Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Eric's Sus2 lick

Eric's Sus2 lick

What's up?

Hi Eric,
    I wanted to ask you more about the Sus2 lick shown in the pulse newsletter

The lick is in E minor, so my question is if I'm playing in a band, say with a bassist, drummer and/or rhythm guitarist or keyboardist. How would I actually use this lick in my playing? If the guitarist is playing a Em chord can I play this lick over it? I understand that sus chords or appergios would give you a suspend feeling, wanting to resolve, whats the best way to use this lick?

-Beast

One thing I usually do first when I wanna try something like that, before getting into any analyzing or whatever, I either put on a jam track in a certain key or program a simple chord in Powertab and try the lick.
    The lick is tabbed out in the key of Emin, and you can play it over an Em ( or over D5-E5, or a G )... BUT since sus2-chords really are neither major nor minor, you can use that same lick in the key of A maj too ( IV and V= D Maj / E Maj )... or A min ( IV and V= Dmin Emin, in that case you might have to stretch a bit more since itŽll most likely sound better if you play the an F instead of F# in the Esus 2 ), or in D Maj.
    Try it out... it might take some experimenting cuz some of those possibilities will sound odd, but maybe youŽll find some cool new sounds...
    Eric

B E F# A D E

These also could be thought of as B sus4 and A sus4.

Am B E Harmonic
    A Bm Key of D
    A B Key of E
    Am Bm Key of G

Dm E A Harmonic
    D Em Key of G
    D E Key of A
    Dm Em Key of C
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content