Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Francesco Fareri - Speed Kills or Speed Overkills?

Francesco Fareri - Speed Kills or Speed Overkills?

Hey guys,

I was just wonderin what all you guys feel about full on shred guitar and, mainly, francesco fareri. Ive got most of his instructional vid's an ive downloaded almost all of his songs and i was wondering what you guys think of his style of playing? He's got to the point where he's so ripping the songs kinda loose their melody and while what he does is damn cool to watch i was wonderin how important everyone out there considers playing speed to be? So just to some up what id like to know, who dya think is the better guitarist - Fareri or Clapton?

Thanks for reading guys

Rob

P.s if anyone doesnt know fareri go on www.francescofareri.com (go on on lessons and download his samples theyre ace!)
    There's one thing you should know about Francesco Fareri... He can play faster than Michael Angelo!

To each his own.

But for me personally, when I hear Fareri I think fast, when I hear Clapton I think good.

I wonder what Fareri would sound like if he took off the nasty distortion... I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

I like to watch Fareri for the shear enjoyment of practicing my chops...that's about it. I haven't heard him play any melodic stuff, he may have some, but I haven't heard it. I imagine he's an aquired taste much like Meshuggah...lol.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Hi Rob,

Fareri sure does have killer chops! The melody vs. speed/technique debate has been going on for sometime. I think that compromise would not be a dirty word in this instance. Surely the point in reaching such technical mastery over an instrument is to be able to express yourself better? I know in some people's cases, melody is not high on their list of priorities. However, if you listen to Clapton, Beck and Vai their guitars really do "sing".
    So, should chops hinder your melodic development? I wouldn't say so. I think if you do souly focus on chops you may stunt musical growth. However, if you didnt have the ability how can you express youself to your full potential? Its a bit like the chicken and the egg... Perhaps Fareri is doing what he loves best and at the end of the day is that all that matters? I don't think that speed and melody should be kept at distances, they should be developed equally.
    You should always be true to yourself but, if you neglect one of these aspects then ultimately you can never reach your full potential, not as a guitarist but as a musician. One name that springs to mind on the subject of blending melody and speed is Rusty Cooley, a perfect example to balance speed and melody.
    As i say, its all personal. Make the music you want to make. Never feel hindered or swayed and stay true to yourself as I am sure all of the greats throughout history have.

Oggy

Lol yeah i think youre all right guys, you should play whatever you will get the most out of and in the majority of cases i guess its a balance of both. I also think that a large proportion of your enjoyment of playing music is the good reception you get from your audience when you do well so i also think on some levels its important to play for others an not just for yourself. You guys think shred is dead from the popular music scene or dya think its ready for a come back?
    There's one thing you should know about Francesco Fareri... He can play faster than Michael Angelo!

Rob

I dont think it ever went away! Just underground. Right now youve got a global audience due to internet etc. so if people wanted to hear it, they could go find it.
    i think guitarists are certainly trying to be more technical these days. Youve got BLS, Bodom, Shadows Fall and i guess John 5 making it more appealing to a a new age group. G3 are playin arenas. Power metal bands like dragonforce are pretty rippin, check out Herman Li's solo on his old band demoniac's song daggers and ice .
    Im sure some new bands will make shred trendy again.

Oggy

Fareri can really smoke up the fretboard, that's for sure. I do like some of the things he does, but I don't care for his tone and find his vibrato lacking. I am pretty sure he uses Dunlop "Stubby" picks, which are made of acrylic that could at least partially account for his somewhat harsh tone. I have to commend him for all the hard work he has put in to become so accomplished at what he does.

I love shred, dont get me wrong but theres a line thats drawn. This guy shred constantly and im pretty sure thats taken alot of hard work to get that good but Yngwie and Vai dont only shred as fast or faster but they dont do it constantly (well yngwie has a tendency to shred overly but he still keeps it melodic). They play melodicly too. I'v heard solos that amaze you cause of the speed but melodically dont invoke any emotions. Vai however can work a song up to the point from where it was a barebone melody and add twists and turns to spice it up until going full blown on this beautiful shred thats melodic and speed to match and slowly works back down almost like a movie or a story. I think thats what sparks most people and thats the way to create beautiful music. I do wish i could shred and connect arps like he does but only with less distortion. I use to use alot of distortion but im slowly turning it down and down as i progress cause with enough distortion you can get pretty much anything to sound good. Pretty happy right now cause my gain knob is only maby 1/4 up if not a tad above.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 04-21-2005 at 02:57 AM.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

Hello Rob965,

welcome to ibreathe!

i strongly suggest to take a look at the iBreathe rules & guidelines.

We don't really support discussions like "speed vs. feeling", or "who is the better guitarist", since they:
    - go nowhere
    - have no educational purpose
    - can turn into flame wars

there are enough places where those issues are discussed, so please forgive me for closing this thread.