Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Lydian

Iīm over at a friends house, and weīre fiddling with Amplitube... I brought my trusty preamp, and figured I could give it a try. The guitarīs pretty nice ( my friends Ibanez RG ), yet the string action looks like it was set up for pedal-steeling... way above the fretboard, so it was tough to avoid some of the noises. But hey, it was a challenge =)
    Anyway, hereīs the first take ( I guess it shows that I havenīt touched the guitar for a couple of days now... )
    Eric

PS: Russ, I love the "Strictly..." threads, sorry I didnīt contribute a lot ( or at all... *blush* )
    Attached Files Attached Files

i love it! couple of glitches here and there (compared to mine its darn perfect lmao) but musically it goes down like hot chocolate on a cold night ... gotta steal some licks from there

and i love these threads, looks like lydia got the pro's on board too!!

keep at it russ
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by rmuscat

i love it! couple of glitches here and there (compared to mine its darn perfect lmao)
    I know... should have cut back on the beer before I did that one... but where would have been the fun then ? I didnt even plan to record anything tonight, and then I was handed a guitar and heard the words "Come on, itīs gonna be fun, letīs try that Amplitube thing..."

Thanks for the comments about the actual licks etc. I guess I should have added some comments about what kind of approach I used... lemme do that now real quick:
    I was trying to emphasize both the Lydian mode, and the respective ( C ) major scale, thatīs why I emphasized the notes F and C a lot.
    For the tapped parts and the 16th note repeating patterns, I was thinking in the "Lydian pentatonic"... I like modal pentatonics a lot, they help to really get into the actual sound / vibe of the mode.
    Some of the noise happened when I was tapping on the high E-string... I didnīt plan ahead, and suddenly got into this figure that I hadnīt really tried a lot before: tapping F, A and C on the high E-string. Since I was still holding the pick, I couldnt just use the other fingers of the right hand, so I had to move the hand a lot to get all the notes, and accidentially created some sliding noise on the low E-string in the process.
    Anyway, thanks again
    Eric

hey Eric, I really like some of licks there. The dive at the end was a cool idea. The lick between 0:40~0:50 definately sounds like you. I probably heard a similar run in one of your mp3 demos on ur website.

Thanks a lot for posting yours. It gives me more insight on a pro's perspective on soloing compared to mine. If you could give my track a shot and comment on it that would be awesome!
    Ax: Ibanez JEM7V, '80s Fender Stratocaster
    FX: DS-1 Ultra, Rocktron Chameleon
    HP: Hidden Content

Yeah, I use that a lot, itīs also in the ptb... you prolly heard it in "Hidden Creek", where I used it in a similar fashion.
    Thanks
    Eric

btangel,

now that I am done embarassing myself by posting first-take improv jams, I calmed down a bit and gave your take a listen... and I do like it.
    It has a nice melody. I think you did give it a lydian sound... even though the thread is about a lydian improv, you shouldnīt be TOO concerned about that, and instead play what comes to mind.
    I like the build-up, and how you move into the faster licks.. a lot of people usually go "slow-really fast-slow again", going from like 120 mph to 20 mph... I like to hear a build-up, or like a gradual increase instead. You did that, so thatīs cool.
    I liked it
    Eric

thx Eric your comments meant a lot to me.

I see you jammed over some other strictly threads. really appreciate it!! gonna check those out now. :P
    Ax: Ibanez JEM7V, '80s Fender Stratocaster
    FX: DS-1 Ultra, Rocktron Chameleon
    HP: Hidden Content

Coooool stuff, awesome tone there Eric!

Thanks for contributing I know it's tricky when you're busy. I'm enjoying doing the strickly's and I'm just about to post the next one in the series...second to last for the modes of the major scale boo...I'll have to think of something new to do.

Btangel I did listen to yours some time ago and forgot to to comment but as usual i really liked your ake and managed to get your Lydian tonality working great!

Great ideas with the modal pentatonic stuff Eric, plenty for me to think about there.

ps. Youguys need to get some sleep!!! 3am? You guys make me feel old...

Eric thanks a bunch for the tab ...

lmao Russ ... yeah 3am, its not age, just can't sleep lately
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

This is my take on the Lydian thing, nothing fancy either I'm playing on an Ibanez S-470 through a microtube to my soundcard so excuse the tone (the compression format didn't help either). This is also a first take (I'm going with Eric's approach on this one even though he obviously kicks my butt ) in the beginning you can actually hear me fishing for the notes to find the key I have said before improvisation is not one of strengths so don't bash me too hard

Anyway, enough excuses here it is:

Ps.Sorry it's zipped I couldn't get my mp3 ecoder to work
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

My excuse this time is that it's late and I'm tired, so plenty o mistakes in this one.

Very ncie Flathead, crazy satchy style tapping runs. Come across very fluid and very Lydian!

Tasty!

Hi, this is the first time I've posted anything with my playing so here goes nothin! Probably lots of mistakes but seems like if you spend too much time you go crazy heh. I used amplitube as well, not my first choice but it'll have to do.
    Never give up.

Very tidy playing there Levai, some great techniques on display and a very lydian tonality going on! great stuff! i thoroughly enjoyed that!

SteveH
    Hi All.

Here's my attempt at the Lydian. Not a mode I'd normally use, so I was interested in hearing how it would turn out.

Steve