Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Neoclassic

Great work Ash!

Tasty Synth chown and some nicely worked geetar ideas.

Satch and Ash!

I believe....and I'm ready to be proved wrong but certainly in recent months...I believe you are the first two players to collaborate in a "deathmatch" type tune of soloing!

The first IBreathe Strickly collaboration!

Congrats guys!

Awesome work Satch and thanks for the explanation of what you were up to, i think it's important we remember we have to share and learn something from each other to protect the rules and spirit of IBreathe

Malmsteen would be proud of you man, nicely executed licks. You are a different lpayer to the one who first posted on a strickly all those months ago!

Thanks folks! And nice working with you Satch!

Before I get into this kind of thing again I need to cut back on the blues/rock/funk stuff and get up to speed on this tapping/sweeping nonsense and get to work on that great arps section tab from Sven

With the synth I just followed the chord tones and added a few passing notes - if I could do that on the guitar then...

Great ashc,

i grabbed the file and will see what i can do to it .

For the single synth tracks, feel free to send them to my e-mail adress.
    You can mp3 them as well if tooooo big.

Sven-Phantom-Yoda-dude,!

OK, see how it goes...

I don't have the .wav files here today (not on the magic memorystick). The home connection is too slow for 2 x 3MB (zipped) .wavs so I think I should send you MP3's of those. I might be able to do that before I disappear for the weekend..

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    before I disappear for the weekend..
    Wow, you do magic as well?????

LMAO ... i go put my hand in ice now i had to cut down on speedy attempts ... the tendon pains are moving from day to day now lol.

Messed up in some parts. timing is crap!

edit: i hate sweeping ... i love the sound and arps when its used perfectly but it took me 1.5 years to nail the basic movement getting it up to speed and making good musical use of is turning into nightmare... well guess i'll have to practice for a few more years bah...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rmuscat; 04-22-2005 at 03:53 PM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Since I am blessed with glorious ignorance concerning technique & timing, my comment might not be of much use...

At least, I've got these functional ears...
    So: The first half was really cool! And in the second it's a shame that you stopped at ... well, the point you stopped - you should have gone on for another twenty secs or so. It just got interesting.

I like your overall sound.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Nice one Bobby!!!

Nice tone, phrasing and note choice!!
    I liked this a lot!!

Oh thanks for all the kind words guys. Ive came to realise that my passion is for metal/shred and i just wanna concentrate especially on this style of music and technique. I enjoy blues, some jazz, and classic rock but i want to concentrate on good, metal shred and not just wankerish "look how fast i can play type" shred, music and melody has to come first. My aim is to develop my shred technique, ie, tapping, sweeps, fast alternate picking, vibrato and bends, and make interesting phrases and lines like thorsten. How can i not solo good? lol, i mean when the backing is that DAMN GOOD, its almost impossible not to sound good. Yeah , if everyone could explain what there doing it would be benefitial for al of us, something i want to do more often. All the takes so far have been excellent. There is alot of tips on that YJM young guitar video or whatever that you could fit into this solo, ive heard alot of them used here already and i used some myself.

Talking

Hey, I registered a while back, but this is my first post! I caught this thread and couldn't pass it up.

My take on 'neoclassical' is far different than that of most. I have a few mp3's of things I've written in MIDI. Warning: there's no guitar in any of this.

Canon: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000027190.mp3

Rondo: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000022401.mp3

Minuet & Trio: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000022400.mp3

Variation on a Bach prelude: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000023747.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by rmuscat
    LMAO ... i go put my hand in ice now i had to cut down on speedy attempts ... the tendon pains are moving from day to day now lol.

Messed up in some parts. timing is crap!

edit: i hate sweeping ... i love the sound and arps when its used perfectly but it took me 1.5 years to nail the basic movement getting it up to speed and making good musical use of is turning into nightmare... well guess i'll have to practice for a few more years bah...
    lol, watch youself rob, you dont wanna hurt yourself, sounds like you are practising your shred licks too hard!

I liked your solo, some nice licks and very melodic.
    Just watch your fast runs, bit mediocre.
    And dont worry about trying to sound like malmsteen, you truly got your own unique voice, I mean sure you could improve your technique, but its all good.
    I wouldnt mind sounding like malmsteen myself, but not all the time lol. I think that would tick all my friends and family off.

I liked your take Bobbydude. Your always putting thought into how your going to weave a melody and utilise arps to come up wth something different

@kadse
    Thanks for your kind words! Of course at some point i was kind of loosing myself. It always happens to me, question of experience i guess. But i'm glad you liked it ... its means a lot after hearing thorsten and sven lol
    As for the short take ... well i stuck to the backing, maybe its better like that at some points my fingers where shouting against me to stop lol

@satch
    yeah my fast stuff is a bit mediocre but thats the stuff i'm relatively sure about so i stuck with that. Thats the cleanest stuff i could rip at that speed. I tried some cool pedal points at some points but i just couldn't keep up ... time to get hybrid picking seriously in the mix (or practice)

MattBlack & Russ thanks for your words of course. Russ we are pure lunatics posting after those previous wicked takes... We'll delete the posts when everyone forgets about the thread lol.

AshC i loved your synth takes i got shivers down my spine listening! honestly! Cool use of those bends too! I should give a couple of shots by transcribing your synth stuff on guitar should be cool.

ChrisRTB i guess i "know" you do i? My etude supplier lol. Your midi stuff is great compositionally. It would be really cool to have some thread started about this stuff, maybe some tips on classical composition, analysis of these pieces etc. Also, thinking about it, it would be cool to have a strickly compose etude thread!
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Whoa!! I was a bit late and there were like 3-4 pages going on. Screw the internet service at my area. I haven't got it for like 2 and a half days!! Thanks god, the prob was fixed now.

Nice take everybody. I really like it especially the one from Thorsten!! *jaw dropped*..
    @Ashc, nice take on synth+guitar. Really cool sound.
    @Rob, nice phrasing, melodies. Keep it up!
    @Satch, very nice intro at the Satch_synthmelodic. Pretty similar to RR solos in Mr Crowley.
    @phantom, thanks for the tab. I really dig the stuff.

I thought it would be cool to make some keyboards/synth solo battle with guitar solo. The stuff like Janne Warmen and Alexi Laiho (children of bodom) , Jens Johnson and TimoiTolkki (stratovarius) made. That would be awesome.

Anyway, I'd just sit, watch and listen lol , since I don't have distortion pedal. And the small amp's distortion don't sounds *distort* though. But I'm happy to listen and learn some new licks/melodies from you guys. Keep it coming!
    The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing

Hi again!

So here's my take for this cool backing. The only thing that made me angry that sweep picking and pedal tone are things that are often used in neoclassical shred, but these two techniques rrreally beat me. (Actually one of my friends who's a big shredder told me that learning sweep picking was way easy for him) well, I can't manage to sweep pick an arpeggio accurately even at 100bpm!!! I just don't feel it maybe?

So my take lacks sweeping and pedal tones, and it's really what my playing is usually like - many notes, but no sense in it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Can you spell T-E-N-D-O-N-I-T-I-S?