Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New forum: Piano & Keys

Guni of the administration, and readers of this forum.

The piano lays the musical universe in front of you to look at. If you are a visual learner and comprehender who understands that harmonic patterns are actually based on knowledge of cycles then you have an excellent tool that makes the mathematics of music comprehendible. I play other instruments but I can't see what's going on in the music like I can see it on a piano. The resonance of sympathetic vibration exists on the acoustic piano. No organ or keyboard known to man can boast of that sonic reality. Knowlege of this introduces your ear to the fundamental and the harmonics which make the overtone series upon which all music is made using the well tempered scale which we are working with now since 1650 to the present.

I didn't realize that you have ignored the KING of instruments. Indeed your light bulb just had a great intuitive idea. It turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Flextones
    Guni of the administration, and readers of this forum.

The piano lays the musical universe in front of you to look at. If you are a visual learner and comprehender who understands that harmonic patterns are actually based on knowledge of cycles then you have an excellent tool that makes the mathematics of music comprehendible. I play other instruments but I can't see what's going on in the music like I can see it on a piano. The resonance of sympathetic vibration exists on the acoustic piano. No organ or keyboard known to man can boast of that sonic reality. Knowlege of this introduces your ear to the fundamental and the harmonics which make the overtone series upon which all music is made using the well tempered scale which we are working with now since 1650 to the present.

I didn't realize that you have ignored the KING of instruments. Indeed your light bulb just had a great intuitive idea. It turned on.
    Well said.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the "Amen" brother.

I bought a book called "Let's Take Another Look at the Keyboard" by Dr. William Fowler. and all four of his other books on "Visual Keyboard". See www.fowlerbrothers.com/bill/vkcp1.htm ect...

The late Dr Fowler was a guitarist and college professor who used to present feature articles in "Downbeat Magazine" every month back in the 70's and 80's.

Fowler's premise is that guitar is easier to navigate than piano because you can move your hand position around and get automatic transposition, but unfortunately the looks and feels are different for each key (tonailty) on piano. This is true because the harmonic fifth does not divide evenly in the tempered scale. The split is an asymmetrical set of thirds which are either major or minor. Fowler provided me with a new look at the piano as a bunch of white and black buttons. I was already a proficent college graduated music student and teacher who did learn something about the look of the keys. If you are a visual learner I suggest that you read or get a copy of his first book.

I promise I will have more to say on the topic in the future.

Flextones

Question, how to distinguish bewteen pefect 4ths and 5ths...they sound to similiar...the 4 sounds a little flat..but at times...they sound just alike

Adela -- ran across Dr. Wirth's paper on The Art of Fingering. Good basic reference material you might want to bookmark.

http://www.cmmusicschool.org/download/fingering.pdf

Malcolm

Will do, I will review this thanx again....

any other helpful tips or insight

Well,I am new here and i am a great piano lover.Even i am searching for the piano players who can explain me about piano.I will share my experience with and please share your experiences with me.

Fresh and Innovative Ideas

Alexalin,

My reply to you and to any others here who are interested in piano performance and music theory lend me your ears if you have any. I am interested in exchanging any thoughts or ideas that you might have on this topic. I am will to share my two cents as well.

If you show me yours. I will show you mines.

flextones

Thank you mr.flextones.Really i am very happy with your Response and definitely we will exchange the links and ideas so that we can share the information on our intresting topic piano..I hope we can maintain the good conversations.

Thanks,
    Alex

Piano Recital Gift Suggestions

After a year's hard work, my daughter has certainly earned my admiration. There are many piano-inspired gifts online, but I wanted something unique and not so "commercial-looking". Etsy has a reputation for showcasing artisans' work and I was thrilled to find this and wanted to share it with you:
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23448199

Glad to see a new addition to piano forums on the web!

Hannon Excercises

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction Bob.

practice makes perfect right??

Piano_Piano

Quote Originally Posted by angel212
    practice makes perfect right??
    actually personally i don't find this saying accurate. i don't think perfection is attainable for anyone in anything. there is always room for improvement no matter how good you get. and thank god for that.

so for me, it's more like practice makes better.