Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Hirajoshi

Strictly Hirajoshi

Since I liked Russī "Strictly..."-threads so much, I wanted to keep his idea going. Yes, weīve been through all the modes ( sans locrian... now wouldnīt THAT be fun ?!? ), I figured that we still could keep this thing going, since there are many more interesting scales.
    Maybe creating "Strictly"-threads on those might help some to get into using those scales... after all, it can be quite an interesting experience to try playing on a scale you havenīt tried before.
    So, to keep the ball rollinī, I picked one of my favorite scales... the Hirajoshi scale. Jorge mentioned it in one of his articles, and I have talked about it before. And if you have listened to Jason Becker or Marty Friedman ( or both of them, in Cacophony ), you most likely have heard them use it quite a bit.

So I harmonized the scale and got some very cool chords ( quite mysterious-sounding ). I simpyl stacked the "thirds" ( this scale is actually a pentatonic, so I got some quite unusual harmonies out of it... )

Here is the scale, in E:
    E-F#-G-B-C-E
    Youīll prolly notice that this is very similar to the E minor scale / E min pentatonic. Basically, itīs an Emin-scale minus D and B... so after all, Hirajoshi isnīt quite that strange... prolly a good first scale to explore after going through the modes.
    I programmed a jam-track for it, which has 2 different chord progressions. Itīs not the most creative piece of music, but then again, I think that wasnīt the intention of the strictly-threads anyway.
    So without further ado, hereīs the jamītrack for you to jam on ( donīt be afraid, give it a try, itīs fun ). And also, thereīs my first take:
    http://www.ericvandenberg.net/sounds/hira-ev.mp3

I did two takes, one with the main ( distorted ) lead guitar, the other with a clean sound, adding little fills. As usual, the lead guitar was a first take. I noticed afterwards that some of the lower notes are a tidbit sharp, I guess I need to fix the intonation of the guitar.
    But anyway, looking forward to hear your takes on it
    Eric

PS: For some fun, try emulating a Koto-Sound, the Friedman-way: Right after you pick the note, add a very quick small bend ( about a half-step ). Release it again immediately... it has to be quick. With a clean sound, you can get that japanese-type sound.
    Attached Files Attached Files

An interesting scale choice... I'll have to give it a go when I get time to record...

...and thanks for spelling "strictly" correct.

Cool Solo Eric. There were times where I thought maybe it needed to venture into harmonic minor but you did a nice job of keeping it stricktly.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Well, I did borrow the occasional D and A from the natural minor scale, but other than that, I tried to stick to the scale, simply because I was disqualified for using the F# in the "strickly pentatonic" thread =)
    Thanks a lot, man
    Eric

wow THIS is gonna be hard ....

awesome take Eric!!! loved it!!
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Thanks a bunch, Robert, glad you liked it.
    But man, it does not need to be hard. I mean, I was hoping people would enjoy trying to play over this one... I mean, you donīt have to shred all over the fretboard. Why not just limit yourself to a small segment of the fretboard and try to play some slower stuff... I think itīs gonna be fun.
    The interesting thing is that, as I mentioned before, the scale can be interpreted basically as a minor scale minus 2 notes. So itīs not gonna sound all THAT weird, but it might be interesting to see what kind of melodies and runs you get out of this scale. If you stick to just the scale notes, it can be a good lesson to see how many different sounds you can get out of the regular minor scale if you try to leave some notes out.
    Anyway, looking forward to hear you and the others play on it !
    Eric

I donīt know whether thisīll be useful, but I figured maybe I should try to show you how I think pattern-wise when I play on a scale like Hirajoshi.
    Check the ptb in this post ( or the pdf if you use a Mac )
    First, there are the chords I got out of the scale, the chords that are used in the backing track ( talk about chords made up from stacking fourths, huh =) )
    Next, there is a small pattern of the scale.
    I then take this small pattern and just repeat it once I reach the next E. So you basically just have to remember that little pattern, and visualize it from any E you wanna start from.
    Hope this helps
    Eric

thanks a lot for taking time to write down that stuff!!

I sat down and worked out the scaled on the fretboard and thats basically how i'm looking at it too, "find the root and work from there".

cool chords too!!
    thanks again

Cool! A five note scale with 2 semitone steps in it! Can't resist doing a bad solo over this...

In addition to Eric's info I printed a fretboard diagram from "looknohands" (it's Friday!) and the E hirajoshi has a nice "shape" between the 7th and 12th frets (my personal favourite part of the neck) with some nice stretch options on the top two strings.

By the way, I think Russ was actually going to do a "Strickly Locrian"??

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Nice one Eric, and thanks for all the info!!!
    Love the sound of that scale!
    I will definately be giving this one a go, I'll deliver it along with my Lyd, Mixo and Aeol/mixo/harm (hopefully have everything done this weekend!) ones to Russ, and hopefully take advantage of his 'fine upstanding upload services' again!!!

here it is ... 2nd take in opposition to usual. was fun, turned out less painful than i thought. Maybe coz its noon not 4am lol.

well basically i tried to stick to the scale, i didn't leave much breathing space, thats a minus ... i took it as a learn the hirajoshi scale than do a structured solo, so things may sound like a bunch of licks stuck together. Apologese for that.

A couple of out notes escaped me at some points or mistakes like dreaded dead notes, lol sorry about that. Also, solo gets quit boring after a while.

Thanks eric this was instructive, i learned the hirajoshi scale today. Go figure, yesterday i actually decided to nail down some new scales today.

Well any advice are welcome!

questions, what do you use for your backing tracks? I know russ uses a drum machine then places guitar over them digitally. Trying to gather info together and see whats a good piece of equip to get hands on.
    Last edited by rmuscat; 04-15-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    YYYYAAAAAAAYYYY Bobby!!!!!!
    Very nice, it's very similar to the way I was imagining using it after hearing Erics take!!! Great stuff!!!!

Robert, listening to your take right now, and I like it a lot ! Great job on it. I especially like that little melody at about 0:35-0:38, that interval skip sounds great, kinda dramatic.
    I also like the use of dynamics here... you start out kinda careful, and then emphasize certain notes, which makes them stand out more.
    The part between 1:50 and 2:00 is really nice, too... kinda building tension. Even though itīs an improvisation, you put some sequences or themes in there, and that I really dig.
    Ainīt it cool that you created this so short after learning the scale itself ?
    Good job, man !
    Eric

Cool definately will try something out over this backing.

Some arpeggio ideas:

E G B -> Em
    F# B E G C -> F# B C E G -> F#7sus4(b5,b9)
    G C F# B E -> G B F# C E -> Gmaj7(11,13)
    B E G C F# -> B E F# C G -> Bsus4(b9, b13)
    C F# B E G -> C E G B F# -> Cmaj7(#11)

...and regarding the creation of the backing track, I of course used my trusty old Yamaha QY 300 hardware sequencer for it, as always. I was having technical problems though, there is somethign wrong with it, it seems. ( No wonder, considering how much I used it )... it kept skipping bars, or randomly jumping around when playing back the song.
    So it took me 8 takes to get the backing track onto the PC... and one take to do the lead guitar ( I am skipping less... =) )
    Anyway, I just threw that track together in about 10 minutes, using a Koto sound and some synth-pad-sound. I know the drums donīt sound a lot like ancient japanese music, but I wanted them in there to keep the beat going.
    Eric