Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Improving: The Timescale

Aspiring Virtuoso
    what do you mean an 'aim' then?. my goals. i think i posted them on the speed thread where i posted audio.hey i dont know what grade i am on guitar. i have been taught drums privately for 6 years. and i have been playing above the grade 8 level for about 2 years on my drums. but these grades don't really have you playing fast. more 'being able to play well in all styles'. i still can't play jazz as well as my teacher ...still kick his *** on death metal speed drumming . he sais it doesn't matter we all want to develop our own things. he is a nice person. i get to steal all his hard drumming shets at lessons (he was taught at ACM, which is like the british's berklee)

I mean, do you wanna known as one of the best guitarests in the world?

Have you ever thought of going to an ACM college? if you want to make a living out of the guitar thats the best place to go. My guitar teacher came from there and you need to do about 8 hours practice minimum a day, and the teachers there are unimaginbly suberb! like my teacher.

nobody knows what grade they are at the guitar becuz its almost impossible to say as there are so many aspects to being a good guitarest. But if you can play fast, you can do everything else really!

I have to tell you that more my album i'm using a drum machine, soryy mate!!
    no hard feelings!, i've got nothing against drummers! lol

Aspiring Virtuoso
    hey man, where you from... whose your teacher?

as far as grading. my drum teacher gave me 6 perfomance tracks that they make you play at ACM which is grade 8 . i play them on the drums, i really don't think they are all that hard, i find dance of eternity to be grade 14 then . even though there is nothing above 8. there should be though because if you take a guitar player who is grade 8 and yngwie malmsteen there is a big difference.

living out of guitar?. not me . i am going to make a living from my computing degree but also out of my drums

i am a much better drummer than a guitar player IMO. i just seem to cover more ground as a drummer. + have been playing much longer and tend to get grooves down faster than i would....say a paul gilbert terror death lick
    i think if you play fast with a pick then yes, you can do more WITH A PICK. but i'd like to point out that i cannot fingerpick. and i am sure someone who is proficient at finger pciking can't use a pick as well.

you should check out dance of eternity....more like HELL OF ETERNITY...i still only play half of it really - this is drums.

Yeah, I cant finger-pick either, i can do it 2 a standard of about grade 3 but what the hell does that mean?!!!

i'm from Stafford, thats like 55miles south of birmingham. My guitar teachers called Scott Adams. He's got his own instrumental album out and he's kick JP's *** any day. His albums more based on melody than anything else, but the fast bits he does. There not mindblowingly fast but his note choice!! its scary.

I think they should have something past grade 8 too, they've got dimploma's but u only take that if you want to take ur instrument to like a professional level. You know in karate, after black belt they have dans, i think they should have a system like that.

i Think its a shame the guitar magazines dont like Yngwie that much. I mean he quit school when he wsa about 13 so he could just play the guitar all the time and i think he had his 1st album out by the time he was 16!! thats commitment. In one of the magazines they had an article one whether Malmsteen was a shred ledgend or a big haired twonk!!

That term shred as well. I can't stand it. Shred.... it just makes it sound like theres no skill invloved and i think of fast alternate picking as an art.!!

Aspiring Virtuoso
    good to hear from you,

shred has no true definition. for me shred is about constantly challenging yourself and taking your playing to the next level. not just technical but also the musical aspects as well!!!

when EVH first started tapping and made it sound melodically good...that was shredding. they are only so many days when you are 'shredding' but you don't have to be playing fast. just taking it to the next level.

but cooley is already so high up there.....does that mean he can't shred no more

my teacher mentioned to me that there is some sort of 'intensive music course' where musicians who are really skiled go to get a degree in that instrument in 3 months. is this the 'dimploma' you speak of. my teacher sais i would be bored going to these 'all-in-one' type colleges. and if i want to improve my drumming to a higher level i should go somewhere special(can't remember where). perhaps i go to some religious monk-type place where they all go 'huummmmmmmmmmm....hummmmmmmmmmmm..drummmmmmm...dr ummmmmm'
    and they say stuff like 'you will learn the art of drumming' . and i leave cause they are all crazy. i have a wierd imagination.

JP = GOD, no one is above JP

Aspiring Virtuoso
    hey my drum teacher gave me some grade 1 - 8 material so i could have a look at it. could you post what the requirements are for grade 1 - 8 on guitar, that would be great.

i used to know this guy, he played piano and got an h.n.c . said he was grade 6 . i thought WOW,if grade 8 the highest then he most be close to the J.S.Bach. NO WHERE NEAR..he played chords on the RH and bass root on LH. he played some popy crap which contained 4 chords. is he lying or is that what grade 6 is really like for piano. if so then, the grading system for piano is very low indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Mania
    I

nobody knows what grade they are at the guitar becuz its almost impossible to say as there are so many aspects to being a good guitarest. But if you can play fast, you can do everything else really!
    Are you sure about if you can play fast then you can do everthing, surely technique is only a small part of being a musician?

I don't think ACM has quite the stature of Berkley, there are other collegues in the UK which do these type of courses. I would say the Guild Hall School of Music and dance or the Royal Accedemy, both in London is probably closest to Berkley in level of playing, however they don't have the breadth of teachers and focus on Classical or Jazz, mainly, no contempory music, unless it has changed in recent years
    Last edited by mac220; 04-01-2005 at 01:13 PM.

RSM Classical Grade 8 is quite accomplised and some way above Grade 6 (and thats not bad, just because you heard someone diddle some chords thats probably not all they can do). But anyway it's only the highest in the regular school system - this is entry level to study piano at a decent music college, nothing whatsoever with being a concert pianist....never mind great composer...

Aspiring Virtuoso
    yes, i believe i am getting confused

he did an h.n.c course that was called 'music' . or something like that it was not classical studies. and yes, chords was all he could do. but i think they are different grade for different courses. i know a guitar player who is doing an h.n.d for 'pop studies', when i talk to him about guitar, he seems to know nothing about guitar or theory.

Responding to what mac220 said:

Yes, i meant that as technique means the ability to play notes, i meant that if you had amazing technique then you could play anything (almost!)

Of course there's more to being a proper musician.

Maybe that guy you heard play the piano Apetude was afraid of messing a difficult piece up so he played something simple.
    I can tell you know, that Grade 6 is difficult, if you can play the pieces at grade 6 level then your good. You can't compare people on grades to people lihe Bach and Chopin, because like you said earlier, its the same as comparing a grade 8 guitarest to JP or Yngwie. Theres a huge! gap between their abilities but techniqually and officially theres not.

Grade 8 piano is very good indeed. i would say that it is much harder to get to grade8 piano that it is to get to grade8 guitar.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    what is the grade system for guitar. you seem to know alot about the grading system, i know the drumming but not guitar. what do you have to do in order to be grade 8?.....what about speed....do you have to play 16th notes at a certain tempo, what and how many pieces do you have to learn?

Actuallym the guitar grdading system is very different to the drum system. You dont actullaly have to learn pieces or be able to be to a certain tempo for the grade. They examine you on improvisation, chords, rhythm(timing), scale knowledge, they may do sight reading(i don't exactly know about that), and ear tests. It really isn't what you'd expect!

I dont think there's anything about speed in there, but i suppose it may help to get very high marks in the improvisation section.

To reinforce what i said earlier, i've been practieing 144bpm for about 2 weeks now. About 30mins agom i learnt some new chords and stummed through them for about 25mins. I went back to the metronome and i could do the 144bpm! thats like a major milestone for me!, i'm so pleased

Aspiring Virtuoso
    thats what its all about man, improving your score, there is no competition in music, the only competition should come from within. keep going, then in 6 months time you can post yourself doing chromatics at 260bpm

Is there love in space? SatchFan1012's Avatar
    Hey Music Mainia, you should check out Flying in a Blue Dream by Satch. He dose like 2:30 worth of ruthless legato licks that blow me away every time I watch him.
    ________
    Starlet
    Last edited by SatchFan1012; 02-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.

260? no probs.lol

My overall like lifetime challenge in speed is to get over 350bpm, cuz thats the world record!!!!
    you've been a great help today, thx mate.
    What speed r u on at the moment?