Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Lack of Progress

Lack of Progress

I think I have figured out reason for my lack of progress on guitar. It is also an annoyance.

I listen to too much music- not meaning I want to listen to less, just the variety is too big. This would be ok, but I can't listen to it all at once. I have phases- I'll listen to RATM for 2 days, Powermetal for 2 days, go to Crowded House, on to Chopin, to Wes Montgomery, to SRV, to Vai; you get the point. This is frustrating for me not having just music that I listen to regulary. However it is more frustrating in terms of guitar- I can't focus on one thing- When I listen to RATM, I try make noises with my limited time. Powermetal I work on my chops/harmonies. Crowded house I work on chords/singing. Montgomery, octaves etc. Also I try to learn songs and bits and pieces by them.

The problem is I can't 'specialize' in one artist/type of music and it is frustrating sometimes as a listener but also as a guitarist as it is holding back my improvement.

Suggestions what I can do in terms of listening and music.

(This also could all be a problem when I buy more gear. Imagine me wanting to buy gear different days and following through with it :O )

I don't really see that as a problem. In the long run, it will make you better. Keep up the singing as it will one day be your most valueable asset. Most of all, Keep on listening and learning.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Mod
    one day you will be strong in every aspect instead of just one, and you'll see many people around you only specialize in a few or one. Just ask yourselve if thats what you want. To me, I think its great!

I did the oposite when I first started (I was a REAL metal head) and I got pretty good at it but about 5 years into my playing I realized that everything I played sounded the same, and went through a crisis and stopped playing for a while, then I found IBM . And I realized that I needed to explore other styles and I've been doing that (I kinda wished I had done that from the beginning), classical guitar (both violin pieces arranged for electric guitar and finger style nylon string guitar), the blues, a little country, I've been trying to get into jazz here lately but I am nowhere near actually playing it (getting there ).

So like the other ones said, you will come to the point where you'll have to branch out (or just be like those who are stuck sounding like someone else). If you listen to great players, famous or not, you'll realize their influences are many and in many different styles.

So don't worry, you're in the right track. Keep listening to as much music as you can, and play as often as you can. The results will show soon.

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

All good comments so far. When I read the OP I took it to mean that they felt they were starting lots of things and then not finishing them, moving onto a bit of the next one, same story and on and on... doesn't feel too good. I've been there, it can be an overwhelming feeling trying to do too much and getting knowhere fast.

I think (in any discipline artistic, sporting, work) you have to get ORGANISED. e.g. Take the time you have divide it up (say nominally by 2) into technique & repetoire. Then divide the technique and repetoire into blocks.

For technique, say 15 minute blocks of chords, scales, arps, legato/bending, picking etc. (rotating over a couple of days to cover all the bases if needed) - keep the number of exercises in each block quite small (and rotate those too). Too many blocks and too many exercises in one day can just leave you feeling like you did a lot of things badly - I learnt this the hard way and I still do it sometimes . Check Eric's workout articles for expert ways to work on technique.

Heres the rub, you need to work on technique for all of the styles you want to play. If you don't have endless time you might have to decide that being a hybrid picking master has to wait a few years. So, after ORGANISATION comes REALISM. ..

For repetoire - again, not too many songs/pieces in one day, maybe work on a couple that you are improving on (but basically know) and one new one. Again be realistic about what you can take on. Learn them all the way through. Play really easy songs too and don't forget to do some jamming improv at the end of a session.

I'm not saying this is what you must do - I'm not qualified - but I would say think about the time you have and try organising it realistically and don't overwhelm yourself with too much stuff.