Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Speed Improving: The Timescale

heres a clip, i think its a little sloppy(didnt warmup ), but its there more or less, 32nd's at 160it was a 12-11-10-9 thing on the b string, just over and over, i find it extremely useful for improving speed
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shinkyo00; 04-03-2005 at 02:43 AM.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    32nd at 160 is impossible that like 320 for sixteenths most metronomes WON'T EVEN SOUND OUT 16ths > 250.

sorry, you audio was sloppy, the quality of the mike is not good, the metronome IS at 160 , but your division is no where near 32nd, if it was your guitar would in fact, be on fire. i get my Rh at 250 but thats a real push, sounds more like 16ths when you play.

my advice for speed = buy rock disipline . play that exercise at the speed of JP then see how fast you can play on one string......THAT IS THE MAXIMUM TEMPO...that is what i did.....most malmsteen solos (where multiple string crossing is involved) goes at 210 like blitzreigh so check out that song. so that's about as fast as your gonna get for scalar work.....for one string...check out death metal rythm...you looking at 230 - 250 for that, with the drummer blasting at that tempo . death metal rythm is easier to pull off because you don't have to solo at that speed only RH with little LH articulation. stop searching for speed that isn't possible.

actually i'd say rusty cooley and francesco fareri reach about 260 on one string ( but them, unlike me can get an enourmouse 4NPS stretch and have the synch down tight), i also think they go at about 230 when soling (crossing strings), i think it is mostly to do with the 4nps stretch as they get a wide range of notes on each string alowing them not to have tio change strings (thus slowing them down)

Actually i dont think i'm goin to manage 280. lol So i'm gonna do 264.

The Be-Bop scale is the blues scale with a major 2nd added in, a major 3rd added in and a major 6th added in. And can be used for any minor key signiture.
    So in A minor, the scale has all the notes in Aminor + a B,C and a G. Its a very unusual scale!!!

The 5 positions mean that it can start from any one of those 5 root notes(the note at the start of the boxes) but still be in the key of A minor. Its like the ordinary 5 boxes of you're blues scale and you're ordinary 7 boxes of you're major scale, or any of the modes.
    OK?

^'s exactly what i said, you're right, metronomes dont go up that high, my metronome goes up to 208 so u'd have to do subdivision at a lower tempo

i have rock discipline and all those videos that u could possibly get, i dont find them very useful as it's in video format, id prefer if it was written down on paper, in a book, what i do find useful is just analyzing videos, whether its instructional vids or concerts

however, i assure you 32nd's at 160 is possible, the guitar wouldnt catch fire at all, in fact here in Canada it's still cold

anyways, write out a 4321 pattern in powertab and set it to 32nd's at 160 and listen to it, its not that impossible

i'll post a clean recording later
    Last edited by shinkyo00; 04-03-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    well shinkyo00 i look forward to you posting a clean recording of you doing 320bpm , cause if you do, you would make guys like JP + YJM look slow. why a clean recording later???? ...why not now? heres a powertab i made......how does it look possible?....i think guys like JP would find this impossible...i look forward to hearing you do this powertab at a tempo that would make JP **** himself

r.toscano
    let me sum up this thread...

you are going to post a 1234 pattern at 160 in the metronome, you will be trying to play 8 notes per click, you will indeed be playing 3 and slurring one (sometimes, sometimes it wont even come out as anything)... and you will think you are accenting 32nds...

you are not playing 32nds at 160, in fact you probably cant play 32nds at 100 clean and in time and with correct subdivision...

people have to realize that you can either play something, or you cant... there is no middle ground...

if you miss notes, if you dont subdivide correctly, if you arent in tempo to the click... you have failed to play the passage...

i cant do string skipping at that tempo, its just on 1 string in a single spot

and i cant do it right now cuz i have to get to work, but ill do 1 later, and ill try to borrow a better mic or something because if i record with the mic on my headset then its gonna turn out horrible, inevitably

Quote Originally Posted by shinkyo00
    i cant do string skipping at that tempo, its just on 1 string in a single spot
    I'm sorry to be blunt, but if this is really the case, I would suggest that you start looking at some other types of excercies more useful in a musical setting.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by bet23
    you are not playing 32nds at 160, in fact you probably cant play 32nds at 100 clean and in time and with correct subdivision...
    that is because it's impossible to reach that speed, true speed = JP exercise which is done at 208bpm by one of the 'fastest guitar shredders of all time' as voted by guitar one magazine. if shinkyo00 can do 320bpm then i look forward to hearing it....although i may be waiting for some time

you people are funny.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arpetude
    that is because it's impossible to reach that speed, true speed = JP exercise which is done at 208bpm by one of the 'fastest guitar shredders of all time' as voted by guitar one magazine. if shinkyo00 can do 320bpm then i look forward to hearing it....although i may be waiting for some time
    look arpetude, I was trying to help you with that speed thing a few pages back
    cool. a few days ago you said you were at 130 and having trouble getting anyfaster. now you are going at 280bpm ....wow thats much faser than me..you managed to develop it in TWO DAYS thats some increase. post audio man

as far as 'as i am' goes . if you are refering to the end solo . there is no speed on one string . it is mostly amongst two. tempo = 97 with groups of 7 or 8. theres polyrythms in there but its more or less the same division speed wise. so in sixteenths that's about 200.

looks like you can play much faster than petrucci and managed to develop it in merely days(and it was not hard) + this shawn baxter person can also play the JP exercise 142bpm faster than petrucci....just wondering?......do you have your figues right?
    and I don't know how this turned into childish mockery, but if you don't believe it, then don't

without anything close to proper recording equipment, my clips will sound dirty, with hisses, no matter what

with all due respect to John Petrucci, he is not a speed limit, so I don't know why you would base a 'true speed' on his example

I'm not going to argue any further because first, I have nothing to prove to anyone, and second, it'd just turn into a spam war, so have a nice day everyone and this'll be the end of the 32nd's

i agree

I think the speed limits different for each player. The limit is how fast you can move your picking hand really, unless you do extremely fast legato's but they dont have the same edge to them as hearing the picking noise when you play fast. Nobody was trying to have a go out you Shinkyo00, just sayin that theres no point tryin to jump straight in at the deep end because u'll drown and never get that much better. Learn how to swim before you dive. Theres no problem in haveing a little speed session once in a while where every1 (even me) convinces themselves that there brilliant, the next day you realise you're no where near brilliant! thats just the way it goes.Anyway, coming down on chromatics (12-11-10-9) has got to be one of the hardest things to get accurate at high speeds, because without the proper training in your fingers, your pinky just stays on the fret board for too long.

No hard feelings mate.

This is a PG excercise and this is what works best for me for perfecting technique at specific speeds. The time signutures pretty wierd, we need a drummer to tell us what it is but i can play it pretty fast, about 152bpm.
    • File Type: txt PG.txt (357 Bytes, 23 views)
    Last edited by Music Mania; 04-04-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Satch Master: Just out of interest which Satch songs can you play and which is your favourite and why?