Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Funk

Very interesting topic. I've heard more or less all of the Strictly X contributions, and I'm tempted to say that this piece is your best so far satchmaster. Especially the first half, where you focus on that static funky rhythm. I both like the sound of the guitar and the playing better in the first half. You should have kept the rest of the piece in the same vein, as I've heard the playing in the last part in many other Strictly threads. More of the FUNK!

Maybe I'll give it a try myself soon. I've never contributed to the Strictly 'series', however, I'm very tempted now, especially as I'm also interested in FUNK.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Joe
    Very interesting topic. I've heard more or less all of the Strictly X contributions, and I'm tempted to say that this piece is your best so far satchmaster. Especially the first half, where you focus on that static funky rhythm. I both like the sound of the guitar and the playing better in the first half. You should have kept the rest of the piece in the same vein, as I've heard the playing in the last part in many other Strictly threads. More of the FUNK!

Maybe I'll give it a try myself soon. I've never contributed to the Strictly 'series', however, I'm very tempted now, especially as I'm also interested in FUNK.
    Thanks, and glad to hear your going to contribute Yeah, since it o nly goes for a little over 1 min, there is no real need for a solo, and yeah it does sound like some of my other solos cause thats my playing style i suppose, just concentrate on the rhytms then and forget lead, it doesnt need it anyways.

Im gonna try tonight too since i got more time. Hate to steal ideas but i wanted to use a wah too soon as i heard this track so i will utilize it too ^.^
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

here is my attempt..

My stupid sound card has a slight lag on the sound when recording so it was tough .

I also used auto wah which has a unique sound to say the least.

I had a hard time keeping in time. I can easily sit and play with a metronome all day, but this is different heh.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi everyone.
    This take is a little more composed than the improv take I did on stricly penta. Just playing some things I came up with after a couple of improvs on the take stuck into context (well... tried to ).
    On the last part (right before the end) I break a string while doing a bend, but since I don't have any replacements at the moment I'm just going to submit this one, I mean, it's not exactly a Mozart anyways .
    Again this is recorded with my new vamp toy, still trying to get the sound I want to, this is just a little trebly for my taste.
    I'll post some comments on the other takes soon, I haven't listen to any to avoid getting too influenced.

Greets, Buebo.

EDIT: Just listened to some takes, I'll give the rest a listen later:

@Satch: Cool take, nice rhythm and I really liked the last solo lick you played. Liked the lead tone loads.

@JohnJumper: Wow craaazy wah going on there! Thats some real attitude funkin, I dig that. The tone is sometimes a little sharp on my ears, but hey this is funk and its a matter of taste.

@leppard81: Really liked the rhythm and cool muted licks. THe recording seems to be distorted perhaps your line-in volume was a bit too loud. It still sounds cool but I think with a little fine tuning (I'm talking about recording settings) it can really shine.

@UKRuss: First off, really tight playing as always. Nice outside playing, lots of interesting stuff. Where thinking and playing in scales or was it a fretboard cruise so to speak? Since I don't listen to too much fusion jazzy type kinda guitar playing it occasionaly was a bit hard to follow but liked it.
    Last edited by Buebo; 05-07-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Buebo!! Great funking! lovely ideas and really in a true funk vein. I even had a bit of hendrix float trhough my mind at one stage, kinda a tone related thing. very nice!

Re: mine. I don't really know is the answer. I think I was thinking mainly pentatonic and then found slipping things up a semitone sounded OK in places so I stuck with that idea really.

that part at 1:10 sounds nice Buebo. I really wish I had used distortion, everyone's playing has such flawless dynamics.

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa091701d.htm

-theres a cool little website, maybe that'll help the rhythm for people. I personally like the Temptations - Shakey Ground example, nice groove there. Lets get those grooves going, difference between a groove and a solo is that you can't really punch in on a groove.... gotta do it in one go or else the flow will be broken.

One thing I noticed is there isn't a lot of rhythmic pulse, theres seems to be a lot more focus on timing rather than on groove/pulse. Timing will just happen if your grooving with a flow; which has a lot to do with dynamics and feel IMO, but distortion does take away from being able to feel that pulse/groove (for me anyway). Like Leoappard's take though, definete pulse there even tho theres distortion.
    Last edited by Mateo150; 05-07-2005 at 05:51 PM.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

I had a quick go at making something that would sound like a bunch of 70's guys in outrageous costumes. For the chording I used JB approved dom9 chords (E9 and A9). The lead is all Em, but I repeat some ideas using both Bm and Em penta shapes (it's all still Em) but it gives a E dorian hint even though I don't hit the M6. . . The lead part stinks by the way. Oh yes and for that 70's thing I put a cheesy synth on it too..

@Buebo: Awesome take! Your timing´s great, really! Lately my recording prog (audacity) doesnt seem to work right, as with every new track I´d record over the backing there´s more and more dist. on the actual file......Dont know why though....

@Mateo: Glad you enjoyed my take! But i only used a phaser; no distortion..... Totally agree on the "pulse"-thing though. Maybe it would do to just "kill" the first beat and go crazy over the rest of the bar..... ;-)

ALEX
    We get the dreams that we deserve.... - Marillion

Hidden Content

Muchos gracias for all the replies and kind words!
    I'll look into that site mateo thanks. I can see where your coming from regarding groove, I will keep it in mind.
    I'll check out the ones I haven't commented on tomorrow no sound here .

nice stuff ashn , liked your take the best . nice funky rhytms. Nice interesting funk rhythms on Buebos take aswell, it sounds a bit of out tune in one part but im not really sure why.

Quote satch: nice stuff ashn , liked your take the best . nice funky rhytms.

Thanks! too kind.

I just got round to listening to all the takes. Nice to hear lots of different rhythm things going on rather than lead things and also a really wide range of ideas. Some nice grooves. Bring on da Rhythm

FABULOUS!!!!

Excellent article and really inspiring followups. I'm in the midst of packing the house to move, but I may have to un-pack just enough to give this groove a whirl. Otherwise it'll be three weeks before I can give it a shot.

Keep those grooves coming, bro!
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    Hidden Content

"...embrace your fear..."

Nice thread! I wish I had something to record myself. Anyone want me to send them a tape with a minute and a half recording by snail mail?

There's been some great takes, everyone should keep the funk coming!

Registered Crutmauler
    Something really got funky in this place since I've last been here. And I like it. Cool Bass line Satch. A little fast for me to keep up with since I really haven't had the time or inspiration to jam very much lately, but I just had to join in on this one. that groove made me dig my 94 squire tele out of the closet and plug it into my soundcard.

too bad the battery in my crybaby was dead, my amp blows a circuit and leaves a blacik mark on the wall everytime I plug it in, and my distortion box is MIA.

That old tele and A jumpin bass line is enough to make me want to funk anyways. It's been a long time since I've gotten funked up. I jammed along for awhile and was having so much fun that I decided a bit throw down a couple tracks on this one. Hell, my neighbors were outside dancin' to this.

Great jammin' everyone, and thanks for starting this cool thread Satch