Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Lydian

nice guitarvampyre. enjoyed it a bunch. Smooth playing too!

satch dude - definitely much better!

edit: Niiiiiceeeeeeee tone bizarro! And cool mellow playing!! Is it just me or its in mono though?
    Last edited by rmuscat; 03-14-2005 at 12:55 AM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro
    Jeesh, I guess I'd better post something too! First take, tried to do something a bit different than the others I heard.

I'm experimenting with a new amp, Vox AD30VT. I'm using the line out feature into my mixer, then into the PC.

TK, you rock, as usual!
    Good tone , Cool Envelope Filter.it is only in one ear of my headphones though.
    ________
    White Widow Seeds
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks for the compliments! I've been itching to get some time to put some sounds down. I've been checking out these strickly threads for awhile and it's a great way to share improv ideas and hear other approaches.

Yep, I had some trouble with my sound setup. Sorry 'bout that. I thought it would make a stereo file but I was wrong... I record in Guitar Tracks, then mixdown to wave, then open it in Nero wave editor, fix the levels, and save it as MP3. Not exactly a seemless process! I had a virus last year that wiped out my setup, and I upgraded to a new system w/ XP and now everything is goofy.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

OK...Here is my attempt. I had to go for a bit more melodic feel since there is no way I compete on speed. And yes...aside from the bends there is one note that is not in the diatonic key of C Major (F Lydian)... I cheated ... ... !! I messed up but thought it sounded interesting ... Can you find that wrong note ... ...? That bass part was cool so I tried to do something that would allow it to show through...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Heya guys, been very busy lately practicing nonstop :P and of course stupid school taking up to much time! argh

been listening to all your takes on the phrygian and this one!
    Great stuff guys! I want to say so much about everyones but there are so many takes very inspiring stuff and I am learning alot trough listening to the various takes.
    UKruss! You should really write an acrticle about this as someone previously said
    I think alot of people who probobly don't browse the forums as we do would learn alot from it like we all have.
    I wanted to record some takes now but I just couldn't stand the sound or tone I was producing by my playing and amp, or at least I thought my amp was broken or something.

It turned out that my guitar was so poorly setup that I could almost hear her cry in agony poor thing! Been playing for a month or two without realising that I have been practicing with diffirent actions on the strings! Haha

I actually did record something before I set her up, it's small but hopefully I'll record something on this and the Phrygian one tommorow. Until then:

Wow, Mighty Thor there... that was inspirational. I wasn't gonna do one cuz I really don't know Lydian, I've never used it, ever before, and I wasn't really feeling it. But, I head Thorstens take there and decided to have a go at it. So today I tried to tackly this Lydian mode. This thread was real nice since I got to hear people using lydian; I don't really listen to music with "lydian mode" used in it, and if I do, I probably wouldn't have been able to really differentiate from major. I'm listening to all the takes right now...John, especially liked your version, nice motif (similar to Bizzaro's) and like that chorus you added there, went real nicely. Hugo, thats a funny take, I kinda imagined some corny type lyrics with that and thats a crowd pleasing song. Bizzaro, really good of course, would have been nicer If the record wasn't mono. Wah idea was cool too. GVamp, I'm jealous, I wish I was that good after 2 years of playing. Muscrat, nice one, enjoyed that. Satch, nice improvement, that first take hurt my ears. Mathias, whoa, I liked that alot, some tasty playing there, some lines reminded me of a Dark Star jam. Russ, always like your stuff.

Okay, like I said before, never did Lydian before. When I started fiddling around, It sounded like C major to me. I took thorsten's first couple notes and that kinda opened up my ears a bit. I then spent a couple of hours just playing the Cmaj scale and triad chords over the backing track, just trying to get my ears to key in on what makes Lydian different than major. Started trying to improv over it a little bit, I must say that most of my major type of thinking works over lydian as well, so that opened it up a bit more for me. Didn't do to many takes, so some parts sound really bad, the bends for one thing don't sound good to me, along with general sloppiness. Not much theory here, used a motif with the b5 or #4 of F. My though process switched between this and just playing in C maj. When I was thinking in C, I tend to use the relative triads of Cmajor. used one position mostly, didn't want to get to confuse myself.

P.S. - i really like the settings/ gear setup info Thorsten, I know nothing about that sort of stuff. I put the mic right on top of the amp, which looking back on it wasn't such a good idea since it seems the mic picked up the sound of its own vibration, thats not distortion on those rattly parts. Guitar, amp, no pedal, volume 3(amp) 5.5 (guitar) (the mic really determines that), Treble = 5, Bass = 5, Gain = 6, Reverb = 6.5, clean tone setting.
    Last edited by Mateo150; 03-14-2005 at 11:57 PM.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

johnjumper- really nice , melodic take. fine stuff. very nice to listen to.
    mateo150- not bad 4 a first lydian man. your playing is too subtle however, there are no notes that really grab you or stand out. its really passive playing.
    Hugowin- i dont wanna sound rude, but i highly disliked your take, i dont know why i just hated it to my ears. try again.
    bizzaro- didnt really like the wah sound, not bad but.

JohnJumper, good take! Loved that pedaltone part! Nice movement of intensity/dynamics!

Hugowin good start IMHO, but then i think you went to "noodling mode"! You tell us what you think!

Mateo150, nice one, good tone selection. JUST slighly low on volume. You have two guitars parts in there at some point? True or not it still sounds great keep it up

just my humble opinion as always
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Thanks Rob, and no, one guitar the whole time, where does it sound like 2? The volume is really determined by the mic, and some parts its more my sloppy playing not being able to nicely fret the note I want fast enough rather than the volume I set it at. But it happens (to me) when improvising.

As for "passive playing", well, yeah I guess I could be guilty of that. I tend to play/think more rhythmically and in that sense the stuff I hear tends to be a smaller phrase moving chromatically, adjusting the last note, whatever. But I think that my playing style is better for group playing, rather than soloing. And my climaxes occur as a rhythmic byproduct rather than a melodic one, but sometimes I stumble across a cool sounding note so I go with that. I also stuck to a lower register, aroung the 5th fret, so the "cool" shrill notes are probably in the higher registers to your ear. I guess I could have tried to throw one in, but I was having in good time where I was.

I personally liked your take mateo. It may be a little on the quiet side but still. As long as you had fun with it and it was a learning experience (what time hasnt anyone improvised and learned what sounds good and bad) then its all good. If you use cakewalk or somthing similar you can turn the volume up on your recorded volume part without increasing the backing track.keep and it and it will all get much easier
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

I know how to do a couple things with Cakewalk, like import the backing track and add certain effects. I don't know what most of the effects do, but I usually do the noise reduction, compressor, and equalizer. Thats all I did on this last track as well. How do you adjust the volume? Where did you learn how to use the program?

Well i fiddle alot with programs to find stuff out but if your using cakewalk studio on the left where it displays the audios you expand them and you can move the vol sliders more or less and another way is to select the track you recorded and goto "edit" then "Audio" and 3DB louder. Or reverse it and make the backing 3Db quieter. You can also depending on your sound card turn up the record volume.

PS: I just got alot of backing tracks (some random some for artists such as SRV and even satch and some vai plus prob more, havnt looked yet) off of Emule Plus and if anyone is interested in what i got or want any just msg me by my AIM or MSN in my profile.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 03-16-2005 at 02:06 AM.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo150
    I know how to do a couple things with Cakewalk ... How do you adjust the volume? Where did you learn how to use the program?
    What version of Cakewalk do you have?

I have been using it since version 5 whan it was called Cakewalk and not Sonar.... I am using Sonar 4 Studio now and each track in the "Track" view has a volume fader. Additionally you can create a track or a clip envelope and adjust the volume using that. The image shows where the volumn fader is in the Track view...

I learned to use the program by reading a lot of books and just spending hours and hours recording and manipulating stuff in the program...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnJumper; 03-16-2005 at 04:59 AM.

"bizzaro- didnt really like the wah sound"

That's an envelope filter. It's one of the canned presets in my new amp. I thought it would be different to use a typically "funk" tone in a mellow lydian vamp, especially if I didn't play funky stuff.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

I actually liked that Auto-Wa sound Bizarro. On my first versions of my take I was using the same sound...