Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea: Exercise and Licks Calendar

Idea: Exercise and Licks Calendar

Hey guys,

based on the exercise-post by John Jumper and the question by Gersdal regarding contributions, I thought of an older idea of mine... a while ago I had been considering creating a "lick and exercise calendar" which I would have put onto my website in pdf-format as a free download.
    Here is the basic idea:
    Itīs a pdf file which has an overall month-overview, and a small page for every day of the upcoming year. Each page has one lick, exercise or piece of advice ( think about the collection of thoughts at the end of Mick Goodrickīs "The Advancing Guitarist" )
    Each lick / exercise would have a very brief commentary ( like "This is a blues-based lick... try appling it over... etc." )
    I know that it might not be used every day, but imagine you feel in a rut, or want something new to play around with, so you go to the page of the present day and check out the lick. Can be from different styles etc
    Creating something like that can take quite some time. However, if it was a joint effort, with everyone adding their favorite licks and exercises, from basic to advanced, it might come together just in time for 2006 =)
    Just an idea... maybe itīs wacky, but I figured Iīd share anyway
    Eric

Sounds great. Here in Norway we have Christmas claenders for the kids, with a suprise every day. Maybe we could start with a test as a cristmas calender with Davids article by request for the 24th (or would that be the 25th for you guy's ).

See, there we already have the first problem =)

J/K

Sounds good, letīs see whether anyone else is interested in contributing ( oh, and I have 2 new articles I am working on, plus Mike Campese just sent in a new one that I am gonna edit and put into article format for him... )
    Eric

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    I'm on the bus, Eric. I'll contribute too, I've got tons of licks and tricks! Excellent idea, dude!
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

That is a REALLY cool idea! That was kind of what I was trying to put together with an RSS feed that changes daily. I need to automate the RSS feed though because it is difficult to upload them each day.

The bigest problem was coming up with hundreds of exercises so each day you could have a couple of new things that built on previous days... But... If we all work together we could put something real cool together.

I'm in!!

I was talking to a friend of mine a while back about creating a tear off calender that had an exercise for every day of the year. So you would tear off the pages each day - like those joke calenders that have a joke a day - instead you would have an exercise each day.

That idea sounds great. Even if it didn't correlate from day to day, it would be an outstanding reference and learning tool. Maybe have every Monday be a lesson, that builds each week...then Tuesdays would be a kinda fun day for someone to throw just anything in there. Wednesdays could be a theory application...etc...

Great Idea. I'm in.

A idea would be to include a scale for the day. Something like "Todays scale is F lydian which is spelt F, G, A, B, C, D, E ,F <include a fingering tab>".

If you have 12 keys, 39 modes ( thats 12 major, 12 harmonic minor, 12 melodic minor, 2 diminshed, 1 whole tone) thats 468 possible scales, more than enough for one a day. I could write a computer program to randomly generate a bitmap file containing the scale and a possible fingering diagram. That way it would be easy to add the scale for each day to the pdf.

You could do the same with a chord of the day.

I think these would be handy for practice.
    ________
    Recall Avandia
    Last edited by widdly widdly; 04-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Great idea!
    Widdly's idea is great too. It is similar to Guitarbasics.com but hey, we can create our own stuff based on these idea.
    The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing

great ideas guys, letīs do it.
    "Truth is the invention of a liar." - von Foerster

I'm on board!
    "If men were angels, no government would be necessary."

James Madison

I've finished the scale generator if anyone wants to check it out.

It's an exe file that will spit out a scale fingering chart and gives you the option to save it to a bitmap file. It generates the fingerings automatically and prefers 3-nps. I can add more scales if anyone wants. It does pentatonics, major modes, harmonic minor modes and melodic minor modes. It could probably do arpeggios too.
    ________
    *** BLACK
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by widdly widdly; 04-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Eric dude! Count me in, plus, remember the riffs runs n licks threads? Im sure we could recycle some of the stuff in there and give it some more attention.

Awesome !
    OK, in order to get this done until Dec 1st ( as we wanna get the christmas one done first as a atest ), what we need is 24 licks, exercises or whatever else you wanna include.
    Iīd say for a lick or exercise, an image of the TAB, created with Powertab and a graphic proggie of your choice, would work. Plus some additional text to explain what the lick / exercise is about, how you came up with it or what ever is important about it.
    Shall we collect those in this thread ? After all, it would be nice if people wouldnīt see them before itīs actually complete, wouldnīt it ? =)
    But collecting them by email... well, if that is the way to go, I guess someone else has to do it, as I really donīt have the time to organize all that.
    So either we collect them here, or someone posts his email addy for the stuff to be sent to.
    At the end, either I or someone else can either put them into a PDF (so people can scroll down ), or even make a small "christmas calendar website"
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    At the end, either I or someone else can either put them into a PDF (so people can scroll down ), or even make a small "christmas calendar website"
    Eric
    I'm not very good with web-pages and stuff, but I can make pdf files. The christmas calender needs to be a web page, though. If you want, I'll take the job as mailbox for exercises and licks, evaluate and make them into pdf's.

The easy way out:
    I can post an updated pdf every day with additional excercises on the forum.

Would that be ok?

Allthough, from JohnJumpers great web-page, I would say he would be the natural candidate
    Last edited by gersdal; 11-19-2005 at 12:53 PM.

I can do that...I can create the web pages. I am moving my web site hosting to a different host so I can get more disk space. Gersdal, once you start selecting the exercises and editing the descriptions send me an e-mail for each of the days and I will convert them into a web site. Once I get the initial site together I will put it someplace you guys can review it and make suggestions.

I will try to make it match the iBreatheMusic Colors and logos. That is the area where I am not as creative.