Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Lydian

envelope filter? what makes it different from an effect etc?

don't shout i smell gear question here
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Envelope filter IS an Effect , Wah Wah Pedals ,,have a filter, too , some players keep the pedal on to get that nasel tone with the wah pedal , with out Rocking it . Rhoades did that alot .
    Envelope filter does it automaticly .

What sounds really killer is when the Talk box , is used as a Filter in conjunction with the Wah pedal . Kenny Wayne Shepperd and the guy from "Indiginous" use that tone , it get's a real Ten Ton Hendrix sound , it's awsome , unfortunately Talk Boxes are like the most expensive pedal effect out there , they're around 300$$ last time i checked , i've never heard a good digital simulation either . I know the Envelope filter on my ART rack doesn't sound as good as the DOD Pedal . Bizzaro really nailed it with that tone
    ________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks Speedy! Good explanation of those tones too. Mato Nanji (sp?) is the Indigenous guy. He's quite good at the SRV/Hendrix dealio.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

hmm interesting ... thanks guys!

Back in the saddle, fully refreshed from hols! Sick with worry about my guitars but glad to find they're all ok! phewwww.

Satch- much better second take. In key! yes, but dont forget all our Stricklys so far (apart from the penta one) have had no flats or sharps because they're all based the mopdes of the Cmajor scale.

...LOL, not sure about the "lydian king" tag I think that has to go to Thorsten and his fine take!

Bizarro - new amp sound likes a fine purchase, nice phrasing btw. Love the auto wah cum envelope follower option.

John Jumper - LOL, nice mp3 title! great mellowness, nice hook going, and thanks for the nod to the bass line.

Hugowin- by your own admission you weren't happy but I liked the overcooked tone. It started to sound almost fretless in places. defintely an idea for further development.

mateo- yes, thats the problem with the resolution to the one. but I think by accentuating the sharp 4 you avoided that nicely, defintely Lydian.

Hugowin, again thanks for the tip to do an article but I really won't be doing that. Mainly because I am not a pro player, never have been, and as such it would be wrong of me to hand out ill advice in a "how to play modes" style article. But I am having fun with the threads and I hope many people view, download and have a go themselves!

Speaking of many people, I count more then 10,000 views for the whole "strickly" series so far. If even 10% of those views were somone listening and learning something then thats great news!

...even if 5000 of them were me coming back to check on what everyone has done!

ps. while I was away I had some nice Mixo ideas...but in my mind it was A mixolydian which kind of breaks from the tradition of the modes of C major...but maybe it's time to do that. We'll see.

Keep em comin' and get yer mixo licks out!

heehe mixolydian. cant wait man. i will not disapoint either. i can see we got you in a good mood fresh back from holidays.

Thumbs up

Hey,

New to the boards, and what an excellent site you have here. I've spent an enjoyable evening listening to everyone's lydian jam sessions, there's some really talented guys/gals on here.

I used to play guitar loads when i was a teenager, but i kind of lost my motivation with it at some point, and as a result i've hardly played for the last 4 years or so. It's been something that's really bothered me, that i let it slip like that. But i always found i just couldn't get back to loving the guitar the way i used to.

But in the last few weeks i've started to play a bit more again, and i'm actually really enjoying it. I've spent loads of time snooping about on this site, there's some very inspiring articles on here, as well as some great guitar players.

Anyway, i just wanted to say cheers for inspiring me again. It's a long time since i've picked up the guitar and really wanted to play it.

I had a little bash at the lydian jam, but i'm not sure if i've got this attachment thing sussed yet. Hang on and i'll find out.....

EDIT: lol cool. Comments welcome.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

hey ted!

welcome to the boards!! Great to start in the "Strikly" series ..

and you don't seem to have lost any touch at all!! So if thats after so long without playing i can't imagine what you were up to before that!! Great licks ... keep it up!

Cheers for the welcome.

It's weird how your fingers kind of still remember where to go! Though it's not like i haven't played at all for all that time. But i would go months without even touching the guitar, then pick it up for a couple of hours and noodle away, and then get bored and not touch it again for another 3 or 4 months.

It's nice to pick it up with some kind of purpose again.

Welcome Ted! Nice stuff, very Lydian! You've got all the techniques and licks in there that's for sure.

How about finding one area of your playing you know you neglect and need to work on and then not playing anything but that for the next couple fo months? That will give you new inspiration. I found just picking up the guitar to play stuff I knewI could already play is what destroys your drive to keep playing. In a sense, why you get bored.

So, don't pick up the guitar and noodle, just play stuff you know you can't play instead!

That should get your creative vibe going again!

I'm a whole mode behind now....! Great takes from everyone on this and here is my effort. It's a bit repetitive I'm afraid.. but it does feature my first attempt at recording a harmony guitar part (don't think Brian May has much to worry about yet!).

I went for a call / response thing. The "cal" is Fmaj7 arp based idea that varies a bit each time and the "response" is a really simple melody that is alternately harmonised (on extra tracks) or tremolo picked. At the end I just kept going for a bit on tremelo picking, but there is no conventional solo as such here. I tabbed out the harmony part, so I could remember what to play on the overdubs, so I attached that as well on the miniscule chance someone would be interested

Overall I found the #4 hard to use so I don't think it's very lydian sounding...just major?

Hey Ash! Welcome back dude! We're both refreshed from our hols hopefully!

Liked the take there, I think it was Lydian in tonality. It's kinda hard to hear yourself once you've played ity a few times. i think I had the same problem deciding in the end if it was Lydian or not.

Comapred mine to Matthias and Rob's and it sounded more Ionian as theirs was obviously Lydian. but in the end I decided it must be Lydian even if the sharp 4 wasn't too prevalent.

Cool stuff, looking forward to your mixo!

Good to see you back on the boards!

Hi Russ, Thanks, holiday was good! Hope yours was too.. I'll catch up on the mixo in the next few days (I'll use work's superior internet bandwidth to hear all the takes).

These threads are a great motivator for trying out all the modes! It's good to hear that some folks are improving on guitar and recording tech at the same time. Now you are getting more takes from the pros as well which is cool too.

Ash

hey ashc hope all is fine!!

Nice take i have to say. Good use of multiple tracks. Nice, can't wait for your Mixolydian!

my take on it. I need some advice on using the lydian scale -"-. It was harder than I expected to make it sound right. Too tired (5am now) to do a retake...For now, here it is. Hope none of your ears bleed. -o-
    Ax: Ibanez JEM7V, '80s Fender Stratocaster
    FX: DS-1 Ultra, Rocktron Chameleon
    HP: Hidden Content