Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Death metal question

Just analyze some music. Some good groups to listen to to are:

Behemoth, Nile, Belphegor, Grave, Mörk Gryning, Cannibal Corpse, Iniquity, Necrophagist, Morbid Angel, Death, Carcass, Blood Red Throne, Amon Amarth, Gorgasm, and many many more.

Just listen to them and analyze their music. Each one is going to sound different in some way or another. Especially when comparing Necrophagist to Behemoth...lol.

Try using the diminished scale. Lot's of m3's hidden in there which can be used throughout a death metal song. There's also the d5 which will give you a very dissonant sound. You can hear that interval in some of Hate Eternal's music from "I, Monarch".
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

I know not of these bands. I'm suspecting they're not my thing but:

What defines them as "Death Metal" as opposed to any other type of metal? I get confused with all these sub-genres.

The band names are a giveaway I suppose but is there something specific in the music that defines death metal?

There are so many, many sub-genres of metal now!

Basically what sets Death Metal apart (IMHO, so don't bash me!) is that you usually have "blast" beat drumming, extremely low and high end vocal grunts, screaming, shouts etc...then the guitars - usually nasty melodics lines with uber thrash underneath. There's so many variations on it to as the Europeans have a different take on it to the Americans.

Death metal is just an extreme form of thrash metal with "death" themed lyricsand such. Wikipedia knows all
    \m/ chunk chunk chunk \m/

Quote Originally Posted by oRg
    Just analyze some music. Some good groups to listen to to are:

Behemoth, Nile, Belphegor, Grave, Mörk Gryning, Cannibal Corpse, Iniquity, Necrophagist, Morbid Angel, Death, Carcass, Blood Red Throne, Amon Amarth, Gorgasm, and many many more.

Just listen to them and analyze their music. Each one is going to sound different in some way or another. Especially when comparing Necrophagist to Behemoth...lol.

Try using the diminished scale. Lot's of m3's hidden in there which can be used throughout a death metal song. There's also the d5 which will give you a very dissonant sound. You can hear that interval in some of Hate Eternal's music from "I, Monarch".
    Now here is a man with great taste.

Checked out some new (ish) Gorgoroth yesterday...pretty good.

One last thing from me on the subject, check out these two bands if you havent already to hear a more modern take on it. Awesome riffs, hardcore/metalcore influence....

The Black Dahlia Murder
    Through The Eyes of the Dead

There ya go, my pimpin for the day is done!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    What defines them as "Death Metal" as opposed to any other type of metal? I get confused with all these sub-genres.
    I think it needs some religious elements (satanic) to be "Death Metal".

But do most listeners really believe or require the satanic element to enjoy the "death metal" aspect?

Org and JamieFT seem like well behaved and polite young men to me, not prone to murdering or doing some satanic overtime.

I'm familiar with some of the grunting and screaming aspects of the genre, but find it difficult to decipher any lyrics. It is possible these guys are singing about fluffy things and nice days out by the sea...no-one would know.

Tangential so forgive me, but the strange thing about Satanism for me is that it is surely a validation of Christianity. A religious bent is a religious bent regardless of the social acceptability of it.

Metal on the other hand is generally about young men finding themselves and having an acceptable form of revolt. Most metallers being decent polite types at least here in the UK, as opposed to the street hip-hop louts who are mostly thuggish idiots just waiting for their time in prison.

This doesn't add up , the death/satanic element and the metal element.

I'm sure I've got it all wrong.

Just call me Dad and send me on me way...

Russ, Some good tangential points there. . . Satanism is acknowledgement that there would be an opposite i.e. God (could be any religion). So I can't be a satanist as well as an atheist.

True also that young metallers tend to be well behaved (prog fans even more so - all off playing Dungeons and Dragons) distant cousins of their hoody wearing peers hanging around outside 7-11.

Hmmm, yes..., but you can still listen to gospel music without being religious. It would not be called gospel music if you used the same type of musical arrangement, but the lyrics was about the lovely girl next door. It would be soul music.

All music is soul music If it ain't...it ain't music.

Yes, you are right it's not a pre-requisite to be as the artist to enjoy the art but Gospel singers are, I would think without exception, religious people. Whereas the death metal bands are not all really satanic worshippers and would probably be horrified if they discovered they had incited their fans to actually do some bad things I'm sure.

There are quite a few Christian metalcore bands like ZAO, Norma Jean...
    all influenced by death metal...Doesn't have to be actually Satanic to be classed as Death Metal, BLACK metal would have Satanism as a pre-requesite IMO however

Ah! The genres, the genres! Is there no escape!

Oh god, what have I done!? Lock this thread now!! hehe!

My understanding:

Death Metal: Blast beats on the double bass, chromaticish guitar riffs pretty dissonant. Growls and screaming in the vocal department. Morbid themes often (check Cannibal Corpse lyrics). Melodic Death metal, a sub-genre is probably what someone new to the genre should check out. Opeth are a great example of this (Melodic/Progressive Death Metal). Not really morbid themes always, and clean vocals with the growls. To enjoy this music just think of the growls as another instrument if they worry you. Try Opeth's Blackwater Park, or for 'proper' death metal maybe try an album by Death or Necrophagist.

Black Metal: A bit more atmospheric music, slightly less intense and the tempo can range more. Higher pitched screaming usually, string sections and synth can feature in Black Metal. Satanic themes, however to listen to Black Metal you obviously do not need to believe in these. Darkthrone- Transylvanian Hunger is the definitive album I am told.

I tried my best- I'm not close to an expert in either, don't listen to that much of either. When oRg or someone more knowledgable gets here they will explain it to you.