Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impressionism

Impressionism

I started working on an impressionistic piece a little while ago. I haven't decided yet where I'm going with it, mostly this was an experiment to delve into some writing I hadn't done since college days. It's a short piano solo (about 1:17) and I'm playing it live on a Yamaha P80. I'd sure appreciate comments and suggestions. Does this style of music fit anywhere these days? Does it sound interesting or does it just sound like a load? Title, "Pour Toilet", is only temporary, unless I decide to scrap it (1.5Mb):

http://sdg.ag.uidaho.edu/BobWeb/RDobbins_PourToilet.mp3

Thanks in advance!
    =Bob=

Registered User GuitarDreamer20's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me, but I think it's GREAT! I loved it! It is really cool. I mean it's definitely not something I've really listened to before, but I really dig it! Keep working on it Bob! Thanks for the post! I wanna hear more when it's finished!

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Certainly not mainline music, I know. It is a playing style I developed while in college (some time ago) and I've been considering developing this diddy into a full piece. More to come... Thanks for listening, always appreciate comments, good or bad.
    =Bob=

Quote Originally Posted by =Bob=
    Thanks Mike, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Certainly not mainline music, I know. It is a playing style I developed while in college (some time ago) and I've been considering developing this diddy into a full piece. More to come... Thanks for listening, always appreciate comments, good or bad.
    =Bob=
    nice piece =Bob=, Here's a ling to a friends site here in Pacifica California, Thollem. He plays strictly in that vein. enjoy!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Boleros
    nice piece =Bob=, Here's a ling to a friends site here in Pacifica California, Thollem. He plays strictly in that vein. enjoy!
    Very, very cool! Love "Clown Funeral" the most. Thanks for the link and the coimpliment!
    =Bob=

Hi =Bob=,
    Very facinating and great, both your piece, and the Thollem stuff. Is it carefully composed, or is it free improvisation?
    G

Sounds nice, its not that far from in left field, defenitely lots of people who enjoy that stuff. I do. Sounds like Debussy ... sorry if the analogy isn't apt, my classical knowledge isn't extensive.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    Hi =Bob=,
    Very facinating and great, both your piece, and the Thollem stuff. Is it carefully composed, or is it free improvisation?
    G
    I'd have to say mine is a little of both. I start screwing around and I like what I hear, then I try to repeat it. It's written down, but only after the fact. Glad you like it.
    =Bob=

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo150
    Sounds nice, its not that far from in left field, defenitely lots of people who enjoy that stuff. I do. Sounds like Debussy ... sorry if the analogy isn't apt, my classical knowledge isn't extensive.
    Thanks! It's a little Frenchish (Debussy/Ravel) and a little 12-tone atonal, but not arhythmical. Definitely not what I hear on the radio around here! Country is the big flavor in these parts. Thanks for having a listen, always appreciate feedback, good or bad.
    =Bob=

very nice Sr. Bob really liked it.....are you a fan of Keith Jarrett?

Quote Originally Posted by GrantMe
    very nice Sr. Bob really liked it.....are you a fan of Keith Jarrett?
    Thanks! I'm not real familiar, but what I've heard, I like very much. There are some transcriptions of some of Jarrett's work here: http://www.keithjarrett.org/transcriptions/

Some of it is very good MIDI if anyone is looking for more riffs! Thanks again for the feedback, always appreciated!
    =Bob=

wow thanks im gunna go through that stuff....he really is great....practices only classical and plays only improv......the attitude of yours reminded me of him really quick.

That's great Bob!
    Did you play that in real time or is it done in MIDI?

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRuss
    That's great Bob!
    Did you play that in real time or is it done in MIDI?
    Thanks, i really appreciate the listen and the compliment! Yeah, that was a live take on a Yamaha P80. I record via MIDI most of the time, then I can correct any gross mistakes. I didn't have to make any corrections on this though, who could tell what are mistakes? lol... Thanks again, always appreciate feedback!
    =Bob=

it's great! i like the sound of it! My son was humming it after we listened to it while pretending to play the piano! We saved it in the comp so he can listen to it again. Question why that title?