Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Lydian

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Strictly Lydian

See what I've done there? Do you? Hmm?

NOOOOOOOOOO! I hear you say. true and understoos but in reality actually: YES!

Lydian Mode: The "Dream Mode" in my mind defined by Satriani's Flying In A Blue Dream.

You'll hear me pay homage to the man and the track in my version I'm sure, so apologies to Satch in advance...I know he listens to all my stuff

There is also a great thread elsewhere on the boards about Lydian mode and the lack of chord progressions or otherwise for the mode.

This suits us fine for Strickly work as we try to be more creative by cramping the chord progression. In this case a two chord vamp. But the thread also goes on to say one of the main reason for this is that the mode being played over the classic IV V progression also has the tendency to want to resolve to the I and before you know it you are back to Ionian square one.

To avoid this, and this is what we have done here and as in Satch's Blue dream, the introduction of a solid bass line running on the IV gives it that Lydian quality.

Having said that I think you'll hear parts in mine that are aching to resolve to the one.

I am not happy with my soloing but had some fun with a bit of amateur slap bass instead!

I attach my version, of course, plus a backing track for you guys to dream over in Lydian stylee.

ps. I'm off on holiday for a week, so no comments from me til I get back.

As always...

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice Satch reference there, I don't really listen to the guy and I could tell it was him, so good job on that. As always, thanks for the backing.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

here's my take. nothing really fancy. of course i put my now signature "bad timing" parts in the middle of the track lol

take out the cat! i didn't really obesses about perfection or it would have never ended for God's sake.

nothing much to explain really. let me know if you really have a question.

nice backing track russ reminds me of old floyd (sorry for breaking your heart about being satchy). Your shot was ok in general IMHO. Loved the tapping and satrianesque harmonic rocket buzzing off with tremolo thing

lmao just relistened to my version and satriani came up after in the the playlist .... strikly (haha) speaking i don't feel like posting this anymore now!

NP Joe Satriani - The Forgotten (part 1)

(FINALLY solved, large attachment my bad)
    Last edited by rmuscat; 03-12-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Ah! Shame Bobby! Was lookin forward to that! Keep workin on it, I know you will

Always difficult to write and play your own stuff when you've been lsitening to someone like Satch!! (apologies about gaps,lol, daughter is pressing spacebar fornn me!!)

Yes...I know..I'm on holiday...but actually I'm not going til Monday...working on PC til then. Boo.

ps. Yeah backing track is not toooo Satchy thats true. Floydy yes, I see that now.

I love the way Satch does his rising harmonics with the trem arm, its such a tough technique the way he does it. I think he drops the volume pot, depresses the bar, bring his left hand up to hold the bar down, plays the pinch harmonic at the bridge pick up with his right and then lifts the bar with his left after quickly swelling the volume up again!...

LOL, I do it by diving first and pulling off the string before touching the harmonic on the 5th fret, the raising ther bar and at the same time swelling the ol' fav "whammy" pedal set to an octave higher....a cheat maybe? I dunno, Satch uses a whammy too so it's valid as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by UKRuss; 03-12-2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: more feedback

attachment trouble ... coming up!

satch is one of the guys who really makes me feel like quitting. But on the other hand he and Pink Floyd are the guys make me get back to it

fixed: ANYONE i'm happy with ANY comment especially negative ones and maybe heads up and tips for problematic issues let me know
    Last edited by rmuscat; 03-12-2005 at 08:03 PM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Gilmour and Satriani.

I need no more reasons to want to play the guitar, If I was only allowed to listen to those two players for the rest of my life I'd still die a happy man.

Regestered User
    It sounds lydian! So you succeeded and maybe think about chord melodies and pedal tones. Using your open strings to really drone through some passages. Lydian IS very dreamy and that's why I love it. I'd like to hear you experiement with throwing the diatonic Major 7 with a sharp 11 chord in there. But letting all the tones ring out in succession like a piano with the sustain pedal down. Fun post.
    Only a bad carpenter blames his tools.

Theres nothing in this peice that needs any real explination. Other than an apology for the bum notes and some copyright violations

peace.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Inspired I had another blast in a Lydian stylee.

Xmas eh...Lemme see...

Hi Russ, Sounds like you've had time to practise a lot lately. Impressing playing. You have really getting hold of the very fast picking.

G-Hard
    In Malyasia - testing the hotel broadband connection... which works .. even with Russ' mp3 files

The GMan!

Thanks for the kind words. Malaysia a long way from the sights and sounds of Denmark street! Not sure about the practice, wish i could have more time, just decided not to avoid faster stuff anymore (used to try and be more melodic) now i think it's just fun eh?

Would be good to have another London catch up soon, lemme know when you're coming over. Cheers.

http://media.putfile.com/Lifting-The...The-Blue-Dream

How about that? Ignore the ending, I forgot what key I was in

Might have another go at it and post up take two.
    We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground, and the Russians fire another round...

ok, heres my take

ok heres my take, no virtuiso chops on display here or satch solos. this is one of the first takes, i kept trying to better it but couldnt do much with my limited skills. still sounds good. kept it simple, cause when i tried soloing 2 much it sounded like a wank and was just out of the music. russ is lydian king. i might do a better one another day. mines not crap, its just mediocre.

Nice take Russ, Cool effects, chops & phrasing! Good stuff.

Rmuscat, I like your tone, not too much distortion. Cool melodies & phrasing too.

Satch, sounds like you have some cool ideas & melodies going on there, but you gotta tune your guitar! It's hard to tell how good it really is when it's nearly a quater of a tone flat!

MattiasB, good tone too. Great use of dynamics and phrasing. Cool.

How many more times can I say melodies & phrasing in one post?
    Last edited by MattW; 03-13-2005 at 01:19 AM.

Hearing Bobby and Matthias has made me realise how essentially Ionian mine was beginning to sound!!!

Good stuff and essential in demonstrating that Lydian flavour! Nice.

Satch, thanks for the kind words even if I totally disagree with all the satch comparisons!

I guess I have to echo Matts words, your clearly out of tune by some margin, but that aside some nice ideas! Have another bash once you've dug the tuner out!

Of course,,,I'm not here...on holiday...going soon. I promise.
    Last edited by UKRuss; 03-12-2005 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Not here