Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry...

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar

Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry...

Worth it? I was scared away by his crazy beard on the cover.... Also, it's been said that Satriani himself went through the new Is There Love In Space? tab book correcting any errors along the way. Any validity to this? I'm gonna buy these as well as an instructional DVD dealing with improv and/or theory when I go to see Vai in April. Sometimes, living in a small town just sucks.......

Hey George,

Many excellent musicians have gone through chord chemistry but it is definitely not a "high yield" book. i.e., you would go through and acquire tons of new knowledge. I've even read an interview with Ted Greene where he said that he regretted writing it the way he did and that he wouldn't recommend his own book to other guitarists.

Another thing to consider is that if you really were after a comprehensive harmonic book you might consider Mick Goodrick's new book "Mr. Goodchord's Almanac of Guitar Voice Leading" Same vein as Greene's book only supposedly more comprehensive (I wouldn't know because I'm not into that kind of mechanical study of harmony).

Good luck.

Dan
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

I think you should buy it. All the serious students of jazz guitar that I know are big fans. I've spent the last 15 years learning stuff from it in bits and pieces. It has a lifetime of knowledge buried in there. I pick it up from time to time and work through the ideas. It is great for busting out of old patterns and ideas and getting a fresh perspective.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro
    I think you should buy it. All the serious students of jazz guitar that I know are big fans. I've spent the last 15 years learning stuff from it in bits and pieces. It has a lifetime of knowledge buried in there. I pick it up from time to time and work through the ideas. It is great for busting out of old patterns and ideas and getting a fresh perspective.
    Apparently Steve Lukather still studies it. I don't know if it would help my style or what though. I do a lot of shred and blues. Ah hell, I'll buy it anyway. I was kinda surprised that it wasn't this big thick novel.......Pleasantly surprised...