Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slonimsky's 'Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns'

Another great book if your interested in getting into the whole atonal, dodecaphonic, serialism thing is George Perle's "Serial Composition and Atonality: An Introduction to the Music of Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern". I think it's quite an interesting read. It's basically an analysis into the classical world of "outside" playing. I also recommend picking up some Schoenberg songs. My favorite is "Verklarte Nacht". He has another one called "The Sick Moon" (I can't quite rememer what it translates to in German) but it has an operatic female voice doing these atonal things and its definitely something different.

On a similar note I'm going to be taking a class here that focuses on atonal music in the begining of the 20th century, so hopefully after this class is over with I can be a little more helpful when discussing these things...lol.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Quote Originally Posted by oRg
    "The Sick Moon" (I can't quite rememer what it translates to in German)
    Das krank Mond, I believe.

Thanks for the advice and info all

Just my two cents on the melodic pattern dictionary thingy Before you get into that, try mathematical possibilities, like Eric's melodic patterns in his practice articles, go up 4 notes and come back 2 etc. Once you get those down, practice your intervals through scale patterns (I still haven't gotten around doing all of them but I'm fairly proficient with diatonic 2nds () 3rds 4ths and 5ths (still working on 6ths and 7ths) once you get THOSE down, start working on three note motives using all possible intervallic combinations (I actually read that exact same thing in a "Guitarist Guide to Improvising and Composing" by Jon Damian, I think he calls those motives seeds) Once you're done with those, and assuming that you know Major and Minor scales inside out as well as all 4 type of arpeggios if you're still hungry for more (I'm already full just thinking about it ) you can get something like that.

It WOULD be a good sight reading excercise but so would William Leavit's Melodic Rhythms for Guitar or Advanced reading Studies (which REALLY make you work it).

As you can tell I am not very fond of dictionary, compendius or the Grimoure type thing they just don't work for ME (they might work for you though).

My two cents.

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"