Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Identify this?

  1. #1
    Registered User synesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    That causes political and stereotype problems
    Posts
    18

    Identify this?

    I've looked everywhere...in my head...in a coupla' books...online... half-step...whole-step formula...

    Can't find it...

    What's the deal here?

    From MacAlpine's "Beyond the Door"...

    Played over the key of Dm7...

    I was thinking of using it, except changing the last 3 notes to

    13...15...16,

    instead of 13...15...17.

    Maybe...dunno...sounds creepy cool...

    And jeez...easy to finger...

    Dm7
    |--------7--------| |--------7--------| |--3--| |--3--|
    S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E E E E E E
    |-------------------------------------13-15-17-----|
    |----------------------------14-15-17--------------|
    |-------------------14-15-17-----------------------|
    |----------14-15-17--------------------------------|
    |-14-15-17-----------------------------------------|
    |---------------------------------------------------|

    Just curious...thanks....
    mp3 file 2.4 MB direct download Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Latin Wedding Band Los Boleros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,762
    Quote Originally Posted by synesthesia
    Played over the key of Dm7...

    I was thinking of using it, except changing the last 3 notes to

    13...15...16,

    instead of 13...15...17.

    Maybe...dunno...sounds creepy cool...
    Yes, the diminished fifth has a real creepy sound that is intriguing. I use it all the time. Depending on what chord you actually play it over, you will find that most of the time you will need to resolve it.

    (Example: If in the key of Dm, the chord of the moment was Bb, then you could actually hold that last note without a need to resolve it)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

  3. #3
    Registered User synesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    That causes political and stereotype problems
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Boleros
    Yes, the diminished fifth has a real creepy sound that is intriguing. I use it all the time. Depending on what chord you actually play it over, you will find that most of the time you will need to resolve it.

    (Example: If in the key of Dm, the chord of the moment was Bb, then you could actually hold that last note without a need to resolve it)
    Cool thanks man...

    I ran through my head and my other places where I keep diminished stuff,
    and could not "justify" this one.

    Just lazily musing on your last comment...

    I resolve things...but also...puposefully leave stuff unresolved at times.

    Some listener's don't like it...

    I do though...and in the end I play for my enjoyment..since I don't get
    paid for this stuff.

    Anyway....enough rambles and thanks again...
    mp3 file 2.4 MB direct download Hidden Content

  4. #4
    Latin Wedding Band Los Boleros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,762
    Another example of where you could use that note without having to resolve it would be over E7 and in a II-V-i. As in E7-A7-Dm.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

  5. #5
    Registered User synesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    That causes political and stereotype problems
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Boleros
    Another example of where you could use that note without having to resolve it would be over E7 and in a II-V-i. As in E7-A7-Dm.
    Thanks for info man....and just by coincidence...those are my favorite keys,
    meaning E...A...and D as a base key.

    I'll look into doing something like you suggested.
    mp3 file 2.4 MB direct download Hidden Content

Similar Threads

  1. Best way to apply Ear Training?
    By MattW in forum Eartraining, Rhythm & Reading
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
  2. Identify the tuning??
    By brianhitscar in forum Music Theory
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 07:45 PM
  3. About transcribing
    By loveguitar in forum Guitar Technique
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 03:05 PM
  4. How To Identify A Good Singer
    By Music Lover in forum iBreathe Cafe
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •