Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Marty Friedman Dvd

Marty Friedman Dvd

Hi everybody !
    I am interested in marty friedmans "99 secret lead guitar phrases" dvd. Does anyone have it? Is it 39 bucks worth? I do net get plenty informations about it in the inet.

realizing dreams
    I'm also highly interested, couldn't find it at amazon though and I'd also like to hear some critism first. Anyway I think I'll buy it because I absolutely love Marty's playing and songwriting! I currently listen to "scenes" and it's just pure beauty AAHHH!!!
    You can see some clips of the dvd at http://www.mi.edu/, rust in peace

Hi,

I have found Marty Friedman's videos to be very helpful, particularly his melodic phrasing video.

I think he makes good videos, and is also a good teacher. And a really great guitarist.

I'm not familiar with the new video "99 secret lead guitar phrases" dvd, if you get it, could you post what he taught and what you learned from it thanks.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

A friend of mine ( we went to MI together ) ordered 2 of them and is gonna send me one. He called it an early christmas present. Once I have it, and have seen it, I´ll post a review. Not to sure how long its gonna take, might be a week or so.
    Eric

realizing dreams
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    Thanks!
    ohh yes.
    Once again Eric saves the world of IBM

Got it today. I´m halfway through watching it, it´s running in the background right now. I guess it would be more appropiate to wait a while until I comment, but maybe I can just post a few first impressions here:

The features are nice. Nothing too fancy, but quite useful if you wanna work with the DVD. Features are: one unreleased song ( "The Kid From Another Planet" ), direct jump to any lick ( you have 99 though, so it might take a while till you find the specific one you´re looking for ), Distortion on/off ( so you can hear the licks clean or distorted ), Loop-A-Lick ( for practicing purposes ) and "Add Your Own Solo" ( Jam along with Marty ).

Now, the idea is kinda neat... if you have watched the clip on the MI page, you know what I mean, if you haven´t: Marty suggests to learn a whole load of phrases and licks in order to enlarge your musical vocabulary, and possibly get out of ruts etc.
    He compares it to language.
    Anyway, the licks are played fast, and then slow, and also clean. You get close caption of the left hand, and then the right hand, to see which notes are picked and which are not.
    Marty mentions that learning the licks, using the DVD, will help you to improve your hearing. So I guess that is the reason why there is neither a booklet or onscreen-TAB. So if you wanna have a TAB of the licks ( in order to take them somewhere where you wanna practice ), you have to prepare that yourself.
    Since the licks are played slowly only like once or twice, I´d recommend to either make TABs yourself, or focus on learning and memorizing only like 2 or 3 licks at a time ( I think Marty is trying to suggest that ). Otherwise, if you learn a few of them, you might forget about the first one when you start practicing the next few ones.
    The licks themselves... well, I am not sure whether they´re as "unique" as the booklet says, but they ARE pretty cool. Some are heavily blues-based, featuring the blue note and chromatic passing tones.
    Some are modified blues-licks, which I have heard elsewhere. So calling them "unique" might be a bit over-ambitious. They´re not the typical "20 blues licks you should know" type stuff either, though.
    This, in my opinion, definitely is not some kind of a "learn how to solo" type method. There are no chords given in the background ( so you have to figure out when to use those licks yourself... which might be a good learning experience ).
    So I think this should be used in addition to other stuff you´re working with. Like... practice some, and then check out 2 or 3 licks from the DVD.
    I´d recommend to try to squeeze everything out of those licks... vary them, change them, use them in different keys, on different string combinations etc.
    More experienced players might be able to pick up some cool licks here which might just help them to get outta a rut they´re in.
    So it´s a neat source of inspiration if you´re working on other things as well.
    The fact that there is no TAB or onscreen-TAB, plus no explanation where to use those licks etc. might be considered a disadvantage. Sure, more experienced players will be able to figure that out themselves. So it seems to be a fact that this is intended for intermediate to pro players.
    At the same time, I think that some of those licks could be interesting and benefitial even for beginners ( regarding soloing ), but for them it might be hard to figure out how to apply the stuff.
    I just noticed a sentence on the back of the box: "This (...) DVD features 99 guitar phrases which will increase your musical vocabulary and your ability to improvise great off-the-cuff lead guitar".
    This might be confusing to some. Cuz yes, a lot of improvisation consists of playing licks, but at the same time, if an improv should be nothing but stringing together lick after lick. That is not suggested explicitly, but I think some people who might not be too experienced about soloing might understand it that way.
    I agree that there are some very cool licks on here, and learning new licks and phrases definitely is a good thing, but it´s questionable whether that automatically makes you a good improviser.
    Once again, I should wait a bit, use the DVD for a while and then post more comments, but then again, I wanted to post this first impression, and I am not sure whether I´ll work with the DVD all that much. I´ll try out some of those licks though, thats for sure =)
    Eric

By the way: In no way I wanna belittle or diss Marty here. I like his playing lots, and this sure is an interesting DVD... not your typical "more of a showcase" type video.
    I was just sharing a few thoughts from my perspective
    Eric

realizing dreams
    For sure this dvd isn't made for beginners. I think it helps advanced players, who are already able to improvise and apply licks into their playing, to get inspirated and get some new ideas. There's no need for tabs in my opinion as Marty plays the licks very slow for us (right Yngwie? ).
    I have to watch it myself first though, Sven will you buy it?

The licks... are they new? Or has he used them in his songs before? It would be quite disappointing if I would buy it only to recognize that i know a lot of his licks.

By the way i am playing parts from Forbidden City right now. Really a great song with many poignant licks.
    Last edited by Death (Chuck); 12-05-2005 at 02:28 PM.

Eric???

Sorry haven´t had a lot of time to browse the web and check on the forums recently.
    The licks... some of them are quie interesting, others are cool blues licks which I have heard elsewhere.
    I think it ain´t that easy to make up a collection of licks where every lick is never-heard-of-before. So some of those licks of course have been used before, not only by Marty.
    There´s a wide range though... blues licks ( throwing in the blue note etc. ), barring licks ( a la Greg Howe ) etc.
    So I think that if you get the DVD, you might recognize some of the licks, while others should be pretty refreshing and new.
    Eric

Thx for your review.

I guess i ll buy it.

Edit by Mod- No selling stuff. Do it through PM please.
    Last edited by metaljustice83; 06-11-2009 at 09:30 PM.

It's worth the money, I actually picked up that same DVD, was pretty helpful