Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Learning keyboard

Learning keyboard

I've had a really cheap keyboard for, let's say 8 years. I had fun with it the first half of the first year, then it was over. I have now been playing guitar for three years. In recent time, I have also gotten a certain interest for the keyboard. Despite its cheapness, it is possible to play, and that's what I care about.

What I am wondering is which pieces I could have a look at in order to get started, just to learn a song, and get more inspiration?

I know quite a bit of music theory at this point, so that's not a problem. However, I thought it would be an idea to get specific examples from experts on which pieces that may fit well as an introduction.

Maybe a technical excersise or two as well?

can you fruther explain your current level of playing the keyboard?

either way, its always possible to play. I just need to know your level to suggest where you may want to start. There are millions of technique books like the Hannon Studies, but I want to make sure thats not too difficult for you.

There actually was an answer; great.

My level. Well. I know how to finger chords. I can play the C major scale. I can not play, let's say, the C major scale in triplets properly.

I am quite familiar with guitar playing and music in general. I am able to learn myself playing keyboard, however, I'd like to get a couple of pointers from the pro's. Even if I am able to learn playing it by myself, I will benefit on a suggestion or three from the pro's.

So, my level of playing keyboard is very low. My understanding of music theory in general is on its way up (I know more than the basics). Another note about my current skills; when it comes to chords, I am very slow on the changes. Think about the "i-VI-VII" progression in minor keys - I have played it forever on guitar, but I can hardly play it on keyboard. Not properly and fluently. No surprise, of course, but I'm telling you in order to describe my level. Which, as you see, is very, very basic.

What I need is a couple of ideas on what to practice, technique-wise. Also, a few concrete song suggestions wouldn't hurt. Something which sounds interesting, but is not that challenging.

I could sit down and create my own sequences, but I think it would be equally good - at least - to get a few specific suggestions and advices from the more experienced players in the beginning phase.

Hoping for another answer.

Well, on my first keyboard there were songs stored in it. You can play along and it told you all of the notes on this little screen. So the first song I really learned was "Let It Be" by the Beatles. My CASIO keyboard told me note for note how to play it and it took me about a month to learn the whole thing lol. I also learned "Fur Elise" this way.

I'm not sure if you have that though. Anyway, after doing those things I began to play songs I liked by ear. For example I would be humming some Greenday song in my head or something and than figure out the chords. Most of those songs are things like C - G - Am - F (which is Let It Be also lol).

I also went to sites like Taborama.com and got tabs for old 80's songs which featured a lot of keyboard. The tabs are easy to read because it just tells you what note to press. I learned things like "Touch Me" by The Doors and "Runaway" by Bon Jovi.

Finally, I decided that it was time to take my playing a step further. I began taking lessons. If you really wish to become skilled in piano/keyboard you MUST take lessons.
    If you don't want to, you need to atleast have a friend who plays come over and teach you something. Someone has to sit down with you and teach you for you to improve. You can only get so good playing by ear. The only way to get any better after that is lessons. Believe me, within 2 months of lessons I was playing 20x better.

Anyway, in general:

-Practice as often as possible. You have to become familiar with the instrument. Know where all the notes are. Learn your Major and Minor chords. Learn to play them smoothly together.

-Listen. Once you learn to listen to music, you will become a greater musician. Buy CD's featuring piano players you may like. Old blues pianists like Albert Ammons or Ray Charles give you so much inspiration.

-Take a step further and get lessons. Its worth it.

Interesting suggestions. I'll explore for some suitable songs.

However, I doubt I will attend at any keyboard lessons. I am not that kind of ambitions. My idea was to improve my skills on an intstrument other than the guitar. It'd be interesting to see the music from another perspective. That said, I have no plans about becoming better on keyboard than I am on guitar.

I know my major and minor chords in theory, but I am not extremely familiar with the location of the notes on the keyboard.

I already think I am an OK listener. Albert Ammons and Ray Charles is notated. I'll have a listen to them.