Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much time do you spend on speed?

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arpetude
    thanks DemonSorcerer
    you have inspired me to hold back on the excessive practicing, i'm gonna cut down on mindless trilling and cut down on theory as well. possibly get out more. as for paganini....i'll leave that one in your hands.

i didn't mean to impress people. i play in my style for repesct of myself, not other people, if i did what the majority of people do then i would be playing green day on guitar and apprently 'having a life' at the same time.

thanks again. this has helped me realise that i WILL get there...and if i push too much i will go insane but acheive the goal in a shorter amount of time. but after reading your post, i can imagine me being 25 or so and being able to play all of it without doing excessive practicing ALL the time.
    See, Arp...

My problem is that i'm very, very obssesive/compulsive with the things i want to do...when i started playing, i used to practice up to 9 hours a day...i left everything behind but i guess i just wanted to play guitar and nothing else...but hey...what i'm telling you is...Life has tons of great things to show us...and we are sooo blind from time to time...enjoy your life, do stuff, and try to be happy...don't just lock yourself in your room and play guitar like a freak...you'll regret it...the voice of experience is talking to you...

David

Aspiring Virtuoso
    thanks for that. so when did you 'get enough done'. when did you say to youself ' i've locked myself in my room for x amount of year's, i have now accomplished what i set out to do, now i'm gonna have a life'.

i have this vision. it enters my dreams. the vision that i will one day be able to play 10 hard pieces (malmsteen,vai,paganini) i will play them all note perfect etc. i would play them in a row one day...i would then say to myself 'i've done it.....I'VE DONE IT' . and be forever happy. is that how it ended for you?

i'd also like to point out that they are alot of people that just sit in there room and .......play video games.......get drunk........do drugs......etc. the list goes on. i think guitar is definetly the best addiction to have and it is not considered 'sad' like the above.

p.s. over the summer i practiced for 12 hours a day. 8:00 - 12:00 then 1:00 - 5:00 then 6:00 -10:00. i did this for about 2 months SOLID. i beat you in excessiveness

Thanks for the replies... but umm... most of ya should know my disposition towards music and I'm fairly practical about it. The problem with "technical development" is that I generally have no clue what that means. I've had an educated buddy of mine tell me to do scales and chromatics and stuff at very slow speeds and try to keep my fingers as close to the strings as possibe, to do it relaxed, etc... To me this is what I thought of as technical development, trying to maximize efficiency. One prob. is that I just don't play that way, I hang my thumb over the top and use my pinky every now and then to do "oblique bends" (i think they are called) and chords. I've never concentrated on speed, but I want to be able to play stuff that is just too fast for me. Say a repetitive 16th note passage during an improve... without it breaking down. I did do that "technique" development stuff for a while, and I really don't think it helped me one bit. I got my gains from learning songs, and trying to play them perfectly. I know playing more is just good, and that'll help my speed... but particulars that isn't mindless might help. Some things to clue in on for my particular case maybe for a reference point so theres a bit more tangible exercises that might be offered: check out this powertab...

Problem 1 - From Hendrix's Wait till Tommorow, I hold that chord shape and just move my ring finger... in the second measure, my syncronization sometimes breaks down, and my picking isn't crisp (I don't always hit the right string or hit more than just the strings I'm supposed to). I've been practicing it slower...but I still can't do it cleanly.

Problem 2 - In particular measure 5 - can't do that first hammer/pull comfortably and syncronized well, sometimes like 1/10 times I may nail it, but its still a problem for me. And I generally feel tight during that passage, like my hand isn't big enough to execute that... and my ring finger/middle finger do move out of position as I reach for that A note on the D-string.

Problem 3 - Something that might pop up during an improve, my fingers don't fret the string fast enough, and my picking isn't exactly effortless during those types of runs.

Problem 4 - Something that might be played over a Dm, my picking gets sloppy and tends to hit both strings.

Just as idea of some of the problems, I can locate my problems but finding out how to improve on them is a bit more difficult. Some of these I've posted before but no one responded.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

I think you should set your mind straight about what you want to achive on guitar. If your goal in life is to be able to play some Malmsteen, Vai and Paganini tune and you practice 12 hours a day to achive that, that´s o.k., it´s your hobby to play Malmsteen or Vai or whatever.

If you wanna have a career as a guitar player and musician than I´d consider that just a waste of time to play somebody elses tunes. Work on your technique but also work on what you wanna express with it and that should be your own thoughts, ideas and songs.

It´s one thing to able to play a song technically but it´s a whole different level to have written it!

Also, a song doesn´t need a lot of technique in it to be good, speed is just a small part of musical expression.

i have this vision. it enters my dreams. the vision that i will one day be able to play 10 hard pieces (malmsteen,vai,paganini) i will play them all note perfect etc. i would play them in a row one day...i would then say to myself 'i've done it.....I'VE DONE IT' . and be forever happy. is that how it ended for you?
    I´d say this is just the beginning! You´ll realize, now I have all this technique, what am I gonna do with it?

Once you´ve improved on technique you´ll start improving as a musician and I think the best musicians just skipped the technique part...
    It doesn´t help you write good songs and that´s what people will remember you for!

Aspiring Virtuoso
    hey Mateo150

well for problem 3 i would strick alternate those arpeggios. the reason why you are finding it hard is because you are working outside and inside of the strings and ITS REALLY HARD TO ALTERNATE PICK THROUGH ARPEGGIOS AT ANY 'DECENT' TEMPO.sorry for the screams but i remember practicing those type of arps myself.

for problem 4. YES, that is a hard one. i remember about 6 months ago. learning eugenes trick bag. it had that exact same picking sequence. it took WEEKS to get it near that tempo. i got there in the end. advice? work slow and build up speed. use strick alternate picking

i have provided a PT of what i think you should do before taking on 'going through multiple strings' like in the problem 4 and 5 areas.

the PT is speed ON ONE STRING. its easier to play faster on one string. you should IMO master this PT on ONE STRING at that tempo. becuase everytime you switch to other strings is becomes really complex. which is why it's so hard.
    Last edited by Arpetude; 03-28-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    wow, thanks Thorsten.

i am still unsure what i want to do . i'm sure most people on this board have no idea what they 'truly' want to get done.

i remember seeing a classical guitarist play these viruoso pieces. his goal was to perform these pieces in there entirety....he had no 'solo' album. they are alot of guitar players out there that have no creative drive, but i would consider that guitar player to be 'professional'. i have read alot on what makes a 'classical' guitarist, aparently classical guitarists aren't supposed to improvise AT ALL, just perform extremely hard pieces on guitar, where as other guitar players improvisation is a must!!. i know people that play guitar to a basic (power chord) level, thats cool to. what is the right path?. is there ONE right path for everyone. a 'one-size-fits-all-goal', HELL NO

hey i want to do everything. but i can't, no-one can .i do create ideas, work on technique, learn hard songs on guitar (i get there in the end, but it takes months to learn even one 'piece').

Thorsten, everyday i wish i could create the best main theme in the world (vais for the love of god), the best fugue (bachs toccata and fugue) the best riff (mettalica), the best neo-classical masterpiece (far beyond the sun). i do want to do what you say..but first i must PLAY many masterpieces before i create one. like when you first play guitar. first you must play 4 or 5 songs that have open-chords. THEN you write your own song with that knowledge.

far too long a post.

You sure you have the numbers right, I didn't list any problem 5, maybe your eyes haven't adjusted from spending 12 hours in that dark bedroom (insane, ridiculous, absurd)... and chromatics...errrr...

Aspiring Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo150
    chromatics...errrr...
    enjoy my little etude?

ah well. if you want to learn something a little more musical check out flight of the wounded bumble bee. its mostly chromatics. check out PTA for the john petrucci one. they are many variations so search for it. thats a perfect etude. i recomend entering a cave with no light for 12 hours a day with MY powertab but it's up to youself which sheet you choose. either way you still need to get in that cave

Well, I guess what it all comes down to is fun! If you´re having fun with what you´re doing everything´s all right!

BTW, arpetude, nice picking exercise there, I´d say the trick is to not lift your index finger. It´s an economy of motion thing.

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    thanks for that. so when did you 'get enough done'. when did you say to youself ' i've locked myself in my room for x amount of year's, i have now accomplished what i set out to do, now i'm gonna have a life'.

p.s. over the summer i practiced for 12 hours a day. 8:00 - 12:00 then 1:00 - 5:00 then 6:00 -10:00. i did this for about 2 months SOLID. i beat you in excessiveness
    Hahaha!!!

Ya make me think about my younger days...when i picked up my guitar and started practicing...the first 4 years...i used to practice 8 hours a day without stopping...every single say for, let's say, 4 years?? then I started Uni...and i also remember vanishing from Uni to attend special gutiar workshops and stuff like that...hahahaha!! pretty crazy...

And about your first question...i don't remember...but i just did it when i was around my 20's...say 21...and don't think that i quit practicing and playing...i'll tell you, once you get a technical edge, is kinda difficult to lose it...i mean, you can get a lil' dull, but you'll catch yourself up quickly...so i don't practice stuff nowadays as much as when i was a teenager...

David

This may shed a bit more light on my technical shortcomings... Yours ears may cringe at this. I find that on slower stuff its easier to spot all the flaws.

Dynamics control is bad, I have a tough time doing some string changes. Rhythm is off at some parts. I don't know how to get sustain on my notes. Left is all the flaws, no mix down of any kind. Clean tone setting. Lots of reverb and gain (much more than I usuallly use, I thought that might help with sustain). Forgot the song about 70% of the way in so I dubbed in that part, I played along with the powertab. Comments are welcome. What are the technical problems and what exercises besides repitition of the song do you use? Anything you think I should work on technique wise? I'll go that route if its not too boring rather than metronome picking which I know is boring... and the technical stuff will help with everything, so I wanna give it a shot. But what the hell is "technical"...

clip is of the outro solo...

Aspiring Virtuoso
    yeah Thorsten. people think we shredders are crazy practicing so much. people think we have taken the 'fun' out of the guitar by making it an intensive study. but i'd like to remind people i find practicing licks to the metronome fun. i love the metronome. 'as long as you have fun' . you are right. i hope everyone is having fun on guitar. i know i am.

Mateo150, could you shorten the PT. its just too long and i ain't heard the song before. so i can't really see the same mistakes you do. make a PT of the errors parts you are making. but as far as i can see it's at 135 but does not exceed 8th. so its probably got nothing to do with picking speed..more memory of where your LH goes next.

hope that helps

Well, maybe memory has something to do with it. I don't think its possible to tab the mistakes I'm making..... If someone knows how, clue me in. The clip is of the last part of the powertab. This is apart from the issue of speed, since it was said that speed is the byproduct of technique, which sounds right. So I submited this cuz Its hard to know where people lack technique without hearing them, I'm hoping some of the more experienced players can spot the mistakes and tell me how to begin to solve them, in non-cliched answers of course.

P.S. - Dave this is what I messaged you about, dynamics control on slow songs. Jumps too much for my liking.
    Last edited by Mateo150; 03-28-2005 at 10:16 PM.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    finally. the mic works!.

here is the etude that i came up for Mateo150 . it is a beutiful masterpiece. but honetly, this is just speed noise so please don't 'enjoy' the audio.

in the first one. i downpick the quater note then fill the 16th note division via alt. picking.i go at 140.then change to 160.180.200 then jump the gun and go at 250bpm.i am relaxed. i played each speed for 10 seconds or so, i could go for longer.

i made another one of me playing chromatics at 200bpm non stop for a minute or something. it is a composition that i call '200bpm mess'. enjoy.