Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Metronome Help!

Question Metronome Help!

Hey all i need alot of info on how to work with a metronome efficently. okay here is the problem i undertstand that with the metronome quarter notes i must play one note per every beat(click) however whenever it comes to sub-dividing the beat into eight notes, sixteenths and triplets etc, how do i know if i am doing it properly.

For example if im playing eight notes, i must play one note on the beat and one note off the beat, however how do i know the note within the beat is prefect in the inbetween the first and second beat (click).

What would you guys recommend me to do first, wheather it be stick to playing quarter notes for a while and increase the tempo a little everyday and get used to that timing first or what.

Cheers everyone i am gratful.
    Hidden Content I am Passion I am Warfare,
    How about an Erotic Nightmare

You could always set the metronome to double speed and every click will be an eight note. Also, it is always good to record yourself. When you listen without trying to play at the same time you will hear if you play in time.

z

Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    You could always set the metronome to double speed and every click will be an eight note. Also, it is always good to record yourself. When you listen without trying to play at the same time you will hear if you play in time.
    hey dude so basically what your saying is say for example:

I ahev metronome set to 60 Bpm and i played played eigths notes so one note on the beat and one note off the beat, so be more simple i could just simply set the speed to 120 Bpm and play quarter notes, it this the same. or do u mean

i could play 60 bpm on quarter notes 1 note per beat or jus set ur metronome to 60bpm but change the sytle such as eight notes where the sound mite be accented ..Is this what you mean???
    Hidden Content I am Passion I am Warfare,
    How about an Erotic Nightmare

Chris,

There are two ways of doing it really, one is counting the beats you're going to play in your head (or even say them out loud) and second is like Petter suggests set the metronome to click every time you should play a note.

So first set your gnome to 60BPM and it starts clicking or dinging and you play every time it dings. That's your quarter notes 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 etc.

Now to play 8th notes you want to add in another note you play between the clicks/dings as well as on the clicks/dings so your gnome is still going ding ding ding ding but you are playing ding and ding and ding and ding and.

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and (see 8 notes, hence the name 8th notes) the "ands" will be perfectly in between the 1 2 3 4

If you find that hard to do then as Petter suggests, if you double the speed of the metronome and play every ding/click you will be playing 8th notes based on the initial speed.

So 60BPM x 2, becasue you're playing twice the amount of notes = 120BPM

So to recap and say these out loud as you play:

1/4 notes = 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
    1/8th notes = 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and etc.
    triplets = 1 and and 2 and and 3 and and 4 and and etc.

But in all of the above the actual numbers must fall on the ding of the gnome and the "ands" must come equally spaced in between the dings.

Hope that helps.