcore black metal. Its like some of arch enemys stuff, some of it borders on melodic hardcore

A few corrections, if I may:

On Satanism - Satanists (LaVey Satanists, not backyard squirrel-blood teenage weekend Satanists) typically regard Satan as a force of nature, not as a god or opposite of a god. It's the part of nature that tends toward the self and self-gratification as opposed to sacrificing for what very well may not be there. They are often agnostic or atheists. Satanism for them doesn't necessarily mean there is a Satan from the Christian mythology any more than Catholics follow the teachings of Cathol. Interesting trivia, too, for the Christians - the early Christians didn't even have a historical Jesus, and much of the Jesus mythology was directly stolen to embellish or adapt the stories. I have to say that I'm an atheist myself, and I think all of it's nonsense, but if we're going to discuss religion it might as well be represented correctly.

Death Metal - American DM primarily started out in Florida, and the community was much more tightly meshed than other metal communities - the demo tapes usually cam straight from the bands themselves, bands often shared or switched members (you can't read about Death, Atheist, or even Cynic alone without hearing cross references to cross references with a few cross references on top - Cynic's Paul Masvidal missed his high school graduation to play with Death in Mexico and recorded Human with the band, their bassist went off with Atheist at some point, Gene Hoglan of Death was a roadie for Slayer before joining Dark Angel, Death, Testament, and ultimately SYL, etc).
    Swedish Death Metal is divided into the Gothenberg (In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, At The Gates) and Stockholm camps. These bands had a lot to do with the 'melodic' component of 'melodic DM'.

Satanism was not directly responsible for DM - Black Metal was originally an offshoot of thrash and other 80s metal, often with Satanist influences (see Mercyful Fate/King Diamond for strong Satanist bits, also check out Venom, Mayhem, Hellhammer). A lot of DM ends up being very cynical and dark, and while it often does have evil/occult/whatever themes this is not an essential component of DM.

Also, DM doesn't always mean downtuned (Dark Tranquillity did one album in E and another in Db, Death only went down to D, Opeth stays in standard (with a few dropped-D songs)).

Bands to check out (that haven't been mentioned enough) - Meshuggah, Soilwork (I'd go for A Predator's Portrait and Chainheart Machine), Nevermore (not a DM band, usually disqualified just because of vocals, but extremely dark and cynical, and Loomis is heavy as hell - get the Enemies of Reality remaster and This Godless Endeavor if you haven't yet seen what chromatics and odd scales can do, that stuff is heavier than a lot of DM out there), Cryptopsy (if you can get past Lord Worm, it's great, also check out their live album, it's with a guy who doesn't sound as awful), and Opeth (Deliverance and Ghost Reveries would be a great way to see how normal-sounding intervals can sound crushing - the title track and By The Pain I See In Others from Deliverance, Ghost of Perdition and The Grand Conjuration from Ghost Reveries) would be great to check out.

My personal opinion - chromatics and diminished work wonders, don't be afraid to use major/minor 3rd clashes, flatted 2nds, flatted 5ths, and clashing harmonics. Bend things a little bit (to throw things out of tune it works great, but if you're using a major 3rd bend the root note up a tiny bit so it sounds like a 3rd and not a jumbled mess of eww) and use variations in your palm muting to make it sound like there are more things going on at once (Rusty Cooley is great at this).

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator