Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Finger Rolling

best member ever!

Finger Rolling

Hey, im wondering if anyone could help me with finger rolling.eg, if your playing an arrpeggio and its one note per string and all in the same fret. Do you "roll" the finger by distorting the finger or do you use an arm motion where you dont have to move the finger at all?

I personally move my finger, however I don't quite get your meaning by using arm movement, so that may be easier but moving your finger works fine for me. Try to barre your finger as best you can.

best member ever!
    Thanks for the reply! im sorry i cant explain what i mean very well in writing.
    Lets say you were playing the 5th fret on the A string and then 5th fret on d,g,b. I play the A string with the very tip of my finger and then kinda pull my arm back towards me causeing the finger to "roll" across the strings. Im just wondering does anyone else do this?

Quote Originally Posted by jptk
    Thanks for the reply! im sorry i cant explain what i mean very well in writing.
    Lets say you were playing the 5th fret on the A string and then 5th fret on d,g,b. I play the A string with the very tip of my finger and then kinda pull my arm back towards me causeing the finger to "roll" across the strings. Im just wondering does anyone else do this?
    That sounds pretty clever, yet possibly painful. I just kinda flatten my finger and keep on sweeping.

Aaron
    yeah I would usually bar too, your method sounds like it would be very hard to acheive a fast speed with. It would cause a lot open strings and sound bad on the amp unless you take a lot of time to build it up. If you wanna see sweep picking you should see jason becker play serrena

Jason Becker is my sweep hero. He is one of the greats

when you bar the fret how do you mute each note as you pick them?
    \m/ chunk chunk chunk \m/

best member ever!
    I do bar my finger and play each note with a different part of my finger, but the movement comes from my arm. How would you play 4 note on different strings but the same fret by just moving your finger? cause your finger needs to move of the note you just played when playing the next note so it dosnt ring out?