Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Motivation to play

Motivation to play

I've just managed to nail For the Love of God and it feels fantastic! I got my new axe (js1000 ) 2 weeks ago and thought i'd learn the song i've loved for so long as i've finally got a floyd rose guitar!
    My point? As guitarists, we seen to spend most of our time running through exercises to develop our chops etc and i'm sure i'm not the only one who gets bored with playing certain exercises to strengthen your little finger or to work on some other part of your playing that seems to not quite be there. We seem to forget that the best form of motivation to get you to play is by learning songs. Whether you have been playing for a few months and have just managed to play the don't look back in anger solo, or you're a pro who has just completed learning the entire paul gilbert back catalogue, nothing makes you want to learn more than finishing a great song !
    Anyway, i've been away from my guitar too long, must learn more songs lol!

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    When i was a beginner, i used to learn songs from everyone i liked...first i started with Iron Maiden...bought all of their records and tried to learn all the songs i loved note for note...then Metallica...then i started to listen to Yng and it was, of course, much more difficult since in lacked the technique...but i was stubborn and ket trying and trying and practicin'...then i could play Yngwie songs...
    Playing by ear makes your ear sharp...that is, you have to relate all the scales to the actul thing you're playing...otherwise it wouldn't make sense to practice all the arpeggios and the scale sequences...

David

I play jazz, so all I ever really do is improvise, but I never practice anything that doesn't directly relate to a song that I'm working on. About 90% of my time is spent just playing over tunes.

I've never really seen the point of practicing something that can't be directly put into a playing situation.

I wasn't sating that all the exercises are pointless, just that often we seem to focus on these rather than actual songs, which often is better to advance you as a guitarist however we all learnt guitar to play songs and we always hear about guitarists who can't really play whole songs and its just nice to crack a new 1!

Yep, I think cracking a technical difficult song is about the best feeling there is (guitarwise).

That's why i think it's important to make sure you have song time built in to your practice schedule...something I fail to do too often...

Nice axe btw, just got a 1200 myself, Gotta love those DiMarzios!

I agree, Ben. There's nothing like taking a song that makes you think "Man, I could never nail that. But I'll try." and then making it happen.

I haven't learned a new song for a long time up until recently. I always wanted to learn SRV's "Lenny" but I've either been too busy or too lazy to tune my guitar down a step and just do it. That's a really easy song, but the only example I have lately.

I've been learning a lot of SRV lately. I feel more proud of myself when I learn a good song than when I learn some new aspect of theory. Because I can't always apply theory the same way I can belt out a good cover.
    Home is where you hang your guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    Nice axe btw, just got a 1200 myself, Gotta love those DiMarzios!
    They are very sweet! Took me while to consider parting with that sort of money but i'm off to uni next year for six years so thought while I have the money may as well get me something that's going to last . I'm hoping to hit all the musical theatre stuff when I get there so i've been working hard on sight reading recently so it's nice to actually focus on a song to learn for a change!

Didn't have a 1200 in the shop when I got mine, i went in after a 1200 but played the 1000 that was there, fell in love and had to have it!

MetalHead \m/
    Lately I've found that creating your own songs are just as fullfilling as learning a hard song, just that more people think that its cooler to hear stuff you've heard before, so i don't get as much response except from people who play and then only a couple. I've been in a funk lately, i've gotten to a point where..i don't know where to go.. Like I'll sit down with my guitar and just start playing exercises..and thats it, or i'll sit down and just start playing one of the songs i came up with, not really getting anywhere...I wanna learn how to solo, cause its like one of the things i'm missing...Its beyond me the whole concept its just out there and i can't reach it, i hear all these solos with the music i listen to, I realize that they've had Many Many more years of experience then i have, but i'm going on my Third year I should at least be able to pump out something respectable. Inturn with the whole thing being beyond me, its frustrated me to the point where i don't know if i wanna keep playing..Sorry bout the ramble but the thread said motivation .
    "Just Shred It"
    - DimeBag Darrel (1966 - 2004) RIP