Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The guitar: A musical compromise?

@phantom:

Yeah, you are proabably right. I haven't been listening enough to the pioneers jazzguitar. I hope you aren't correct about "breath"-instrument being closer to my heart though, that would mean I have to start learning one pretty soon! :O I wouldn't mind though, although I'm sure my neighbours would

@AshC:

*drool* man.. that is nice... only 10K GBP eh? A penny for such a beauty!

@rmuscat
    Thanks for the advice as well. Yeah I'm a bit famliliar with Allan Holdsworth, but not that other name. I'll check it out.
    Last edited by Factor; 05-03-2005 at 01:33 PM.

Factor,

I had the will to try an breathe-instrument (that's not an official name, is it ) as well.
    The problem is, it is so damn loud and i sounded like an dying duck.. i couldn't molest my neighbours with it.
    If i wasn't afraid of attracting wild animals i would go and practice in the woods.

Look at this if you want an affordable sax-like erm...thing.
    http://www.xaphoon.com/

thumbs up.

That Gibson is sex on toast.

Don't feel that way about pianos and wind instruments...they all look the same don't they?

Yep, I have to stay away from that shop at lunchtimes..

That Gibson sure is nice. Now if it wouldn´t have that wang bar... never liked those at all ( and YES, I am aware that they´re not supposed to be used for dive bombs and stuff like that ).
    I once owned a vintage 335, and man, what a wonderful instrument that was...
    Eric

PS: Now I feel like listening to Larry Carlton again, I wonder why... =)

Factor, I also have recently gotten kind of bummed with the guitar. I think we're in the same boat because I really dig piano, sax, and trumpet. The guitar just really doesn't do it for me with jazz soloing. I've listened to a lot of jazz guitar and it just doesn't sound as pleasing as a sax wailing. The sax has that amazing sustain... holding one high note out makes me crap my pants. Plus in all of the jazz I enjoy, the guitar just isn't necessary. The piano player, Bill Evans is awesome by the way, can easily cover the guitar part and solo simultaneously.

I don't know. I've also been listening to a lot of Brad Mehldau and it just really makes me want to stop the guitar. In my opinion it just isn't a good jazz instrument.

Also, to me, Allan Holdsworth sounds like a guy trying to sound like a saxophone. Not to say that the guy isn't amazing. I'd just rather listen to a saxophone play it.

But rock is another thing.

And Ben Folds rocks the piano... jumping on it and going crazy.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    That Gibbo,Can I have it for Christmas, Oh go on, please???

OK.

I'll get Jo Guest to deliver it on her magical christmas sleigh

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Thanks DAD!!!

Post count makes me only half a Devil!!!

Seany
    For Guitar: Pinch Harmonics

Pinch Harmonics Bent
    Pinch Harmonics With Vibrato
    Natural Harmonics And Whammy Bar (Whhhhhhshhooough [Thats actually How it sounds])

Like Eric Said, Bends , Vibrato etc. A Player With Some Distortion Playing some bluesy phrase with some Palm Muting (Fairly Unique To Guitar) Legato, Picking (Dynamics) Mean Pinchs and some soulful bends and vibrato, tell me how a Piano/Flute/anything even come close to that.

I love Piano and when I heard my friend playing some beautiful melodies and chords that sounded lovely (especially because two hands) in real made me wanna switch instrument, but id miss guitar too much, n e way its so versatile look at Satch using chordal tapping to create a melody over chords (Day at the beach). And which other instrument offers the versatility of a guitar; you can sweep pick, alternate pick advanced multifinger tapping, harmonics, legato hybrid picking the list goes on.

When you listen to a song like, 'the whole world is gonna know' (Mr Big [Just happened to be listening to that recently]) the intro with the slides, dynamics etc. has so much more feel than other instruments can create.

... And agreeing with what Phantom said, a guitar is much cooler than everyother instrument in existance!

Just my opinion, Sean

Ha... I don't know about the guitar being a cool instrument anymore... when you say you play guitar or people see a person carrying a guitar (particularly acoustic) the first thing that comes in their mind is "douche bag".

By the way, I think Factor was referring to jazz and not rock. So far all of these guitar-is-the-best comments have to do with rock.

Factor, to quote a former US president, (who, incidentally plays sax),

"I feel your pain"!

I get depressed at times when I hear how much expression can be put into a horn solo, especially a sax. And to make matters worse, about 10 years ago, I bought a beat-up old alto sax and started playing but had to make a choice because I didn't have time to keep up chops on both. I stuck with guitar because of all the time already invested. I sold the sax, BTW, for a handsome profit.

One of the first tunes I learned was Coltrane's Naima - the head is pretty easy and slow and I used to play it over and over, never tiring of it. It felt like it was coming directly from me, there was such connection! Evedry note has such a complexity of sound, so rich....(wipes away tears and sniffs....)

But...I'm OK now....really....no really...

[QUOTE=snufeldin]Ha... I don't know about the guitar being a cool instrument anymore... when you say you play guitar or people see a person carrying a guitar (particularly acoustic) the first thing that comes in their mind is "douche bag".QUOTE]

Really? ****e, I thought the girl clocking me the other day was thinking, "Wow, that guy is wayyyy cool"

I see your point though...although I'm trying to think what goes through my mind when I see a dude carrying a sax case.

Now a dudette, thats a different kettle of fish.

Seany
    Well, i guess your right, i didnt realise the subject was about jazz primarily, but i guess that IMO, if all your really interested in is jazz playing and you really prefer other instruments in Jazz then nobody shud persuade u against it, you should cut your losses of time spent on guitar and take up piano. i only have heard a v.small amount of jazz, but George Benson's tone, style and the little sounds a guitar makes (in rhythm with dead notes, varied strumming etc.) its still a great and unique instrument.

As for guitar being cool, well traditionally instruments have never really been that cool, but most people agree that playing guitar is kinda a cool thing, the whole band thing, playing live music etc. (from Hendrix through to modern indy brit bands like Bloc party, Killers, Libertenes etc.) and as for carrying a guitar around, since when has it ever been cool to carry anything around, is it cool to carry a tennis racket around if your a sporty, a book a round if your read??? of course not, so that point is virtually irrelevant, however IMO i'd rather be carrying a strat around than a Tuba, just my opinion.
    Sean

If you end up being good, it's cool... but where I live there are a bunch of people who say they play guitar and really just blow. I mean, it's one thing to be just starting out, but to be like "I play guitar!!!" and then sit outside of the dorms poorly strumming something really makes you dislike guitar players on a whole. I mean how many times do I have to hear a terrible version of "Your Body is a Wonderland".

Well I assumed that they're carrying it around to go "jam"... but I wasn't cynical enough to think that they were just carrying it around to be cool. Those punks.

But guitar is mighty cool... even those kids sitting out there sucking get the ladies. Saying I'm in a band is enough foreplay for most ladies.