Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Scratched Axe

Scratched Axe

Hey everybody,

I recently scratched my guitar (not terribly) and was wondering if there's any possible way to fix it. My brother said try toothpaste but that didn't work. I think i might by some of that stuff that they use to get the scratches out of cars (you know the commercial). Do you think that would work? Any other brilliant suggestions? Thanks.

Personally I think a couple of scratches give a guitar some character. But, if you don't agree, try a search here and on google, I'm sure the topic has been discussed before.

Although, the mods might consider this a gear question, tough call there.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Duraglit metal polish removes slight scratches, especially pick scratches on the scratchplate.

Why are you so bothered about it? In a couple of years, the guitar will be covered in them if you play it regularly.

I just had the same issue. My 1 yr old took her toy and made a roadmap out of it. It had to be broken down to seal it and buff it out. The guy told I could do it myself w/ rubbing compound or pay the $100....it was worth the $100....but I agree that it gives character, I just did not need that much!

Ah...cover the scratch with stickers.

what color is the guitar? but dont freaking worry bout it

You guys are right, I can't let that stuff bother me. I mean I don't think Eddie Van Halen ever cared about scratching his guitar when he pryed out his pick-up with a screw driver.

Have you seen Zakk Wyldes guitars, especially the red confederate flag, bottle-cap covered one. This thing has the paint peeling off of it with the wood showing and all and he's had that guitar for years. Not to mention the original Les Paul Gibson Bullseye that he has. On the back it's pretty much bald becuz the back of his guitar kept rubbing up against his chain that he wears for his wallet or whatever. I agree on that scratches and nicks in the paint job add character. I would owrry alot though if the neck was cracked...lol...but then again who wouldn't?
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

silly bass player
    I like Clapton's Brownie and Blackie, and Rory Gallagher's strat. Guitars are meant to be played, not looked at.

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oRg
    Have you seen Zakk Wyldes guitars, especially the red confederate flag, bottle-cap covered one. This thing has the paint peeling off of it with the wood showing and all and he's had that guitar for years.
    He actually stripped the paint off that deliberately, cause the guy from poison was using the same one and he didn't want to be associated with him

I recently put two BIG chips in the top of my Ibanez after dropping it, but it does actually look kinda cool and it doesnt affect the tone or playability of it at all (thankfully)

If you really want to get rid of small scratches though, you can get some wax type stuff that does it fairly well. Here is the one dunlop make
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    I like Clapton's Brownie and Blackie, and Rory Gallagher's strat. Guitars are meant to be played, not looked at.
    And don't forget SRV's main 2 Sunburst Strats!!

silly bass player
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblack850
    And don't forget SRV's main 2 Sunburst Strats!!
    You got that right!

Some day my Legacy will be beat to hell, and I'll be proud of it.