Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Unusual" approach to chords

If the 'no rock' ban is still set, this won't be helpful, but Opeth is an incredible progressive death metal band that makes incredible use of altered harmonies - 'Deliverance', as one example, uses a great deal of diminished, and Mikael's solo, which uses pentatonics over quasi-diminished/nonscalar octaves, might be good inspiration for a new Strictly Whatever thread.

Also, noone's mentioned Mahavishnu Orchestra - I think it's wrong for a guitar thread to discuss altered harmony without mentioning McLaughlin's work with Mahavishnu, so I'm throwing that out there.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

Quote Originally Posted by TheJeffinator
    If the 'no rock' ban is still set, this won't be helpful, but Opeth is an incredible progressive death metal band that makes incredible use of altered harmonies - 'Deliverance', as one example, uses a great deal of diminished, and Mikael's solo, which uses pentatonics over quasi-diminished/nonscalar octaves, might be good inspiration for a new Strictly Whatever thread.

Also, noone's mentioned Mahavishnu Orchestra - I think it's wrong for a guitar thread to discuss altered harmony without mentioning McLaughlin's work with Mahavishnu, so I'm throwing that out there.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator
    Thanks a lot! It doesn't matter if it's rock or not, as long as the chords are interesting.

I better have this attitude, thus I might get more suggestions.

Actually, I've listened to Opeth already, and when I think about it, they had several interesting chords. I will give them another listen.

For what concerns the Mahavishnu Orchestra, I am not familiar with this band. I have heard about them, and that they are a great fusion band. Now, I haven't listened to fusion, so I have nothing to say, other than that I'll give the band a chance. Thanks for the advices!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJeffinator
    Ya, but we were all thinking of him...

Alice in Chains had some advanced chordal work too.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro
    Alice in Chains had some advanced chordal work too.
    Concrete song examples? I have heard a few songs by the band, but I am certainly no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Joe
    Thanks a lot! It doesn't matter if it's rock or not, as long as the chords are interesting.

I better have this attitude, thus I might get more suggestions.

Actually, I've listened to Opeth already, and when I think about it, they had several interesting chords. I will give them another listen.

For what concerns the Mahavishnu Orchestra, I am not familiar with this band. I have heard about them, and that they are a great fusion band. Now, I haven't listened to fusion, so I have nothing to say, other than that I'll give the band a chance. Thanks for the advices!
    If you haven't heard Mahavishnu, check out Birds Of Fire. That's probably the best album to start with - the title track is scary fast, going between two altered dominant chords (Ab#9#5, Bb-9-5) as the vamp they solo over - and it somehow gets better from there.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

Chris Chornell - Pillow Of Your Bones has some pretty awesome chords ( I think ). Not sure what they are though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmaus
    Chris Chornell - Pillow Of Your Bones has some pretty awesome chords ( I think ). Not sure what they are though lol.
    Chris Chornell? Or Chris Cornell - former Soundgarden, now Audioslave vocalist?

Yeah lol , I always spell that name wrong for some reason. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmaus
    Yeah lol , I always spell that name wrong for some reason. Sorry.
    OK, I will check out his songs. I like the man's work in Audioslave and the few Soundgarden songs I've listened to.