Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Modal Chords and Charicteristic Notes....

Modal Chords and Charicteristic Notes....

Hi,
    I know how modes work and that they each have major/minor and major seventh/minor seventh chords that coraspond to them. (eg: Ionian= Imaj or Imaj7.) I also know that each mode has a charicteristic note. ( eg- dorion's is the 6, phrigian is the b2, etc.) But I heard that you can construct different chords for each mode from this characteristic. PLease could someone tell me what they are.
    Thanks.

Sorry, but I don't understand this question. Anyone?

What ?
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

I think he is asking for chords that accentuate a specific mode.Like,Maj7#11 implies Lydian etc. and he is asking for the other chords for the rest of the modes.I know Phrygian Dominant mode is implied by a 7b9 chord.I think this is what Simon3 is asking for except for the rest of the modes of the Major scale.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

My problem with this is that it takes several characteristics notes to uniquely identify a particular mode (not one!). Some modes would require the spelling nearly the whole mode to uniquely Identify them, I don't think this guy was askng for 13th chords!. Didn't we discuss this topic already in the simplifying thread?
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Simon3 wrote:
    Modal Chords and Charicteristic Notes....
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

I think I understand what your saying. you really can't capture the full harmony of the mode without creating a 13th chord with all 7 notes, because the modes of the harmonic and melodic minor scales and modes will have a mode very simimlar, as will a lot of other obscure scales. It'll be implied more by what goes along the chord than anything else. but here would be the best ideas, that come really close:

Ionian: Maj11 (1-3-5-7-11)
    Dorian: m13 (1-b3-5-b7-13)
    Phygerian: m7b9 (1-b3-5-b7-b9)
    Lydian: Maj7#11 or add9#11 (1-3-5-7-#11) or (1-3-5-9-#11)
    Mixolydian: 13 (1-3-5-b7-13)
    Aeolian: m9(b13) (1-b3-5-b7-9-b13)
    Locarian: m7b5 (1-b3-b5-b7)