Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Unusual" approach to chords

"Unusual" approach to chords

I'm wondering if there is anyone who knows a band or two which might tend to include diminished chords, augmented chords frequently in their songs?

I have been listening mostly to classic rock and heavy metal myself, except for the most recent time, where I have opened up my mind; listening to funk, jazz, classical, pop etc.

Anyway, in classic rock and heavy metal, you will mainly hear power chords. Of course, there are many bands that don't rely only on power chords, but mainly, most rock bands will do.

Therefore I am asking; Is there anyone who know a band (rock/metal or not - it would be interesting if it wasn't!) that often include "original" chords in their song. Songs that don't consist only of power chords or major and minor triads.

I am sure you know what I mean. Now give me a few suggestions.

A couple of my students are learning "Helena" by My Chemical Romance, and there's a diminished 7th chord in there, but only in one spot.

My band has a tune that uses a lot of diminished chords in it (all acting as A7, or E7 at the end of the tune). Check out the song "As in a Dream" at www.alexandertheghost.com

As for augmented chords, they're not quite as common, but again, you can use them in the same places you would use V7 chords.

Stevie Wonder and Steely Dan. They use some of the most interesting progressions in pop music.

For Stevie Wonder I recommend the records Talkng Book, Innervisions, Fullfillingness' First Finale (what a title eh?), Songs in the Key of Life, Secret Life of Plants (some weird stuff on this one but also some of his best songs) and Hotter than July.

For Steely Dan it's kind of a rule that the older the album the more 'rock' it is, the newer albums seem to get more funky and jazzy. I like their newer albums best (Aja, Gaucho, Two Against Nature, Everything Must Go). Donald Fagen's solo albums are also worth a listen if you like this stuff, altough they can be a bit on the smooth side, great songs though.

Thanks a lot to both of you for your replies. I am going to check out the suggestions. Your bands track sounded interesting, Poparad, and Maarten: Did you mention FUNK? This sounds promising!

Primus is the only rock type band I know of that uses Diminished chords. Almost all their songs are based on diminished chords. They use them as primary chords.

I've got a few songs by Primus actually. I'll listen to them again very soon.

Now, do you know any non-rock bands that incorporate interesting chords?

Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Joe
    Now, do you know any non-rock bands that incorporate interesting chords?
    maybe you should be a little more specific. non-rock does cover everything else out there. Pretty much every classical or jazz song will have a diminished chord in it, or if it doesn't it can easily be substituted into the song while you are playing it...let alone all the other harmony that is uaully more interesting then anything else going on.

Now if you want CRAZY chords check out Ben Monder. That guy is one of the only guys out there that is harmonically advanced enough to 'properly' substitute for a piano player.

Quote Originally Posted by silent-storm
    maybe you should be a little more specific. non-rock does cover everything else out there. Pretty much every classical or jazz song will have a diminished chord in it, or if it doesn't it can easily be substituted into the song while you are playing it...let alone all the other harmony that is uaully more interesting then anything else going on.

Now if you want CRAZY chords check out Ben Monder. That guy is one of the only guys out there that is harmonically advanced enough to 'properly' substitute for a piano player.
    Well, I'm basically ready for anything that got interesting chords. The reason why I used the term 'non-rock bands' was that Primus is rock oriented. From what I remember it was also stated that "Primus is the only rock band that I..." - that way, I thought that the author of that line thought I was interested in rock oriented bands only. Which is not true.

I will check out this Ben Monder.

There's a death metal band called Hate Eternal who uses some diminished chords on one of their songs called "I, Monarch".
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Well, thanks for the suggestion. I am a little skeptical, but I should give it a listen. Keep the advices coming.

Thumbs up

He's got some killer chording chops. He's really opened up my ears to a lot of sounds that I didn't think you could really do on guitar.

John Mayer has very advanced chords, chord progressions, and chord voicings. The Police often used neat things, as did the Beatles.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Poparad
    He's got some killer chording chops. He's really opened up my ears to a lot of sounds that I didn't think you could really do on guitar.
    I read an article where he said he would like to play everything standing up, but it's just not possible because a lot of the voicings are physically impossible unless you sit...he even encorporates his chin, nose, or thumb around the front of the guitar to grab some of the bass notes.

Mick Goodrick and Ed Bickert are right up there as well...actually I should probably say Monder is right up there with those two.

I read an article where he said he would like to play everything standing up, but it's just not possible because a lot of the voicings are physically impossible unless you sit...he even encorporates his chin, nose, or thumb around the front of the guitar to grab some of the bass notes.
    He sounds like a passionate musician - I'm temped to explore his material.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Joe
    He sounds like a passionate musician - I'm temped to explore his material.
    I'd recommend either Flux or Excavation albums. Sometimes they can be a little hard to get a hold of because they keep going in and out of print, but there are usually a few websites out there that have them for sale.