Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attending a music school

Interesting Topic on Petrucci's Site

Check this out

http://www.petrucciforum.com/cgi-bin...=1&topic=10140

I found this very interesting since I was planning on going to a music school.

So did that change your opinion ?
    Eric

Lemme elaborate...

This post is interesting, but it is no surprise neither.
    When you ask for opinions about a school, youīll sure get different opinions... some people who are absolutely satisfied, some who are "ok" with it, some who are disappointed.

Itīs the nature of things. I feel bad for the guy who posted this, it must suck to come to realizations like that, but:
    Itīs just one opinion, and he sure isnīt the first one whoīs not satisfied with his time at the school.

One of his main points seems to be the "GIT is focussed too much on earning money with music" thing. Fair enough.
    See, this is something I appreciate. The gIT gives you the tools to work in different musical environments, to be able to get jobs as a musician. YOu learn a lot of different musical styles, you learn how to sight-read, you learn how to work in the studio etc.
    That is all valuable information. If thatīs what youīre looking for. It was what I was looking for. If you spend 1 or 2 years at a school and pay that much money, you better get something out of it, that is what I was thinking.
    I had to pay for my tuition there myself, which was tough. But the effect that I was able to work in different musical environments was IMHO worth the effort.
    If you wanna have a "pure music" tuition, where thereīs not a word about commercial stuff, then maybe the GIT ainīt the right school for you. But I also would like to point out that, although they do have a focus on the commercial / work side of things, it still is your choice where you "wanna go".
    If you go to a school like that, you gotta check it out in advance... visit it once or twice to check out some classes ( they offer that option ), maybe talk to some graduates or teachers.
    And you gotta have some goal. YOu should know who you are and where you wanna go. Donīt expect the teacher to come in to tell WHAT you have to learn HOW for WHAT purpose...
    So itīs kinda up to you what you wanna do with the time there, and you gotta do a lot yourself, using the resources they offer.

That is what is sometimes hard to deal with, for many people.

To sum this up: The guy who wrote that post sure has a valid opinion. It sure is not the only negative opinion regarding the GIT, but there sure are many ( MANY ) "satisfied customers" such as myself.
    To me, the "commercial" aspect ( how to earn money as a musician, how to be prepared for all kindsa jobs ) definitely was important since I love to play music and was planning on being a professional musician ( the "learn to shred, become a rockstar, earn millions" dream already seemed a bit unrealistic back then ).
    So they give you the tools. For some people, that works, for some it doesnīt.
    Itīs a school. High-school prepares you for life and a job too ( or gives you the tools to further your education even more afterwards ), even itīs not as obvious sometimes. Its pretty much the same focus here.
    So if you wanna go to a music school, you gotta think about what you wanna do, what you wanna get out of it, what you expect from it, and do some research to check whether that school can offer that.
    And I think there are complaints about EVERY music school, as much as there are satisfied graduates.
    Hope this helps
    Eric

I'm sure there are many people who can say positive things about places like GIT etc.

Be sure to hear both sides of the story before you decide what to do. You shouldn't just base it on one account, many people have different opinions, both good and bad.
    Last edited by Shred Fan; 01-09-2003 at 12:08 PM.

Eric, ya got my vote!

Also check out this thread: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...s=&threadid=27

And one more thing... the thing about "being turned into a drone, taking every job"... Well, I donīt consider the following players "drones":
    Paul Gilbert, Jennifer Batten, Scott Henderson, Joy Basu, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale, Jaye Foucher, Mike Campese, Abi von Reininghaus .. ( this list could be continued )
    They are well-rounded players, who used the resources and information offered at the school to further their musicianship and go into the direction they wanted to go in to...
    Again ( this is only my opinion ): It depends on yourself where you wanna go and what you wanna do with the tools you get at those schools
    Eric

EricV,

absolutely great post!

And you gotta have some goal. YOu should know who you are and where you wanna go. Donīt expect the teacher to come in to tell WHAT you have to learn HOW for WHAT purpose...
    That's the problem all young folks have to deal with as they enter real world with its problems and freedom - whether it be music or any other field.

Having goal is a decision which is the hardest thing to do in this life.

I should stop here cos I'm starting to preach

Zatz.

yep, I think this is a double edged discussion. I guess if you asked 1000 graduates from GIT / Berklee ya will get 1000 answers - mostly depending on the attitude that students had before and while attending such a school. The "I wanna be the next Paul Gilbert" attitude will get you nowhere.

Funny enough, I noticed a big difference in attitude depending on where a student was from. International students mostly had a clear goal in mind and followed their route, wheras a lot of students from the States had a lack of attitude. About 50% of all american students dropped out within the first year. I think that this is due to that for international students it's a bigger step to move to the States. So, they gotta think more about the why and what. Just MHO.

Did you experience something similar at the GIT, Eric?

Guni

Originally posted by Guni
    International students mostly had a clear goal in mind and followed their route, wheras a lot of students from the States had a lack of attitude. About 50% of all american students dropped out within the first year. I think that this is due to that for international students it's a bigger step to move to the States. So, they gotta think more about the why and what. Just MHO.
    I'm currently studying in a music college in Malaysia and I noticed the same time, lots of the locals will drop out within the first year and strangely enough they are usually guitarists. I talked to a couple to them, most of them didn't really have a goal in mind. They are like studying for the sake of studying.

-Beast

Yes, definitely. For international students, it was way more work to get to the school, to prepare for it etc.
    So they seemed to be a bit more serious about it.

We also saw a lot of students who went to the school, sat down in class and expected the teacher to do exactly what I mentioned above... to tell them WHAT to learn HOW for WHAT purpose... there was no real goal there, so they of course felt as if this education was going nowhere.
    I remember John Petrucci ( who attended Berklee ) mention that attitude and that it wonīt get you anywhere... that you have to have a goal.
    "I wanna be good" is not a good goal. I mean, yes, itīs a good attitude but itīs not defined enough. "I wanna be stylistically versatile", "I wanna be able to work in different musical environments ( such as the studio, "hired gun", musicals... )... thatīll get you a bit further.
    2 things are important:
    1. You gotta make sure you stay kinda unique. What I mean by that is, try to maintain a bit of your individual musical personality. If there are flaws in your playing or you lack knowledge, fine, the GIT will help you with that. But try to keep your personality, your direction. Otherwise, youīll come out and youīll be confused... youīve got all this playing technique and knowledge but no way tp channel it.

2. Try to filter the incoming information a bit. You get A LOT of stuff, a lot of exercises, information etc. Enough stuff to keep ya busy for years.
    When I graduated, it took me a while to figure out what of all the stuff I had learned or the stuff I had in my suitcase ( tons of paper ) I could use to go into the direction I wanted to go.
    So I focussed on some things and continued using them, while others were "shelved", for me to go back and check them out later.
    It depends on your style and the direction youīre heading at.

Those two steps depend: personality, some "uniqueness", confidence and serious goals.

There used to be that cliche that all graduates of the GIT sound the same. I dunno who started that, but itīs crap, IMHO. Look at the players I mentioned above... Paul Gilbert, Frank Gambale, Jennifer Batten, Scott Henderson, Joy Basu, Mike Campese...

I donīt think they sound the same. They all have a good guitar technique and theory knowledge, but they use it in different ways.

I dunno, I guess it depends on the level youīre on IN YOUR MIND, how serious you are about playing and your music, and it also depends on your goals. For some players, the GIT might be the wrong place, cuz they might feel like the dude who posted that post on the JP-Forum.
    FOr others, people who know what they want and need the resources ( good teachers, guys to jam with, INFORMATION ), it might be the place to help them spread their wings...

Blah Blah
    Eric

Originally posted by metallibeast
    I talked to a couple to them, most of them didn't really have a goal in mind. They are like studying for the sake of studying.

-Beast
    Exactly. The "I just attend GIT. Once Iīm there, it all is taken care of" attitude. As if just the fact you WENT there was enough. The real work just starts there.
    Good point =)
    Eric

Originally posted by metallibeast
    I'm currently studying in a music college in Malaysia
    Interesting. What's the name of this college?

Guni

Re: Interesting Topic on Petrucci's Site

Originally posted by EricV
    So did that change your opinion ?
    Eric
    No, I still Want to attend a music school for sure. I love playing music/guitar...I would do it all day if I could.

International College of Music

Its actually part of the Berklee network. Its the best contemporary music college in Malaysia, there are quite a lot of classical and ethnic base college as well.

-Beast

First off, I am newly registered to this site and IMHO it is the best of the web.
    I read the post (link) at the start of this thread and I had a very similar experience at "art school". Right out of high school I was "accepted" to an art school that focused on comics. I was very flattered. With reserved and limited parental support I moved from the west coast to the east coast. What a learning experience! I learned to hate drawing. It seems that I had to labor and struggle while a select few others with natural talent were able to produce volumes of beautiful artwork. I came to the realization that I had no desire to try and compete with those who appeared to be gifted. I thought I loved doing what I now detested. I guess it was a lesson I needed to learn, but I have a certain amount of resentment that I was " accepted" on the basis of my pathetic portfolio in the first place. There were many others in my situation and I now believe that everyone who came up with the tuition was "accepted" to that school.
    About the same time, I began playing guitar and vowed that if it became miserable I would back off. Thankfully (25 years later) it remains my most joyous activity. I am addicted to improving as a guitarist and I play for the love of music.
    Unfortunately my love and enthusiasm for music seems to have spawned a total aversion for my regular job. If only I could find a way to support myself doing what I love.
    I vow to keep future posts less wordy, just a little ranting going on.
    Jack F.

My favored gear: Parker fly deluxe with a roland synth pickup
    Roland VGA-7