Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: beginning from zero

beginning from zero

howdy
    I play the guitar since 1998 and i mainly trained to play pickingstuff, witch is a hard thing to do if you wanna play like Leo Kottke. About 4 month ago i had an accident involving a very sharp knife and the bending tendons in my right forefinger.
    After that cut in my life, my finger gots a littlebit stiff, and i cant bend it like i used to. Now i wonder if it is better to train playing with a stiff finger, switch from a right-to a left-handed player or to Learn playing flute.

Re: beginning from zero

Originally posted by jack4 finger
    howdy
    I play the guitar since 1998 and i mainly trained to play pickingstuff, witch is a hard thing to do if you wanna play like Leo Kottke. About 4 month ago i had an accident involving a very sharp knife and the bending tendons in my right forefinger.
    After that cut in my life, my finger gots a littlebit stiff, and i cant bend it like i used to. Now i wonder if it is better to train playing with a stiff finger, switch from a right-to a left-handed player or to Learn playing flute.
    If you have passion for the guitar, then keep on playing it! Django Reinhardt (sp?) was one of the more respected guitarists of the 20th century, and he only had two functional fingers on his fretting hand. If you mainly use a pick, can you just switch to using the thumb and middle finger to hold it? Good luck.

Yeah I agree...If you really love playing then start all over again, I think it would be worth it especially when you start getting as good as you once were before the accident.

I know For sure I would switch but I love playing almost more than anything.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Wouldn't switching to left-handed play require even more dexterity in the right forefinger? I mean, some folks do pick with thumb and middle, right?

In any case, I'd talk to a doctor about what good physical therapy and nutrition are needed to increase the flexibility. Heck, you may even find useful info at www.webmd.com, or at sites that discuss similar injuries.

On the other hand, I'm very fond of how flute is used in a lot of Latin styles--it's great stuff. Harmonica doesn't require much of that finger, either.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 12-21-2002 at 07:37 PM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

This reminds me: Here´s some good advice... if there´s a problem with your hands, and you go to a doctor, make sure you TELL HIM you´re a player.
    A friend of mine once had a problem with some of his sinews ( some kind of an early stage of the carpal tunnel syndrome ), and the doctor was like "OK, it´s just a small surgery, done quickly".
    My friend then mentioned something about playing the guitar and the doctor was like "Whoops, in that case..." and chose another treatment...
    Eric

I believe you can just work the finger and get your mobility back.
    I had a friend thats left arm was crushed in a big nasty machine, everyone thought he would be an amputee. Now he plays guitar and bass.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

First of all i want to say THANX A LOT for your answers!!
    I started to play again and im fighting for getting my finger back!
    And I think insted of wailing "poor jack will never play again like he had in the good old days! sniff", it is much cooler to say "look at me (im roy ) i`ve done it anyway!
    It is no disgrace to fell down, but it is not to stand up again!
    BY mom

A friend of mine once had a problem with some of his sinews ( some kind of an early stage of the carpal tunnel syndrome ), and the doctor was like "OK, it´s just a small surgery, done quickly".
    I think I suffer from that carpal tunnel syndrome... My hand and fingers on my left hand always sleep and I usually wake up every night because of that.

What was the other treatment?