Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Minor (Aeolian/harmonic/whatever)

You've got a point there Eric, cool riffage from the pair of them. I just loved "Girls, girls, girls."

OH! I never knew Steve Stevens was on the album with Vince Neil, I shall have to track that down.

Of course, as he shares his cool surname with me he is one of my favourites ...no relation I'm afraid. Shame.

If you like a bit of CCR, then check out Hanoi Rocks version of Going up Around the Bend. Rock!!!

Neil, don't forget "Quire Boys" and "Cinderella"

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    I saw the Crue at Wembley and i have to say it was a defining moment for me, because it was the one time i actually saw a guitarist do a solo spot and think, "Christ, i can play better than him!!! This is so unfair"
    The first time I saw them was on the 'Theatre of Pain' tour, that's when Tommy did the now infamous 'drumming in a cage that turns upside-down' trick!!!
    I do think that Mick was a slightly under-rated player, as Eric pointed out, not the quickest or most technical, but, what a riffer!!!
    Last edited by mattblack850; 04-11-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Yeah, Russ, we used to hang out with the Quireboys and the Dogs, used to be a little boozer in Hampton, jammed acoustically with the Dogs in there a few times!!

How could I forget Cinderella!!!
    Remember Halloween??
    Last edited by mattblack850; 04-11-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Forgotten memories!!

Matt... "Dogs..." Are you talking about the Dogs DīAmour ?!?
    The Tommy Lee-drum flip-over... that was neat. I think thatīs where the guy from Slipknot picked it up. I recently saw a Slipknot-show on TV, and I noticed he was wearing seat-belts... during the drum-solo, he was pulled up and did a 360... reminded me of Tommy L.

Russ... might be tough to find that album by Vince Neil. I bought it the day it came out, but I have never seen it in stores again ( no mega-seller, though one of the songs was part of a soundtrack )... oh wait, I DID see it at a used-CD-store once.Itīs worth the effort of finding it, very cool album
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    Matt... "Dogs..." Are you talking about the Dogs DīAmour ?!?
    Eric
    Eric, yeah, they were definately my favourite band from that era, and not just because we knew them!!
    I still think that Tyla is a great poet/songwriter!

I shall scour the shelves Eric!

Met the Quireboys a number of times. A mate of mine was their sound engineer for some time, so we used to hang out. Never got to play with them though...

The Dogs did an acoustic "unplugged "EP didnt they? Did you make it onto that?

I remember a story about Blackie Lawless from WASP, where he had a firework mounted in one of his many 'Codpieces', anyway, the roadie in charge of the pyrotechnics loaded this thing back-to-front one night, the charge was set-off and almost blew Blackies tackle off!!!! 2nd and 3rd degree burns all around his groinal region!!OUCH!!

The Dogs acoustic EP was 'A Graveyard of Empty Bottles', which I still play every now and then, but alas, no, I never got on it, we never had a tape rollin'!!!!

Hey, Russ, I'll keep an eye out for that Vince Neil/ Steve Stevens collaboration,I know quite a few people who deal in CDs, 2nd hand, rare, world etc..
    Ther'es also a couple of shops not too far from me.
    Also there's a place called 'Beano's' in Croydon, and the Notting Hill Reord Exchange,well worth a look if you're ever in the vicinity!
    Last edited by mattblack850; 04-11-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Man, itīs so cool to see them mentioned here at ibreathe... I thought no one here knew them. A friend introduced me to their music back in the mid 90s, and I loved it. "More Unchartered Heights Of Disgrace" is such a cool record. The title-track and "Put It In Her Arms" are awesome... I especially love the piano-intro of the latter.
    Two friends of mine and me were jamming on some of their songs back then, like "Errol Flynn". We used to play a bunch of those kinda songs, and "Ballad Of Jayne" by LA Guns, "Patience" by Guns N Roses, "Dead Flowers" and "Wild Horses" by the STones, "Hunger Strike" by Temple Of The Dog, "Deadtime Stories" by Demolition 23...
    Ahhh, good times
    Eric

Sorry to break into the 80's metal nostalgia ! (I was in a synth band then... ).

Thanks for nice comments, for those who gave them, this really isnt my style. Too kind, Russ, to give me time off for not playing long - at lot of guys have hit the big time after that long playing.

I had a listen to all the takes! Here's some thoughts if it matters...

Russ: pro job as usual! some nastiness in there I like that!!

BarkingP: pretty good, you guys are all so fast! (maybe I should try tapping sometime)

Satch: you have to be the series improver for both recording and playing - can we send this guy a medal or something? Yes, the tapping was a bit mindless - but thats whats it's all about in this style - gimme notes!

Eric: blown away! your middle section is what I had in my head for mine but I couldn't do it - some serious fast picking in there... I didn't feel so bad about using so much reverb on my take after hearing yours I would like to hear a more in the face remix, since where I need to hide behind the reverb, you obviously don't.
    Last edited by ashc; 04-11-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: gobbledy

I've basically got their whole back catalogue, ALL ON VINYL!!!!!!! Except 'More Unchartered....' which I had to get on CD 'cos it came with a limited edition video as well!!!
    Our first set at the time was basically 'Graveyard...' and a couple of other songs from 'The Dynamite Jet Saloon'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    Sorry to break into the 80's metal nostalgia ! (I was a synth band then... ).

Satch: you have to be the series improver for both recording and playing - can we send this guy a medal or something? Yes, the tapping was a bit mindless - but thats whats it's all about in this style - gimme notes!
    SYNTH BAND????? AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

As for Satch, what about an iBreathe scholarship???

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    Eric: blown away! your middle section is what I had in my head for mine but I couldn't do it - some serious fast picking in there... I didn't feel so bad about using so much reverb on my take after hearing yours I would like to hear a more in the face remix, since where I need to hide behind the reverb, you obviously don't.
    Thanks a lot, man, glad you like it. As I mentioned, something again went wrong during the mix-down ( the first soundfile I posted on Friday for example would play back only one channel, donīt know what happened ). With this track, you only hear one track, the one with reverb added. We had another track that had no reverb ( actually, itīs a delay ), which was pretty "in the face". Yet, when we mixed the mp3 down ( as usual, not listening to the MP3 before we closed the recording software, thereby deleting the individual tracks ), that one was gone. I had the same thing happening when I did a backing track of "Hidden Creek" for the first german Jemfest... a guy mixed it for me, and somehow, only the "effect track" remained in the mix. Imagine my surprise when I heard the final version, and it sounded as if the guitar was recorded in a gigantic plane hangar... *sigh*
    I need to take better care of quality-control before I post those jams, I guess
    Thanks again
    Eric

And Matt, my friend had that video as well, and we watched it once back then. I remember that it was pretty... weird =)
    Eric

Eric - ahh OK, didnt realise you had production issues there! Still cool, either way.

MattB - synths are OK too - I'm still well into Kraftwerk!

guys i won't listen to them for now or i'll get too influenced!

i'm trying to nail mine down ... its giving me a hard time nailing down ... bah darn guitars
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.