Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Strictly More Cowbell

Strictly More Cowbell *READY*

After a bunch of technical difficulties, I finally managed to get these clips to 1.5 megs. All the regular modes are done, so why not try to use em all together. This is a 12 bar in E, with the bass outlining root and fifth for 99% of the time (theres one maj 3rd in the turnaround I think), so both major and minor ought to work at just about any time.

Midi has its limitations so the bass sounds too boomy/bassy, but once you get going, it shouldn't bother you too too much, hopefully. The drums are, what else, cowbells and ride. I was going for a country type of bass, but with the midi, it comes out "bossa novaish" to my ears, so I balanced that out with the cowbells instead of snares. But it needs more cowbell. This one could be a bossa novaish jazz, a 12 bar country, a 12 bar rhumba, or something else depending on how you hear it and what you play over it.

Anyway, its wide open as to what you can do with this. Just about anything should work over this, You can put all your colours on the palette minus your really off tones. But I'm sure that some can manage to fit some locrian or something into this as well. What is important is that you swing along with the backing, or not, depending on what your trying to create. There are those 2 most basic tension/release qualities that should be easy to work on over this backing, switching between major and minor (modes if you wish), and alternating between playing swing and straight, playing ahead of the beat, or behind the beat. This is a skill still very much a work in progress for me, but for the jazz teachers, students and professionals (teachers, etc.), I encourage you to take a shot at this since we don't really seem to focus/hear much of that sort of thing here at IBM. I know theres a storm of talent out there remaining silent.

As for what I did, I did a clean sound through a Fender Twin Reverb amp simulator (mmmmm... I wish I had one of those), playing mostly pentatonics, then used chord forms through some of the turnarounds. I like switching between major/minor, I know thats boring for a lot of you, but I still had fun with it. No exception here, I switch between the two to create tension and so on, nothing too brainy (or interesting) there. I don't think I did a good job of capturing the feeling of the rhythm, I played a bit ahead of the beat for some reason (lack of technique, natural biorhythm, accident, or something else), which I wish I mixed with a bit more of behind the beat playing. This ahead of the beat playing results in a feeling that I'm leading the backing, a bit too much IMO. But thats just how I saw how my rhythmic displacement affected the feeling of the piece, try to see how your natural rhythm affects the how you sound. Also, leave all those nifty effects alone if you can, because that really robs the piece of its natural feel. If you add a compressor, distortion, and too much reverb, theres no way you can hear the nuiance of your rhythm. The dynamics are as big a part of rhythmic feel as timing. Enough of that...

Have fun. Look forward to hearing some interpretations.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mateo150; 07-14-2005 at 04:04 PM.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Yeeehaa

Hey Mateo150 you old cowboy Nice stuff! I like your playing over the backing. first it has kind of fusion-/slide-guitar in it and sectionwise it sounds like blues slide guitar by B.B. King or somewhere I found something that remembered me of Robben Ford. Your Dynamics and accentuations are very well set and bring lots of color in the track! This different influences are all put together to a (partwise also Tito&Tarantula-Sounding) Bossa-Blues-Fusion-Latino-MajMin-Whatever-Track, really: pretty good job! I'll hopefully post my version on it by time but since this will be my first recording I'm going to post in this forum perhaps I'll first do the "Strictly-Dorian Thread" or something where I can go much better into the subject matter... (But I'm 100% dealing with posting my share to a strictly (followed by more...) thread soon!)

Greetz,
    live
    ________
    Www.****.com
    Last edited by live; 03-28-2011 at 12:39 AM.

hmm

nice job. good solo, very nice.

I have a feeling this is gonna be a little difficult for me to play. Firstly, playing without distortion(and effects) and opting for a clean sound, is not natural for me, my tone and my style. Secondly, there is no strict scales or rules to follow so im kinda bewidered by what scales i should use. Im thinking maybe a bit of minor pent, dorian, mixo, maybe ionion. This is definatly a challenge to solo over, definatly no shredding on this one, although Russ can seem to shred over anything and it sounds good.

I may attempt it, probably sounds like crap.

I tried this one. It is great!! The backing is so minimal you can do anything. I tried to do something different. Which was hard because Mateo's fit so nicely and was exactly what should be played over this backing - very Glass Harp/Phil Keaggy sounding. I used E minor diatonic mixed with E Minor blues licks. I also put in some chromatic runs down the neck centered around the E minor scale. I went for more of a Jazz feel with a totally clean tone.

This recording has a bit of flang on it because of the bit rate. I could not get it down small enough without that flangging - sorry about that.

Nice Job Mateo!!!
    Last edited by JohnJumper; 08-13-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Loved it John, especially those outside lines, really give it a whole new vibe. It sounded like you were grooving with the drums a lot, and that really gave it a heavy jazz feel, had a soft/smooth jazz feel at times, then spices of outside sounds, with bluesy jazz lines.

Here's some more files if you want to play around with it, I have the orignal bass line written out in Powertab, (I revised it in Cakewalk, the velocity and note durations to fit the sound I had in mind), along with the drum and bass audio files separately. Some of the engineers might have some fun with it, or one of you bass players can lay a good bass line over it instead of that midi junk.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Very nice JohnJ, great vibe!

I'm transported to the Lounge Bar at the Inter- Conti, Pattaya, Thailand...and believe me, that's not a bad place to be

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Yes, but you didn't try it with the tin flute, and I'm just a bit disappointed you didn't step up to the plate on this one.

But seriously John, that was really kinda cool--I'm just joing around on the flute thing. Well, maybe not so much.

I thought this thread was going to be a littel bit of a satire thread, from the title. I was expecting (hoping for) something like the Saturday Night Live skit (Don't Fear the Reaper).

Pleasantly surprised though. Really a great thread and a great idea.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 04-23-2006 at 04:36 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Bongo Boy????????????

Wow, I thought you were dead. Great to see you back!

Do you have that "Autumn Leaves" down yet?

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Dead, but not forgotten!

Autumn Leaves needs just a leetle beet more work, then it'll be ready for my planned solo debut/tour, Autumn with Bongo, scheduled to open Spring 2008. I'm very excited, and so far the response has been great. Some folks have asked about the narrow focus of the material, and about the selection of spring for the launch, but heck, I just refer them to my promo guy, who is also handling all my TD Waterhouse investments and my HUD repo on the trailer.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 04-24-2006 at 12:11 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Here's what I came up with it. Fun backing track to jam to.
    ~UltimaRage~

That's a really awesome job. Reminds me a ton of Trey Anastasio's solo in Possum.