Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Locrian

Oh I see... that was some legato-playing using a 3NPS pattern. Thanks again for your comments, glad you liked it a bit more this time =)

Regarding the breaking string thing... I agree that it´s something you might think of ( "Man, I´ll break a string if I pull it up like that" ), but then again, consider this: a really wide bend ( minor or major third ) is an equal risk, and that shouldn´t keep you from using them, and also... if you like the sound of pulling up on the bar, you have to decide whether it´s worth risking to break a string.
    I think it is ( especially when I am NOT on stage, but recording at home ), and therefore, I stopped caring about it too much.
    I never broke a string doing it, by the way. It does not exactly increase their life-span, but I think to a certain degree, you can risk it
    Eric

OK. Now I have to say I seldom do minor third bends too. I'd definately not do that on the high E string. On the B string I might do it occasionally, especially now as I got a backup set of strings. For the raising of the bar, I might do that from time to time as well, but I would for sure not raise it much.

Another thing. I have never had as thick strings as today. Now I actually got 10-46. The sound itself was really great, maybe the best I have ever had. However, the G string was a hell when it comes to bending in the beginning. I have still not gotten used to it. It's like I have to bend it twice as much (comapred to earlier) to bend it up a whole step (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit). Is this usual? I had to bend it heavily until I reached the right note. It's almost so I'm considering finding the same note on the B string, just a few frets lower, in that kind of situations.

Any comments?

EDIT: steve, I have to say it was very awkward to play that way. However, I am sure it will get better by practice. Thanks a lot for the tab.
    Last edited by Apple-Joe; 07-27-2005 at 01:26 AM.

It is normal that it feels like quite a difference. Especially if you have played 009s for a long time. Back when I got into trying other gauges, it was after I had used 009s for a while. Put on a set of 010s, and the bendings were really tough at first. I kept working on it, and eventually it worked just as well as bending on the thinner ones.
    THEN I switched to 008s. Oh boy, guess my surprise when I did a major third bend without any problem suddenly. Without even really trying =)
    Give it some time, maybe do my "bend by feel" exercise from the bending article, you´ll get there eventually... 010s should still be "bendable" without having to think about playing the bend on another string.
    Just my opinion though
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    It is normal that it feels like quite a difference. Especially if you have played 009s for a long time. Back when I got into trying other gauges, it was after I had used 009s for a while. Put on a set of 010s, and the bendings were really tough at first. I kept working on it, and eventually it worked just as well as bending on the thinner ones.
    THEN I switched to 008s. Oh boy, guess my surprise when I did a major third bend without any problem suddenly. Without even really trying =)
    Give it some time, maybe do my "bend by feel" exercise from the bending article, you´ll get there eventually... 010s should still be "bendable" without having to think about playing the bend on another string.
    Just my opinion though
    Eric
    OK. I'll keep working on my bending on those strings. At least I have quite good ears so I know when the bend is right and when it isn't. I just have to 'get to know' especially the G string from the beginning on again.

SteveH
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Joe
    EDIT: steve, I have to say it was very awkward to play that way. However, I am sure it will get better by practice. Thanks a lot for the tab.
    As I said, I wouldnt have picked that particular section as an introduction to the technique, because you end up crossing strings with your middle finger.

If you want something a little easier try just sustaining a tremolo on one note, then move on to 4 note per string chromatics.

Regards

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve0192
    As I said, I wouldnt have picked that particular section as an introduction to the technique, because you end up crossing strings with your middle finger.

If you want something a little easier try just sustaining a tremolo on one note, then move on to 4 note per string chromatics.

Regards

Steve
    Yes, but how about the fingering? I am not experienced with this method, the classical method if I understood you correctly.

Do you have a few easy beginner examples in Power Tab format? I could experiment on my own, creating my own habits, but I'd really like to "hear it from the pro's". In the meantime, I could give the example I already got, a new try.

SteveH
    Yes, but how about the fingering? I am not experienced with this method, the classical method if I understood you correctly.

Do you have a few easy beginner examples in Power Tab format? I could experiment on my own, creating my own habits, but I'd really like to "hear it from the pro's". In the meantime, I could give the example I already got, a new try.
    The tremolo technique is a right hand technique. Basically you play the same pattern over and over. The pattern being... (using the letters I gave you earlier). p a m i p a m i p a m i.... over and over again.

Have a look at the tab file I gave you, you'll see that' that's exactly what the right hand is doing.

There's a video clip of someone doing this slowly at the bottom of this page...

http://www.mangore.com/recuerdos_de_la_alhambra.html

This is the traditional tremolo technique where the thumb plays the bass accompanyment and the fingers repeat the same melody note, but there's no reason why the thumb and fingers cant all play the same note ~ what I did in a run in the the Strictly Pentatonic improv, or why the fingers cant all play different notes in a pattern or run as you heard in the Dorian improv above.

I'll spend a bit more time and try to demonstrate things a little better when UKRUSS and I get our respective acts together.

EDIT:
    I was just having a look around that site and came across this.

http://www.mangore.com/08.ram

It has a very good demonstration, with lots of closeups, of the tremolo in action on a classical guitar.

Regards

Steve
    Last edited by steve0192; 07-27-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Great links! Interesting. A lot to dive into. So this is what you've been studying. Seems like it takes a lot of work. However, I'm ready to give it a try.

SteveH
    Great links! Interesting. A lot to dive into. So this is what you've been studying. Seems like it takes a lot of work. However, I'm ready to give it a try.
    I started playing the classical guitar when I was 7, I'm 39 now, so yes I'd agree with that..

Steve

Damn!!!

That's two strictlies I've been caught dragging my arse over!

RIGHT! This weekend, sorted for sure!

steve, let's say you're going to play a note on one string, in triplets. Would you use the "a-m-i a-m-i a-m-i" motion consequently for that little exercise?

SteveH
    Hi there,

Personally I'd use p a m i p a m i anyway, because I'm so used to it now. As with the snippet I tabbed. The pattern is a 6 note pattern that would fit the right hand more easily if you used 3 fingers rather than 4, but I'm so used to the 4 note pattern now that it's not a problem any more.

It depends though. I take big liberties playing the electric, so use techniques that I'd never get away with playing on the classical. But then the instruments are so different that I think you have to do that to get the best out of the instrument.

a m i a m i is fine though. The thing to do is to just play a single repeated note and try to get it as even an clean as possible. What newbies tend to do is to go for speed straight away and you end up with uneven groups of notes. Speed is not a problem, it really does come with time with these techniques.

Steve

Hi there,

Personally I'd use p a m i p a m i anyway, because I'm so used to it now. As with the snippet I tabbed. The pattern is a 6 note pattern that would fit the right hand more easily if you used 3 fingers rather than 4, but I'm so used to the 4 note pattern now that it's not a problem any more.

It depends though. I take big liberties playing the electric, so use techniques that I'd never get away with playing on the classical. But then the instruments are so different that I think you have to do that to get the best out of the instrument.

a m i a m i is fine though. The thing to do is to just play a single repeated note and try to get it as even an clean as possible. What newbies tend to do is to go for speed straight away and you end up with uneven groups of notes. Speed is not a problem, it really does come with time with these techniques.

Steve
    I checked out the Power Tab once again. The example you provided yesterday. I certainly understand what you meant by that "middle finger crossing index finger". It was a little awkward, however, I have a feeling it will get better by time. I'll ignore speed in the beginning, and focus on doing it right.

As we're on the subject of fingerstyle. Have you ever tried this technique; Use your right hand thumb and index as you would use the a pick. The thumb counts as down stroke, while the index steps in where you'd usually do an up stroke. Are you familiar with this technique? I haven't known it for long - but it's a good technique to use if you haven't got a pick available.

SteveH
    Hi there,

Yes I know it, but dont use it quite like that.

I tend to hold my hand like I'm holding a pick, but use my index finger nail on both the up and down strokes.

Probably 50% of the 2 solos in this thread were played like that. I try to mix techniques to get different textures in my playing.

Regards

Steve

Hi there,

Yes I know it, but dont use it quite like that.

I tend to hold my hand like I'm holding a pick, but use my index finger nail on both the up and down strokes.

Probably 50% of the 2 solos in this thread were played like that. I try to mix techniques to get different textures in my playing.

Regards

Steve
    Then your nail must be quite strong now.