Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Alternating Picking

Strictly Alternating Picking

I will be posting some common SAP exercises here for all interested parties to practice and participate in improving speed and accuracy wth SAP.

Basically each participant will post his/her starting speed and date with each of the exercises. Then on a monthly or weekly interval post the new speed. If the speeds are considered excessive the request will be made to post a sound clip with metronome and at a specific pitch.

THIS IS NOT A SPEED CONTEST OR COMPETITION.

The purpose is to encourage participation and improvement in each individual's SAP speed and accuracy. The objective is to IMPROVE.

When this was attempted last time everyone was in awe of Thorsten's starting speed. Thorsten has spent many years getting where he is and is in possession of some natural ability that not everyone here will possess. If someone of his caliber chooses to participate, their room for improvement will be less than those starting off at a slower speed (because they are already near the limits of their ability).

It is something for the rest of us to strive for, not to be intimidated by. I strongly encourage each person to record the first attempts at these exercises and save them for future reference. Then down the road record again to hear and feel the improvement.

I'll also suggest that those with windows machines use PowerTab to play along with as their metronome.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Huzzah!

Thanks James, I'll be right on it!

Very interesting. I have focused on alternate picking lately myself. Actually I noticed a certain progress already today. I'll have a look at the tablature.

I'm in. If only to make the rest of you look good - you 3NPS widdlers are going to shame me big time. First BPM and clip ASAP.

Main problem could be counting to 24 repeats!

Ash

oh no, im not doing 24 repeats!!!!

i,ve been doing it all evening and am being really strict, but so far I haven't had one single clean take!!!

I keep reducing the BPm by 5 and going agani, unclean.

I wont rest til i have one clean take here tonight, regardless of the BPM keepin going down. After all thats what it's about, gettnig it right and improving, so that i shall do!

Count me in too. I'll be nothing more than an embarrassment to myself to begin with but I'm sure this will help a lot. Great idea, James... this should help a lot of people. I'll get to work.
    Home is where you hang your guitar.

Awesome !!!

Hey, James !!!!

Great !!!!
    Thanks a lot !!!

I really appreciate it that you did this group effort / study group for working on alternate picking !

I'd better get practicing now !!!!!!

Once again, thanks a lot for this great thread !!!!

Once I got started I'll post my BPM ....

Lars

OK, I've ben as honest as i can with this. I kept reducing BPM until i made a clean enough take.

I was surprsied by the difficulty of the slower BPM though becasue the slower it was the harder the timing was for me. but the elss mistakes i made.

So it's my flag in the sand as a starting point!

lets see what a month can do.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I figured I'd use the the PowerTab metronome to help me keep time, but it only goes to 300!! Oh wait, the higher the number the FASTER it is. Okay, back the the drawing board.

Maybe some one can give me some pointers here? I'm new to this whole "Plectrum" thingy-bob, shaped something like a valentine. So please pardon me if this is a really stupid question.

It seems to me there is probably a correct way to do this excersize in terms of UP stroke versus DOWN stroke using this little plastic thing. I noticed that in PowerTab there is an indicator that can be used to indicate which direction the note should be played. I assume this most often used to indicate strum direction for a chord. But, since this is an educational endeavor in Alternate Picking, is it possible that someone could include that indicator to show the best way to pick these note?

Or maybe it's as simple as "You always start on a down stroke." Can anyone help me with this?
    Last edited by tucker97325; 09-08-2005 at 04:16 AM.
    "It ain't what you play man! Its how you play it."
    Hidden Content

I started on a down stroke, but rhe clever thig a bouyt this exercise is there's little movements required from the pick to be in the right position for the next pick. Thats gonna be telling once the BPM starts rising.

Start down, start up, which ever is more comfortable then off you go,m up down up dopwn up down up down etc.

Here are two articles written by EricV. He provides a lot of great information on picking from beginner to advanced.

The Art Of Picking (a long, but extremely informative three part series)
    99 Ways To Pick (everything you ever need to know about picking)

To reiterate Russ' comments, you can start either up or down, then remain at a constant ...up-down-up-down-up-down... motion. You might experiment with which direction you are most comfortable starting with as it ultimately doesn't matter that much. I'm going to make a guess and say that most people start with a down stroke.

I have noticed that alternate picking can be more difficult for some people than others when first introduced to it. If you find that you cannot keep a constant tempo, maybe try sitting down on the couch and practicing it while you watch TV. Just pick an open string for a while until you can keep a constant tempo or your arm falls off. Whichever comes first.

I should also mention one other thing. If your arm, wrist, or hand gets tired quickly you are probably doing it wrong. Check your arm and hand positioning, relax, be comfortable, and try again. Tendonitis is not a cool thing, I'm told.
    Home is where you hang your guitar.

Russ, When I saw your clip was 4 mins I thought you'd gone for 50 repeats! You must have recorded over the start of some other noodling on the same track or something.

The slower you go the harder it gets effect is most noticeable for me playing Arps with 1NPS SAP. Some of the etude thingies I made up I always start at really low speed and it's torture - almost like your hand has time to go off and find a mistake to make.

I should get chance to try tonight. I've done a fair bit on pent sequences that skip up and down like this one so I might not be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosaurus
    Here are two articles written by EricV. He provides a lot of great information on picking from beginner to advanced.

The Art Of Picking (a long, but extremely informative three part series)
    99 Ways To Pick (everything you ever need to know about picking)
    Thanks Stratman, those were pretty informative articles. I think I mostly need to work on left/right hand synchronization. It's a lot different with a pick. You have to move so much more.
    "It ain't what you play man! Its how you play it."
    Hidden Content

Yeah Russ has given us some bonus noodling nice tone!

I'm going to have a crack at this over the weekend.
    ________
    Iolite Handheld Vaporizer
    Last edited by widdly widdly; 04-11-2011 at 07:03 AM.

This is a simple exercise, but the picking difficulty is exaggerated by the 3 string groups forcing you to alternate the starting stroke of each motive (nine notes).
    Doing it cleanly is a good way to improve your ability to cleanly AP in general.
    Once this exercise is under your belt, the attempts should be made to mix up the order of the notes on each string to make the exercise more musical (interesting, and more difficult). I'll refer to previous posts or repost some exeample when I get time.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content