Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Melody

Listened to your take rmuscat!

I kinda agree with you on the pedal tone thing there. You have some great moments in that take though. Around 01:10 to about 01:30. That's just beautiful. It seems so familiar, and it fits the changes pretty well too It really feels as if the melody flows free with no "licks" if you know what I mean.

@satch_master
    Hehe calling me a jazz cat? Thanks for the compliment but I mostly got stuff in my head. Not too good at getting it into my playing. I try though! Strickly jazz would be something...

Loads to listen to and assimilate when I get home this evening.

I'm really pleased everyone is using different scales, thats' what it's about, what worked for you and why.

Thanks for the analysis Schooligo, spot on I think.

Thats also an interesting point from Mateo, although I know I was going to use the Phryg Dom in the first section, I did really improvise at first over the B section and then analysed it later. Clearly this piece was written and not improvised though and that makes it easier to analyse, change, re record etc.

I'm working on a second pentatonic strictly thread based on Chris Js article about new uses for minor pentatonic. The examples he gives are ii V i, and I suspect I shall follow that lead. So there we have it a ii V i and an opportunity for some jazz too! Not my strong point at all, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Rmuscat - i highly enjoyed that, your playing has sounded really good lately, i noticed apart from the fast shred stuff(you done in the past) you are a good guitarist and you got nice melodies and lines, my ears thoroughly enjoyed that! better than mine, thats for sure.

thanks factor! too kind!

satch thanks for your complements (too much maybe? lol)

my "shred" (for want of better words) needs a whole lot of work. But in the meantime i make sure i don't cut back on the rest. I keep hoping that one day, if i keep pushing myself and applying all techniques i'll be able to play fast stuff decently. But i'm not sacrificing the rest for it.

Making melodies is a freakin PAIN. You spend a whole day with no idea what to do, wake up one morning BANG first take! so darn frustrating.

I'll post the tabs and check the rest this eve, i'm on practice break . The pedal point i stole from satch (the real one ) unless you know them you'll find them fun i guess. nothing complex really. i like them a bunch.

I already told russ i loved his take, well structured, good improvisational moments, perfect for me. I'll check the rest ... i'm sure there's good stuff though! I do it to steal ideas lol
    Last edited by rmuscat; 05-03-2005 at 11:18 AM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Wow, one take first thing in the morning with no warmup and its improvised... thats impressive Rob, steal the show with your pedal points from hell.

Really, it sounded very composed and nice. I had a pretty good idea of what I was gonna play before I played it, I mean, play an F arp over F... stuff like that. I need to get myself some effects too, whatever you were using sounded great.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

thanks mateo!

here's the pedal tone guys. Its over the E Phrygian Dominant scale of course. The pedal note is the E.

What makes it sound cool is that when descending the playing intervals are ascending, and viceversa when going up.

I'll fight a bit with the main melody (my rhythmic transcribing sucks) and hopefully post it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rmuscat; 05-03-2005 at 01:46 PM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Nice one rmuscat! Looking forward to the transcription! I really like the pedal tone sections...

Mateo, some lovely ideas going on there. i really liked that. Dont worry about the effects i thoght the tone was very tasteful, sounded great!

Bobby, top stuff. I loved that pedal tone lick too. I shall steal!

nice one!

Spanish Juju

Here's my take on this. Harmonic Minor is my favorite scale but I always take the opportunity to throw in as much Diminished licks as I can Squeeze in. (My trade mark I guese) The Descending Chord part sounds kinda corny. Just kinda following the chords. Have fun!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Nice take Rudy!!!! I like that indeed!!

It's got a very BV Social Club vibe!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattblack850
    Nice take Rudy!!!! I like that indeed!!

It's got a very BV Social Club vibe!!
    Thanks, the fact that you mentionsed BVSC, tells me that you are in tune to Quality music.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Lovely Rudy!

I dig those dim licks!

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Boleros
    Thanks, the fact that you mentionsed BVSC, tells me that you are in tune to Quality music.

*Fonzie type* Hhhhheeeeeeeeyyyyyyy!!!
    Do you know Radio Mundial, I think they're from round the 'Frisco area??

Altough I have yet to post in a strickly thread I have been watching them pretty closley, and was wondering, clive if your reading this, could we move some of the old strickly's into this forum, I mean they have a great deal of instructional power on theory and things. It would be great if this was possible. Also, if I can ever figure out this theory buisness I will start doing these things, Because limitations really do bring out creativity!

-Ryan

PS: sorry if this has been suggested.

good idea carvinate. why dont u post clive a private message.