Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New forum: Piano & Keys

I think one of the IMB peoples said that anyone could begin submitting articles for piano. I don't know if they are going to make a new section for it though...

I do play some classical pieces but not with the correct fingering or theory...I just read them very slowly, then memorize and play them, but I want to do it correctly, hence my trying to learn this elusive theory...

Thanks ever so much! Adela
    hey Adela...it's no problem u don't play the piano very well. U'll learn. I've been playing for like 13 or 14 years. Then I dropped out. Now I'm 23 and I still miss playing. So sometimes I play my keyboard, but it's not the same. I can read very fast, but it's only a matter of time. I can say to you now; practice, practice and practice. Even if you feel like hating those stupid practice lessons.
    I wish u good luck with it, because you will find out, it is delicious to play with your eyes closed and just enjoy the music you play!!!

greetz Laurien

playing piano 'by ear'

Hi,
    Bob you might be able to answer this one best, being a piano player.
    I'm wanting to learn to play by ear.
    My goal for playing piano at the moment is to be able to accompany myself while singing so I can play at school in my classroom. I am looking for some starting pointers. I can read music but don;t want to be encumbered with learning a whole lot of classical tunes and stuff or to be limited to the printed music. Have had 2 years of piano lessons at high school ages ago. Know heaps of theory too so can find the chords (slowly).
    Lets take a simple tune like - Rock My Soul , or something. Where do I start?
    All suggestions welcome.
    Cheers,
    Axeman
    "In art there is only one generation, the generation of man." Wynton Marsalis
    Hidden Content

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar
    Does it matter that much which fingers one uses for chording piano. Someone told me that major and minor chords should be fingered 1,3,5 or 5, 3, 1. I often use 1,2,3. Are there any fingering techniques that one should learn immediately. I play by ear and am a beginner. I use a lot of arpeggios with my right hand and flourishes when I can find them. Left hand usually does some kind of bass line. Suggestions?
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

Quote Originally Posted by jade_bodhi
    Does it matter that much which fingers one uses for chording piano. Someone told me that major and minor chords should be fingered 1,3,5 or 5, 3, 1. I often use 1,2,3. Are there any fingering techniques that one should learn immediately. I play by ear and am a beginner. I use a lot of arpeggios with my right hand and flourishes when I can find them. Left hand usually does some kind of bass line. Suggestions?
    Why force your hand to stretch so much for 1,2,3 when you can more comfortably play it 1,3,5? In the long run, 1,3,5 is more nimble and agile of a fingering for just about everything. You can also swtich between chords and scales without changing your hand positions at all.

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar

Why didn't I think of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Poparad
    Why force your hand to stretch so much for 1,2,3 when you can more comfortably play it 1,3,5? In the long run, 1,3,5 is more nimble and agile of a fingering for just about everything. You can also swtich between chords and scales without changing your hand positions at all.
    I'm persuaded! Thank you. All I need is a good reason to change (that ought to be my new signature!)
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

A3 and B3 are intended to be lower Midi numbers

I would like to buy a MDI keyboard for my computer system (software). I found that all the keyboards appear to have a defect. I found that A3 and B3 are Higher Frequencies than G3, and have MIDI number of 57 and 59 respectfully. This pattern is repeated until B7. Also some material suggests that middle C is c3 instead of c4.

I found a formula for calculating the frequencies of MIDI numbers on the web site

http://www.musicmasterworks.com/WhereMathMeetsMusic.html . I found no comfort in the formula.

I would like to buy a software keyboard that does not have this inherent defect.

Last edited by demcmillan; 10-21-2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: misspelled MIDI

PIANO is the great Instrument

So many keyboard enthusiasts, so few threads. Let's change that! I've been playing since I was 6! And as much as I would like guitar to be my main instrument, keyboards turned out to be. Awesome new sub-forum!

I used to play piano and I used to own a Korg Z1, which I had to sell unfortunately!! Right now, I've got a controller keyboard but it's a bit small and this means I've gotta record left and right hand parts seperately.

When I've got a bigger keyboard, I'll be utilising keys much more in my songs. I tend to come up with the best melodic phrases with keys.

Hi all buddies, Here is my 2 cents worth re' the piano type K/board. I have had nearly 70 Yrs' worth of playing K/ boards, and One fact stands out as being the outstandingly most helpful- to me at least-advantage of using the piano to study theory on is. Most of the top music schools use the Basic Major Scale of 'C' to illustrate virtually all of their lessons on. the result is that " One does become an expert on Key 'C'" So much so that complicated theories about stuff in other Keys can quickly be understood by using key'C' as the main referrence point, an then merely transposing to wherever you want. Finally One can 'see' what one is doing on a piano, which may even have as many as 88 different keys ready to study and play, whereas the guitar-brilliant machine that it is, never the less is not so good to learn theory on, having only 6 fixed tones, and needs to be strapped on or whatever in order to play anything at all

no wonder i cant play any songs on my guitar, it only has 6 fixed tones!!
    damn it, time to get a REAL instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by leegordo
    ...needs to be strapped on or whatever in order to play anything at all
    You can't exactly carry a piano around with you though!

I agree, learning theory on keys is much easier. I'm sure when one knows the guitar inside out, things will become less difficult (obviously). Another obvious advantage of using a keyboard, is playing two parts. Coming up with song ideas is great because you've got one hand playing the bass (or chords) and the other playing the melody.
    Last edited by Bill Brown; 12-08-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brown
    You can't exactly carry a piano around with you though!

I agree, learning theory on keys is much easier. I'm sure when one knows the guitar inside out, things will become less difficult (obviously). Another obvious advantage of using a keyboard, is playing two parts. Coming up with song ideas is great because you've got one hand playing the bass (or chords) and the other playing the melody.

I have a piano in my house, I dont practise it, but its really nice to get a grasp on theory like bill said.

I use the piano for songwriting purpose's as wel.

Antony

Hey all

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Reynaert
    I have a piano in my house, I dont practise it, but its really nice to get a grasp on theory like bill said.

I use the piano for songwriting purpose's as wel.

Antony
    Yeah, I've pretty much only have experience with guitar, but I still use my piano in my house to write songs occasionally.

I also find the piano very useful for better understanding theory that is hard to understand on guitar.