Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Improving: The Timescale

Aspiring Virtuoso
    hey man,

sorry there is no speed record for guitaring. for drumming there is

www.extremesportdrumming.com/battleofthehands.html

holy crap, jotan held the world record . now mike mangini actually managed to exceed 300bpm.....1203 omg. 6 months ago 1199 was the record by jotan
    watch the world record being acheived for 60 seconds straight. he is relaxed like me.

check out the speed thread made recently. i have audio there. i get 250 out of my right hand on one string. stick in the LH synch JP chromatic exercise i can do at JP tempo = 210.

not bad, not bad at all. Well i can tell you as a fact that Gufrey Goven from an ACM college, (he also writes and transcribes for GuitarTechniques(a magazine well worth buying once a month)), this guy reached a speed of 350 JP chromatics on clean. Thats my challenge, lol.

When you practice at a certain speed do you run through all of your scale boxs at that speed? Thats what i do, but i can imagine that it would be nearly impossible to do that over 240bpm.

Flying i a Blue Dream, has got awsome legato bits in it. I would'nt say that it blows me away, because i can play the first minute of it as i've got all the tabs for most of his songs.

The best two to start learning (Satch songs i mean) are 'Crystal Planet' and 'The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing'---If you've never heard it before i'm not making that name up!!!

I think i've attatched a sweep picking lick i just wrote, it should be right up ur street Arpetude.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Music Mania; 04-01-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    hey dude,

sounds like you are a cool guy, someone is trying to bad mouth me( can't remember, . dunno why?,

anyway yeah i'll check that out tommorow(it is late where i am), i'll post audio of my 'attempt' of me playing that arp sequence. lol

guitar techniques?.....what is that.....OF COURSE I KNOW THAT MAGAZINE ..its totaly shred at the back . shawn baxter if i remember correctly writes all the shred columns. he rules, i know that all the others can shred too.

'this guy reached a speed of 350 JP chromatics on clean. Thats my challenge'

**** OFF, NO WAY.....JP does it at 208 ( i got it at 210 last year)..... **** OFF NO WAY . thats physically impossible. again NOW WAY..thats just a lie man....i don't believe it ...if this was true then rusty cooley would be a slow player compared to this guy.

i've heard those satch songs before ( i actually own his albums, i just don't enjoy them as much).

i practice 3NPS scales as all of my scales at 250BPM...BUT WAIT...its triplets which is like 16th notes triples at 125bpm (i know my math)...so in sixteenth, i dunno . probably about 190 or something, i will post audio if you want. just request and i'll post. Powertab + audio.

music mania do you mean Guthrie Govan? I have one of his books and a track called Fives (all in 5/4!!) from him from Alchemists - he is indeed an exceptional player.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

You know what man, i'd love to hear play through a A minor Blues add Major 2nd scale at 250bpm! thats one nasty scale.Yeah I meant Guthrie Govan. He was the one who taught my guitar teacher.
    If ur interested his website is www.gradeaguitartuition.co.uk he's got an few audio files on there with previews of his album. Its worth a look honestly.

I think Guthrie's bringing out an album soon which he's been working on for about 13 years!!!! i dunno if its already out.

Shawn Baxter rules as well. Did you see that article he wrote on JP! he wrote this piece which is full of string skipping and JP style shredding and it sounded ace. If you've got that edition Arpetude you ahev to learn that. its a knock out for any player to listen to.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    i only own 2 issues of guitar techniques, had i been playing in the style of shred longer i'd own more. i want to see this artical ...convert it to powertab for me

A minor Blues add Major 2nd scale at 250bpm

what scale is that ...i know the blues scale. have no idea what you mean by add major second?....what scale would it be then.....i arrange all my scales for 3nps.....in affect i would not be playing the scale in succussion of notes as there would be a unision note..confused ....well when i arranged the pentatonic scale as 3nps i realised that the last note before swtiching strings was the same as the first note when the strings are swtiched....yes 250 BUT AS TRIPLETS...

ok then, i'll get to work writin all the tabs out for you. The scale is basically the blues scale with the 2nd note of its major scale added in. Like a blues scale with 2 or 3 extra notes.
    For example: in A minor you would play the normal blue scale boxes from that root note but in all of the boxes you would include the note B, beacuse B is the 2nd note in the major scale.

You can get loads like that. I know the add Major 2nd, Major 3rd, Major 6th and if you conbine them all together you get the Be-Bop scale which is what petrucci mainly uses because there are so many notes in it, it is mostly chromatic.
    Some of the leaps and finger positions in the above scales take some getting used to though.

I'll give you Shawn Baxter's JP thing as soon as i can. It might be 2day or 2mora.

By the way, somehow i pulled off 4nps and 3nps and 168 last night.it just came out of nowhere. Miricales do happen.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    yeah i get what you said there 'add the 2nd' which is B in the key of C major/A minor. make a powertab when you can,,that would be great. never played the be-bop scale at all. so i hope this tab incorporates JP's usage of the Be-Bop scale, if you can provide performance notes from SB artical + tempo and division if its not too much trouble....how long have you been collecting guitar techiques?...how many issues do you have?.

you managed to increase your speed by 30bpm today......what is your secret?

I've only got about 3 issues, but they just happen to be all the right ones!

I have no secret, and i dont really practice as much as ever1 else on this website, only about 1 hour a day, i've got no scheduled practice routine either! I found that once i got bast 132bpm, all the other speeds above that just felt right and i could play them after about 30mins!

Something i do that every1 else may not do is that when i'm not playing the guitar, i get the metronome speed in my head and just pretend i'm playing chromatics with my left hand only. I make sure their all evenly spaced out and i stick to the tempo. After about 20mins, my hand gets tired. I start again 10 mins later and carry on 4 ages. I think i've done it for about 16 hours solid one day! i didn't really think that counted as promise but i suppose it is training my hand to be more controlled. All i've got ot work on at the moment is string skipping at high speeds because on 1 string i can play up to about 280. i duno really. You know the end section of 'As I Am' well he spends about 15 seconds on the top E string there, i can play it faster than him on clean accuretly there.

it just seems to come naturally to me. Like once i've mastered one speed and can do the speeds up to about 40bpm higher. I'll come to a block soon probably, but then i'll just learn some more chords and be on my way again. I dont find it hard to be honest with u.

I think i've actually lost the specific magazine but i can remember it cuz i learnt it.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    cool. a few days ago you said you were at 130 and having trouble getting anyfaster. now you are going at 280bpm ....wow thats much faser than me..you managed to develop it in TWO DAYS thats some increase. post audio man

as far as 'as i am' goes . if you are refering to the end solo . there is no speed on one string . it is mostly amongst two. tempo = 97 with groups of 7 or 8. theres polyrythms in there but its more or less the same division speed wise. so in sixteenths that's about 200.

looks like you can play much faster than petrucci and managed to develop it in merely days(and it was not hard) + this shawn baxter person can also play the JP exercise 142bpm faster than petrucci....just wondering?......do you have your figues right?

I know it sounds crazy and i'm not making it up. The coordination part just doesn't give me a problem that much. I still have to practice a lot. I'm not saying i'm perfect at 280. I'm very near perfect on JUST 1 string at 280. If you asked my to do my scale boxes at that speed i couldn't do it perfectly. Perfectly i'm still at about 144bpm but theres just some aspects of alternate picking that i seem to find easier than every1 else. It will still probably take me about 4 months to get up to 180bpm perfect.

I might post and audio soon actually. I wanna hear you do that sweep picking ex i posted, because i just think that sweep picking sounds awsome. I can do it at about 110bpm. lol i'm embarrassed.

i'm no wonder person. I just find it a bit easier than most.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    cool, well i have 2 audio clips somewhere of me sweeping (i sweep all night ). thats good because i have been having problems with my mic...click on my profile under all posts or something, i have audio there of me sweeping.....looks like you will have to post audio before me.lol

i don't find things easier than most like you, i have to work hard to get anywhere musically. i look forward to your audio.

ok. Heres the JP scale i promised. its very hard to remember, but you can improvise to any minor scale if you know it. So its pretty useful.

On this audio, i'm going to post. Are you actually expecting a song or just a bit of fast playing? I might a bit of synth in the background and do a petrucci sort of thing. I'll do some of it clean though so its slightly more impressive. Dont expect to much!!!!

have fun with the scale. I hate it personally.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Aspiring Virtuoso
    hey man, thanks ALOT, but i am confused?

its arranged wierd, its like a combination of 3/4 NPS, why?

have you arranged it in all positions (i see you have it in 5 positions) so does this mean the scale has 5 notes in it like the pentatonic and therefore has 5 positions (then, in effect wouldn't there be a unision note when you switch strings) or does it have more and you have not arranged the rest?

i'll take a closer look at it tommorow. it is bed time where i am

for the audio.....well, you said you can do 280bpm on one string......so do 280bpm on one string

arpetude try doing a chromatic thing in 1 position on 1 string, such as 4321 or 1234 or 121314, it works wonders, but given that u are doing the picking and fretting right

with chromatics on a single string in 1 spot, im pretty sure (id have to check) i can go up to 320 (8 notes at 160, my metronome only goes to 208)

which also means if someone really worked at it for the sake of speed, 350 should be no problem for the speed addict
    Last edited by shinkyo00; 04-03-2005 at 02:10 AM.