Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: that professional sound

No kidding

Yeah, many ( most of us ) have been at that point. That´s hwta makes that whole endorsement-biz work out so well.
    - Extreme cases ? I know a guy who´s a big Petrucci-Fan. He owned an Ibanez JPM ( John Petrucci signature model ). When Petrucci switched from Ibanez to Music Man, this guy posted on some board... "Hey guys, man, now I need to sell that JPM... it´s gonna take a while to get together enough money to buy the Music Man model".
    I mean, as if the JPM all of a sudden didn´t sound good anymore, just because JP wasn´t using it anymore.

Also, a few weeks ago I saw someone post on some message board "Hey guys, I wanna buy a Marshall Guv´nor pedal. Is that any good ? And what exactly does it do ?"
    I mean... HUH ?

How can you have the wish to buy something without knowing what it does or sounds like ?!?
    But again, many of us have been there...
    Eric

What's up?

Its like in my college where there are like 95% pianist and a lot of them own a Triton. The sad thing is some of them tell me they dun actually know how to use it. But they can go, "Yap Triton is the best keyboard in the world!!!!"

A lot of it has to done with people thinking that if they use the exact same equipment as their favourite artist, they think that they will sound like them. But they won't unless they have been practicing for like a really long time.

-Beast

And even if you manage to sound like your favorite guitarist, you´ll most likely find out soon that that should not be the goal. That you actually might appreciate when people go "Cool, this sounds like YOU" instead of "This sounds like Yngwie / Paul / Slash / whoever".
    A good friend of mine who watched me development as a player constantly can spot my playing immediately... whenever he hears a recording I am playing on, even if I am just jamming with other players, he can very quickly pick out which one is me.
    And that is a good feel.

When I i.e. hear John Petrucci, I sure can hear his influences ( Steve Morse, Steve Vai, Al Di Meola, Steve Howe... ), cause he sometimes quotes them or plays something similar to what those guys would play... but at the same time, he has a very unique style and tone, so he obviously went through the same thing... trying to copy his favorite players and then developing his own style & sound...

And seriously, in 99% of the cases, even if you have the exact same guitar your "hero" has, you won´t sound like him... because there still is something to the old "Tone comes from the hands" things, and because often, many artists are not telling EVERYTHINg regarding their gear... who knows what hides behind that amp-panel ? Is it really a stock Marshall ? Or actually a heavily modified or even custom-built amp ? If ya know what I mean...

Eric

but still
    a pro cant get a good sound out of a zoom
    "stop the detective work and keep shredding" - Shred Fan

LOL... nope, probably not. But he can get decent sounds out of a lot of crappy gear, and does not have to rely on effects and other stuff to hide anything...

( LOL, I am wondering what´s the issue with Zoom-stuff. I mean, I never owned one of their products, and I haven´t tested one at a store in years, but your comment was like the third one dissing Zoom-gear I read TODAY ! )

Eric

A lot of times the pros can't sound like the pros!

For example, the recording process involves a certain room with mic's placed in several strategic and exact locations. These mic's are mixed together to get a sound. Then everything is mixed with the band, panned left or right, EQ'd, you name it and it's probably happening.

Recordings are just a snapshot in time. It's admirable to try get a certain sound, but don't go too far to sound "just like the first Van Halen" album!
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

eric the thing with zoom is that it is cheap
    but just does not have the qualitiy sound
    every effect is rushed and does not sounds as clear and not scratchy kinda thing
    "stop the detective work and keep shredding" - Shred Fan