Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Latin

Strictly Latin

Continuing with the idea of exploring a style of music, let's do some latin!

To get that proper feel to it I asked Rudy of Los Boleros to assist me with creating something close to the mark.

It's difficult to really create a proper Clave (Rudy may comment more on this in a reply. I think he had some nice web links to info on the Clave) wihout access to the proper percussion instruments or a very decent drum machine, so I gave it my best shot.

The first thing Rudy told me was the tempo is crucial to get the groove going, I think we ended up somewhere near the 155bpm mark.

The progression gives a verse/chorus type arrangement and a repeating chorus outro which gets fun! (Curse the file limit, as you'll hear it really sounds like we're just launching into some crazy solo trade offs when we have to cut things short)

Dm A7 Gm A7 Dm makes up the verse and the chorus swings between Dm and A7.

Rudy says, "During the verse I used a melody that just kinda followed the chords. During the chorus which is Dm-A7-A7-Dm I used a lot of diminshed licks.Over the Dm I used Ddim and over the A7 I use Gdim. D harmonic minor and D melodic minor are also used over the A7. Melodic minor is used just once to ascend"

Again I'm sure of there any specific queries Rudy will be happy to expand in a reply.

Rudy plays two parts both on the Tres Cubano a rhythm part which you'll hear slightly panned to the right and features in both our version and the backing track. His solo parts are panned slightly left and will only feature in our version.

I play an acoustic rhythm part which is central and remains in the background. I follow the chords in a finger picking style.

My soloing adds perhaps a bit of contrast with the distorted Ibanez, doing my usual thing! I'm tending to stick with harmonic minor and straight minor in D.

I've posted powertabs of the harmonic minor scale and also a possible lick, not sure if I used it myself, if I didn't I should have, it's nice

My bass is sticking with root and fifth, again Rudy advising me that the bass tends to remain fairly simple. Its a bit back in the mix which is my fault really but turn up your volume. Which is a good idea anyway

The challenge is to explore the latin feel, emulate some harmonic minor type ideas or go for the strictly latin sound of Rudy's Tres!

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by UKRuss; 05-08-2005 at 08:14 AM.

2 guys joining forces .. this is great!

Thanks guys.
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

Awesome! you guys continue to push the envelope of the Strictly series!

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Top Job, guys!!!!!

Russ, cheers for the sneak preview, I don't think anyone could call it cheating!!!!

I really enjoyed working on this one with Russ.

I've been asked alot about that diminished stuff. I've kinda gone crazy over it and have been working hard to find my own sound with it.

I kinda tried to go over-board alittle on this one to really prove a point, That you really can't over do it.

Also too, I tend to think of the Dm Chord as D Dorian. D Diminished has the B note in common with D dorian. Over the A7 Chord, the B must become Bb.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Likewise Rudy, great working with you. It's excellent fun doing that kind of collaboration, I hope everyone enjoys playing over the backing track as much as we did

I think one of my first ever comments on IBreathe was that I dreamt of an "IBreathestock" event.

Now, it may never become a reality (but don't rule it out) but it may be a virtual possibility...

wow, amazing stuff Mr Santana. Ill only post something if it sounds good, these strictly are getting really theory intensive, im struggling to keep up lol. Los Boleros, can you upload your take, id love to hear your playing.

Satch, that was him playing and Russ.

Im gonna upload mine even though it has 100 + mistakes cause I need some pointers.
    And how do you guys keep track of those chord changes cause I can't! Are you going by feel or counting the bars or mabye you just have it memorized so well you dont have to do either?

And ignore the intro to my take please....and those bad bends and slides.
    I hit a couple bum notes.

latin shred

D harmonic minor, its really just mindless shredd, sorry i cant play latin music, guess cause im not latin and its not in my blood like classic rock and metal.

I tried some melodies but i endedup shredding most of the time. Why not just call it strictly "latin shred" . lol. god , i suck, oh well. . as long as it doesnt hurt your ears to much.

and schmaus , dahh, im jokin, i know its russ and some other dude playing, its just a joke cause santana is a good latin influenced guitar player.

That other dude WAS Los Boleros. Sorry I didnt make that too clear haha sry

Schmaus, It's more the groove that possibly puts you off. The chord changes are on the bar...actually I think I missed one myself with my acoustic rhythm part...which is why I turned it down in the mix

The chorus part goes Dm A7 A7 Dm. Kind of mirrored.

but what ends up happening is this:

One bar of Dm two bars of A7 two bars of Dm and so on.

Dm A7 A7 Dm Dm A7 A7 Dm Dm A7 A7 Dm

Once you get that in your head it's OK.

Nailing the resolution in your runs can be tricky, but once you get the hang of the changes, you can start to "feel" that latin vibe coming through.

I'll listen to the takes later.

Satch, yes...just to clarify, The man we know here on Ibreathe as Los Boleros' real name is Rudy. Rudy was playing on the track we put together posted under the original post. You can't mistake that Tres!

Umm.. Russ'n'Rudy that was sweet - I might have to make a fool of myself with this one too.. Isn't the internet wonderful!

Schmaus - I think you've got the chops there and a bit more time spent with the track getting a feel for where the changes come would get you more into the comfort zone. I sense that you are bit uncomfortable about what to play next (I know how it sounds because it happens a lot to me). Try this as an idea: Grab a piece of paper and right down the basic structure of the song (Verse : Chorus : Verse) then add under each section some ideas of what to use Lick A x 2 (don't be afraid of repitition) , Lick B etc. I'm not talking about composing, just getting a really rough structure in place and then when you have that you can tag some improv bits around the planned stuff. This helps me get this stuff together - and I need all the help I can get

Satch - lots of note man! Have you got some tuning / key / scale thing going on there. If you were hitting on some resolution a bit more that style could work over this.

Latin/Shred/Metal

Latin music is really very much like the music that ingwy plays, just a different beat and different instruments. Try to imagin it with a heavy double bass drummer and loud marshal stacks! Hey Ashc, thats some real good advice! Write it down and try to follow the changes using chord tones as much as possible. At first it will sound just educational but as you get used to following the chords, you will be able to sneak in a shred here and there. Keep up the good work guys!

Verse= :|Dm///|//A7/|Gm/A7/|//Dm/|:

Bridge= |Dm,C,Bb,A|

Chorus= :|Dm/A7/|//Dm/|Dm/A7/|//Dm/|:
    Last edited by Los Boleros; 05-09-2005 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have my recording mics set up in my office right now so I took the liberty of adding a Bamboo Clave and a Djembe Snare tone to the backing mix.

P.S. I will be taking another crack at this one soon.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks alot for the advice guys, I think ill give it a few more hours of work. Ultimately this will improve me all around as far as improvising. Which is awesome.