Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Strictly Lydian

Theres nothing in this peice that needs any real explination. Other than an apology for the bum notes and some copyright violations

peace.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

That's a really sweet tone there, very pretty melodies and classically dream Lydian. Love it!

Very nice. Agree on the nice tone. Playful phrasing too. Keep it up!

thanks alot guys

Im actually recording with a DI into a little laptop. So asside from the reverb i added in Adobe Audition its all raw Viva.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Avant Guardian
    I know this is a very old thread but I just discovered it. I do so much agree about Satriani's "Flying In A Blue Dream" as being a definitive Lydian mode rock song.

A while back on another guitar site a "Lydian Jam" occured in which a member posted a backing track, just a C vamp.

I did two different takes, both completely improvised. The first take I did and meant it to be original, but had subconciously ripped off Satriani with a very "Flying In A Blue Dream" inspired theme. I really did not mean to reference Satch, but Lydian in the key of C kinda brings that melody to my mind's ear. It is such a great example of a nice dreamy Lydian melody. So I thought I had improvised this nice little theme that I intended to later devolop into an actual composition, but then it was pointed out that it very strongly resembled Satch's tune. ( Too bad the playing isn,t as good.... )

Here is a link if you would like to hear it....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=3215464

After realizing that the above tune was not my own, I figured I would do another improve on the same backing track and post it, so below is the alternate take.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=3230160

I love the Lydian mode but thanx to Vai and Satch you really cannot play a Lydian tune without someone saying it sounds like one of them. I am also fond of Phrygian mode melodies too.

I can be problematic composing progressions to use with modal melodies, but it is in these types of "problems" that the opportunity for creativity arises.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Cool

Do you record in a studio?

I like the ideas, perhaps a bit more of a theme wouldn't go a miss though.

I don't think it's that you stole Satch's tune so much as used a few of his licks. Nothing wrong with that!

Nicely Lydian!

Avant Guardian
    Joey D, I do often work in a studio but usually my own stuff I just do at home, at least lately. These particular tracks were just the TOnelab direct to PC.....

Newfie Rock Guitarist furiousnewf's Avatar
    Here's my Satch like attempt, comments welcome!

PS Russ, how about a strictly Christmas or something... We could post our favorite Christmas shards!!!!

Inspired I had another blast in a Lydian stylee.

Xmas eh...Lemme see...

Hi Russ, Sounds like you've had time to practise a lot lately. Impressing playing. You have really getting hold of the very fast picking.

G-Hard
    In Malyasia - testing the hotel broadband connection... which works .. even with Russ' mp3 files

The GMan!

Thanks for the kind words. Malaysia a long way from the sights and sounds of Denmark street! Not sure about the practice, wish i could have more time, just decided not to avoid faster stuff anymore (used to try and be more melodic) now i think it's just fun eh?

Would be good to have another London catch up soon, lemme know when you're coming over. Cheers.

http://media.putfile.com/Lifting-The...The-Blue-Dream

How about that? Ignore the ending, I forgot what key I was in

Might have another go at it and post up take two.
    We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground, and the Russians fire another round...

Another great tune in lydian.

I just recently found this instrumental by pink floyd that explores almost exclusively the lydian mode. Simply majestic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKMSnWznnMk

This mode is for sure is the parent scale of all diatonic scales. When in songs the key centre goes to other corresponding modes I always had this slight dissappointment, a feeling of degradation. This is aural peace, no struggle to resolute, absolute unity.