Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Warming up

Warming up

Just wanted to get an idea of how long people spend warming up. My practice time is limited (life keeps getting in the way ). I get done practicing and what I find happening is I've spent more time warming up and working on technique related items than actually playing music or learning a new song.

Just wanted to get your thoughts, thanks.
    "If men were angels, no government would be necessary."

James Madison

I really am not very good at warming up. If I do, I'd do some AP chromatic runs to start up my right hand (6th string 5-6-7-8 followed by 5th string 5-6-7-8 etc and back. Increasing the speed graduately. Playing only the left hand 1st and 2nd finger of this (now just partly) chromatic run, then 2nd and 3rd, then 3 and 4th, then 1st and 3rd, then 2nd and 4th really gets my left hand good and warm. Then I'll do some stretching by chord playing (arp's if you like) Eadd9, Dadd9, Bm add9, Dadd9, etc... With 2 min for warm up, this should cover some important aspects I'm told. I belive these warm up ideas has their origin from Steve Morse.

I tabbed out some elements of these warm up exercises mentioned above.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This may or may not be useful, but I have a piano book that recommends soaking your hands in warm water and doing some finger stretches before playing to limber up the tendons. I know by "warmup" you meant exercises, but I had never thought about this aspect before reading the book.
    I have mild arthritis in my little finger knuckles, and playing in general keeps them from being sore. When my hands get cold they start to hurt, so the warm water is an easy way to really get them ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Madaxeman
    This may or may not be useful, but I have a piano book that recommends soaking your hands in warm water and doing some finger stretches before playing to limber up the tendons.
    I have been given this recommendation also, not only before playing, but also as often as possible.... so now I'm doing the dishes voluntary basis

I heard Satch does that before every show, soaking his hands and forearms in warm to hot water in order to loosen up the muscles and sinews.
    Regarding doing dishes, heīs not really fond of that before a show cuz it might soften the callusses =)

Back to the original question, it depends on how I feel on a given day, how warm it is etc. Also, I split up practice sessions into several pieces, distributed throughout the day. I believe that if you do that ( say, practice for an hour, then continue like 2 hrs later ), you donīt have to warm up as much anymore once you get to parts 2, 3 etc.

My philosophy on warming up basically involves starting out slow and easy. Take a runner... for a race, he doesnīt warm up by running a mile at full speed. He stretches, runs in one spot etc.
    I start by playing some simple chords, then go to bar chords, eventually playing maj- and min-add 9, maj9, or arpeggiated min11s ( the "Satch" chord =) )
    Then I do some slow runs through the 7 longform patterns, bend a few strings etc. Some chromatic exercises etc, and I am pretty much done
    Eric

Also check out Eric's article http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/131. There's some warm up recommendations there also. Looks strangely familiar, though. Eric: Have you been listening to Steve Morse Hot Licks instruction tapes (Master Series) also? I was one of the first 50 to buy the tapes, so I have a signed version

Hey there

Now, I have never heard those tapes. I think I saw the booklet of them somewhere a few years ago, but I havenīt heard the tapes at all.
    Weird... is it really that close ?
    Eric

Eric,
    You'll find the booklet at http://www.stevemorse.com/ under tabs. Close to the end of the list you'll find the Masters series under Instructional tapes. The booklet have some similar stuff, but I haven't compared them closely. If I did I'm sure they would be different. Warm-up excersices is likely to have some similarities, I guess.
    BTW. It would be great if you could tab out the
    min11s ( the "Satch" chord =) )
    you mentioned. I'm not familiar with the Satch chord

Of course this was said partially in jest, as a min11 is not exactly that much of a rare chord, or that hard to think of.
    However, Satch uses it a whole lot... for example the infamous "Power Cosmic" is based on that chord ( and I am referring to the hammeron-etude he recorded for a guitar mag in the 80s, even though the "Power Cosmic" on "Engines Of Creation" has those chords as well... in fact, those fast hammered-on arps occur in the album version ), so is that wacky, rally fast break in "The Mystical Potatoe Head Groove Thing" etc.
    I love the sound of it, so I used it for some of my songs as well. I.e. "Angel" is based on it. Also, "Breath Of Life" is, too ( Amin11 and Dmin11 ), and I once made up a small etude ( for clean guitar with delay ) called "Jessie" which uses min11 and maj9 chords mainly ( maybe do a forum search, I posted a ptb of that piece on the forum a long time ago )
    There are different ways of playing a min11, but the one in the ptb below is the shape that Satch used for the songs I mentioned above, and are the same shapes I use...
    hoep this answers the question, sorry for any confusion I might have caused
    Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Eric,
    I recognise the chord from Power Cosmic. Haven't played that for a long time, though. I agree, a nice sounding chord and great for stretching the fingers. Power Cosmic also includes some major chord versions.
    Searched for "Jessie", without returning anything that looked like what you describe.
    Thanks a lot.

Thanks,
    Nice song... and good tabbing getting the echo right like that.

Thanks for the steve morse link gersdal. Some great stuff there.

I added a finger strech warm up to my routine a while back and it has really improved my reach. Start with rh fingers 1 and 4. Place 4 on the 12 fret 1st string and strech as low as you can with 1st finger while keeping the 4th finger down(maybe the 7th fret). Play down the strings like..

Code:
    12----7 ---------------------------------------------------------------
    --------12 ---7--------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------12 ---7 --------------------------------------------6--
    ------------------------12 ---7 ------------------------------6--11---
    -------------------------------12 ---7-----------------6---11---------
    ---------------------------------------12 ---7--6----11---------------
    As you move down the neck it gets harder. Once you can't make the reach anymore, move back up the neck. Then repeat with rh finger 2+4, 1+3 and 3+4.

Another one I do that is helpful for fast position shifts is chromatics on one string. Play them as fast 16th's with a metronome.
    Code:
    Fret ---1234-5678-9 10 11 12-12 11 10 9- 8765-4321 -0
    Finger--1234-1234-1 2   3  4 - 4   3   2  1-4321-4321-0
    If you want to keep it interesting, play the 12th fret only once but keep the notes in groups of 4 so that when descending, the beat comes on your 3rd finger not your 4th. Or play the whole thing as triplets but use the same 1234 fingering.

I think I got both of these out of a book called Fingerboard Gymnastics
    ________
    LovelyWendie99
    Last edited by widdly widdly; 04-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.