Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Modified GM!

As I was in the mood i thought i would do something a little more might what be expected for the track so here she is.

Strickly A minor/A minor pent.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice take Russ. That's pretty much what I'm trying to record right now. lol

I just love your phrasing, man. Your guitar speaks to me.

I drank four cups of coffee this morning which is two cups more than I usually drink so I'm a little shaky. I'm trying to calm my nerves because every take I've made so far has spots where I've dropped the string in the middle of a bend or you can hear the pick shaking on the strings like a leaf in the wind.

Even as I type right now I'm creating typos from the shaking. Thankfully there's a backspace key.

I'll upload something today as promised. But now I've got to alter what I was going to do in order to not copy you, Russ.
    Last edited by Stratosaurus; 09-14-2005 at 10:23 PM.
    Home is where you hang your guitar.

Okay. I calmed down a little. This isn't as smooth as I would have liked. I should have worked this out a bit more to get it to be more fluid like. It's a little rough in the beginning and smooths out some toward the middle and roughs out again at the end. Either way, this is my first contribution to this thread. I'll work on it some more over the next week and see if I can do any better. I never realized I needed more practice until I started recording stuff for this forum.

A delay pedal would have made it a little better IMO. All I've got is this distortion box and the reverb knob on my amp.

Thanks for kind words Stratdude. Apologies for any work it made you do in changing your own version, there was no need of course, 9/10 we all sound very much like each other anyway

I liked your ideas in your take very much, you followed the tune and were playing along with it nicely. but if I had one critiscism it has to be the bends.

It's funny how often it comes up on this site, phrasing and technique is good but bends don't get nailed. More often than not your bends are not reaching the target tone and it takes the shine off the rest of the take.

Maybe i should come up with some kind of "strictly bends" we can all use as a practice vehicle.

I liked the tone though, some really raw distortion, i dont think the delay was necessary. It sounded really crunchy, I liked it!

Thanks a lot, Russ. I really like detailed critiques. I have always been subconsciously aware that my bends were a little flat, but I never really gave it the proper amount of focus during my practice times. I'll pay more attention to it from now on, thanks. In my defense though, the action on this strat is also a bit high... it was recently used for slide That's my story

The distortion comes from a Boss Metal Zone (MT-2 picture), with both the Gain 1 and Gain 2 knobs at roughly 50% on my little Marshall Valvestate 15W/8" practice amp. The rest of the tone comes from my HSS strat with the selector switch in the middle/bridge position with the tone knob at about 7.

I was kidding about you coming up with what I wanted to do first. While we both have basically the same playing style (although your playing is generally more smooth and controlled,) we both have some distinct differences also.

Again, thanks for the detailed feedback!

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Russ!!

What can I say, a very fitting Ashes tribute!!!!
    Ah, the heady days of summer, the crack of Leather on Willow, the sun shining on the village green and a cold bottle of the Brown stuff!!!
    Great take!!!

Strat dude, also a great take, some nice melodic phrases in there, I can't really add anything to Russ' comment really, it's just those bends, apart from that it was fine!!!
    I can fully sympathise with the 'high action' scenario, until I culd afford more than one guitar I had much the same problem!!!

Cheers Neil, I'm still recovering from my trip to The Oval on monday....great day.

Stratdude, i also use a similar set up ( not on this take that was an onboard effect from my recorder) But usually I'm going through a Boss OD into a mini Marshall.

The metal zone is a bit harsh imho unless you want that kinda death metal meatallic distortion.

Try it like this though, keep the dist level to a quarter or so on the pedal and gve full gain on both you gains no your amp, then when you want a little boost just bring your pedal in.

I find it works better getting the majority of the distortion from the amp being boosted by the pedal rather than the other way round.

I can of course, be completely wrong

But, it's worth a try to change the tonality of the distortion.

Tisk, tisk, tisk...
    All this gear talk! LOL, I hope you guys are willing to give me some pointers when I finally get some effects.
    "It ain't what you play man! Its how you play it."
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    Try it like this though, keep the dist level to a quarter or so on the pedal and gve full gain on both you gains no your amp, then when you want a little boost just bring your pedal in.
    Yeah I've got the metal zone at about 30% usually, and only turn it on for leads (which, unfortunately, is most of the time.)

If I turn the gain knobs on the amp that high the Master Volume knob has to be turned down to about 1% or the windows rattle. This little thing has some kick.

At my Dad's house where I do most of my jamming, I've got a Boss OD (the yellow box) and a Digitech Bad Monkey (it sounds just like the Boss OD but the overdriven sound is a bit smoother, while equally as dirty. And only $40) I should bring one of those home now that I'm doing some recording. That should mellow it out a little bit.

Tucker: You are the kind of guy that, IMO, would respond well to a Bad Monkey and a chorus pedal. Push out that Eric Johnson sound, buddy!

Stratdude, I actually checked out the Bad Monkey thing. It was ok. Then I started playing with the LIne6 POD XT. I'm sold on it for now. I hope to pick one up sometime this weekend.
    "It ain't what you play man! Its how you play it."
    Hidden Content

Wow! That is a long one. I had to knock the bitrate down to 40kbps in order to get it below the size limit. Makes it sound pretty grainy. But - that's the blues! Grainy!

Man! Stratosaurus and UKRuss - good Gary Moore sounds. Mine is similar of course. But that is the "Strictly Sound" we are going for - right?. So here is my attempt. It's been a while since I have broke out my Gary Moore Records and CDs. I just remember blues and dirty ("Dirty Fingers" that is). Still got da blues!!

FYI...I am using a Pod XT Pro for my sound...
    Last edited by JohnJumper; 09-18-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Nice one JohnJ, that is very nice sound and phrasing.

Are you gary moore in disguise?
    Are you gary moore in disguise?

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Very Nice JJ!!!!!!!

I like that alot, some very nicely phrased ideas!!!!

JohnJ, very nice. You have your tone down, me thinks. Sounds great. I have nothing to say on how to improve it.

Some nice takes so far from the folks. I played around for 15 mins or so then tried 3 or 4 takes but never really got going, sort of stuck in intro mode - I always have this problem with improv over slow tracks - just can't change up a gear. Any tips?

As a result I've kept it nice and short. Sorry about that horrific bend at 1:28 - 1:30 - OK, the intonation is not great anway, but thats bad!!