Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Lydian

Speechless.

Fantastic stuff Thorsten, thanks for taking part... oh, and for making my backing track sound much better than it actually is, LOL!

Class.

I wonder if the Mrs will mind me studying your powertab all holiday...I'm also now wondering if there's any way I can sneak a guitar into the car with her noticing...hmmm

ps. cheers Sir Speedy I always like your takes!

UKRuss,

This is a great set of forum threads!!! Thanks for spending the time to put these backing track together!! Once you get the whole set down you need to write an article and include these recordings in it ... they are great.

I am trying to come up with something for this Lydian one... see if I can come up with anything.

Wow, great stuff thorsten. Really inspirational . How long have you been playing? I really love how your distortion is BTW, Yngwie has kinda the same thing that when you shred down towards the thicker strings it started to sound like a growl or somthing, I always love that tone . I wish i could play that cleanly over such a clean tone =P. Well heres my version, added various instruments and solo's and ect.. As usual just goto the site and click Lydian. Nothing special as in shredding but i kinda like the different melodies.

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/gtrvvampyre/

BTW: anyone know of a good free site that can host my music so you guys wont have to go to that crappy text site to listen cause angelfire wont let you directly link to a file and my files are always too big to put on the board (stupid cakewalk -.-). I just noticed the volume on it seems low so to hear the keyboard part you may need to turn it up some.

PS: How exactly is your guitar and amp set up to get that tone. Like gain wise and low,mid,high, settings or are you running it through a pedal or board?

And as always THANK YOU RUSS for your great backing tracks
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 03-13-2005 at 07:40 PM.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by GtrvVampyre
    http://www.angelfire.com/music6/gtrvvampyre/

my files are always too big to put on the board (stupid cakewalk -.-)
    GTR VMP , did you try adjsting the recoring Quallity for the MP3 ,to 64 Kbp Stereo?? that may work ,I'm using Mp3 to Wav converter (American Shareware ) to Shrink it down .
    ________
    SexyLichi
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Hey thanks guys! This is fun!

Vampyre, I used what I always use when recording stuff for iBreathe which is a Line 6 guitar port to get my sounds from and Steinberg Cubase software to record on.

The guitar port is a virtual amp thing which simulates guitar amps, speakers and effects devices just like a POD or V-amp except this one plugs directly into your PCīs USB port.
    Funny enough (just shows you that Line 6 makes real good simulations) I have the guitar port set up the same way I would set up my real stage gear which is basically a Marshall JCM 800 100w head (for real I use the Marshall DSL 2000 100w head) through a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with 75w Celestion speakers. My amp settings are:

Drive: 4-5 Bass: 3 Middle: 4 Treble: 4 Presence: 6 Volume: 10

I boost the signal with either an Ibanez Tube Screamer or Boss OS-2 overdrive pedal between guitar and amp. Overdrive is on 0-1.

Usually I use no added effects, just a slight reverb on recordings. Thatīs it!

For the Lydian one I used a cheap Dean Avalanche Strat copy (good guitar though...) with stock pick ups straight into the guitar port. (My main guitar is a custom ESP, please check my website for details)
    I use the volume knob a lot to control my sound. So to get a more clean tone (like in the beginning) I just cut back on the guitars volume and to have a full blown shred tone I just crank it. I think you can hear that very good in the recording.

Generally I believe you donīt have to have a whole digital effects pedal full of different sounds. I just need one good tone that I can play with and I get that from the Marshall.

Hope that helps!
    TK

I really like that keyboard stuff you throw in too GrtrVamp, great take. You should say a few words about what you're doing on the keyboard side, I know there's a few guys and ladeez too on the boards who play keys or are getting into it.

My pleasure in providing the backing tracks guys!

The most pleasing thing for me in doing these threads is that I think some of the regular posters are really getting to grips with modes in their basic form and learning the "sound" of the modes, for me thats really what its about. It all starts to fall into place.

JohnJumper, many thanks. But I think I'll leave the article writing to the pros though... In the mean time looking forward to your take!

But now I really am going on holiday, so catch you next week guys!

ok isnt the song in the key of E? i have no idea. or was it f?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsten
    Here?s my take on it! This is fun, I love playing to backing tracks. This is a first take, improvised version and I guess there?s some wrong notes in there but what the heck...

Lick Lydia

I powertabed one of the licks I played. Kinda reminiscent to a lick Yngwie would use very often and a good one string picking exercise.

TK
    Nice! Good track , Thorston . Nice use of intervals .checked out the Power Tab
    i wouldn't have known it was that Yngwie lick, unless you pointed that out .Cool
    ________
    Beverly4u
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:34 AM.

ok ill give it another shot

The song is in F Lydian btw satch. Well the keyboard parts are easy because you make your backing tracks in different keys for the different modes but the scales stay in the same place. Well with the way they are at then all the Natural (white) keys are part of the mode. So you can just doodle around on the them and come up with a nice melody over the backing track. Btw i can assume the next with Be a "G" Mixolydian =P?

PS: Yeah, i put it all the way to the lowest quality but it still never changed the size. It's always been like that >.o. What mp3 to wav program are you using? All the ones i get make my Mp3 go from like 3mb to 32mb or such.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 03-13-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by satch_master
    ok isnt the song in the key of E? i have no idea. or was it f?
    It's F lydian, I assumed we're cycling through the modes in such a way that the same scale positions apply (albeit with a different interval with respect to the root for each different mode).

So we have:
    C Ionian
    D Dorian
    E Phyrgian
    F Lydian

With these to come (hopefully):
    G Mixolydian
    A Aeolian
    B Locrian

ok, should be bit better, and im in tune lol.

i like F lydian, why because there all natural notes, no sharps or flats, ABCDEFG. yeah.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Muuuch better satch . You have definately improved since the first take i heard you play back in the ionian i believe. I love the legato sounds. This has to be the most beneficial (set of) threads ever =P. BTW i did remember one easy way to get you playing songs on a keyboard in seconds is tranposing chords from guitar into chords on keyboard or piano. Say with a "C" Chord you start on the C key then move up 4 keys (in order, counting the black ones too) then go up 3 more keys in order counting the black ones and you have a C major chord. (If you have bad theory and dont know the notes that make up a C chord (trust me im bad at it too) This is the cheating way, lol. To make any chord a minor just take that middle note and move it down 1 key (chromatically). For a really good reffernce (this has to be the 7th time i'v mentioned this site)

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

(you can also select guitar from the drop menu) And you just click any chord you want to see or any scale and it displays a one octave form of it. Course the other octaves are just replicas.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 03-14-2005 at 04:17 AM.

thanks 4 the kind words gtrvampire. i really liked yours aswell, nice melodies and piano/guitar stuff. not much shred in yours, but i like it like that. russ is still king.lol.

Jeesh, I guess I'd better post something too! First take, tried to do something a bit different than the others I heard.

I'm experimenting with a new amp, Vox AD30VT. I'm using the line out feature into my mixer, then into the PC.

TK, you rock, as usual!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content