Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Minor (Aeolian/harmonic/whatever)

Strictly Minor (Aeolian/harmonic/whatever)

Yeeessss, we're back!

Strickly Aeolian? nah! Strickly Harmonic Minor? nah! let's mix the two! yeah!

OK, then back to the modes of the Cmajor scale I've set this up in Am but the idea perhaps is to allow everyone to mix and match their minor licks in whatever minor scale they think appropriate withint the strickly context of course.

I've given a slightly more comlpex chord progression than usual and split the backing track into three main sections the first at 120bpm then a bars rest and a section at 100bpm then a bars rest and then back into a section at 120bpm.

Each section is 16 bars i think so plenty of space to scope your personalised minor soundscape.

I've chosen to stay fairly strickly in the sense that I kept it almost exclusively scale orientated, shred style alt picked scalar runs.

First section is strickly Aeolian, then the slower middle section is a mix of harmonic and aeolian, then the final section is a slight nod to the minor pent before returning to aeolian.

Again I am happy to tab anything out, but for those of you with good knowledge of you minor scales I doubt you'll find I'm doing anything out of the ordinary. Having said that I didn't like it at all last night but somehow it sounds much better this morning so I'm gonna post.

So as ever, my version (riddled with technical holes and all)
    and a backing track for youselves to have go over.

Minor in A

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Nicely done buddy!!!!

niiiiiiiceeeeeeee oooonnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee

shredfest lmao
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Man, I wish I had an electric guitar to record something with. Won't be the same with an acoustic now would?

Thanks guys!

Gott get your shred licks out and all have a bash!

Registered User Barking Pumpkin's Avatar
    Here's mine. This is my first take from recording, so there are a few parts I don't like. Mainly harmonic minor in the first segment, then some pentatonic things in the second part. Unexpectedly, I started the third section out with a thrash-solo type thing......I added the wah effect in with Audacity after recording......I don't have any pedals....

nice one russ! never knew you could shred like that! Nice rhytm, i like how the tempos and riffs change. im still hungover but when im ready i will not dissapoint. Now this is my type of music lol. havent been playing guitar much lately but last week was my shred week and now im into funky wah rhthyms this week, so i hope i can still shred out.

oh what the hell i ended up doing one. i give it a 5 out of 10. not bad. russ kicked my ***. not bad for a hangover but. i really like the middle riff. pretty much just tapping A minor at start, then a nice minor melodies, and the end , well dont ask , just some crazy **** there, i was just going crazy, have to buy a tremolo one day, i love making noise.
    Last edited by satch_master; 04-10-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Nice one Barking P!

Some nicely timed alt picking in there. Like the add in autowah type effect.

Good stuff.

Satch...did you post your attachment? I can't see it...

The faster sections were a bit of stretch for my humble skills.. here goes nothing....

Satch, lovely tapping at the beginning there, loved it! And you were way enjoying yuorself at the end there i could almost hear the smile on your face! crazy ending! Really enjoyed that Good stuff.

For me, since we first heard you play although i know you had recording problems, you've improved greatly. It's really showing in your playing that your practicing, playing, learning and improving. Great!

Nice one Ash, I know you've not been playing that long in real terms and you've got the skill of adapting what you can do to come up with something that works...everytime!!!, really cool tone, great ideas!

wow cool takes guys.
    Satch, probably the best one I've heard from u so far.

Russ, best one posted so far. The minor feel really did come out from your take. The 2nd part started out with some badass ideas. I liked that.

ashc, too modest as usual :P. That being said it wasn't bad.

Bark, I'd work a bit on tone there. Maybe a bit more distortion would've helped some of the weak note articulation there. Some parts really sounded like your guitar was choking.
    Ax: Ibanez JEM7V, '80s Fender Stratocaster
    FX: DS-1 Ultra, Rocktron Chameleon
    HP: Hidden Content

Registered User Barking Pumpkin's Avatar
    From satch masters's jam, what I had an issue with was that it sounded kind of mindless, like you weren't really paying attention to the intervals you were using. When you went to the blues styled stuff, it was fine, but with the fast part, it just sounded like you were playing fast things I wasn't hearing the accented intervals that give it the feel that fits the chords......just my thought.

...still at my friends house, just saw this jamtrack being posted. Nice one, Russ. One request though... when you do more jam-tracks, and thereīs supposed to be a break in there ( like in this one, between the faster and slower parts ), could you keep a high-hat going for the beat ? =)
    Anyway, hereīs my take... guitar is a bit low in the mix, I dunno what happened, but itīs something with the software. We didnīt keep the soloing-tracks, so no way to alter the volume-levels now
    Eric

Kinda has a Motley Crue/Yngwie vibe! Dr.Feelgood meets the shredmeister.

"I'm the one they call Yngwie Malmsteen.I'm the one who's gonna shred,alright."
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.